Central Associate School

charlie11

Hi Im new to this forum so wanted to say Hi.

Does anyone know or know of what the central pre senior asscoiates are like

and what the auditions require. 

My DD Is a Ja and attends the cba at Tring.

But looking at different avenues if she is not fortunate to gain a Ma place.

x

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello welcome to the forum. Just to say as a teacher was very happy with the standard of care and teaching to pupils of mine who were associates at Central.

Not got any there at moment though but others on this forum should be able to give more up to date information.

• Like 1

Agree with hfbrew - I have had a couple of pupils there in the fairly recent past and was very pleased with the way they progressed.  Both had been mid associates with RBS but didn't get SA.  I don't have anyone there at present, but don't think anything has changed, so would thoroughly recommend it.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum charlie11.  :)

Again, no direct experience, but heard lots of good things from several people I know who go, or have been there.  Actually, I think the older students get a better range of teaching than being at RBS associates, where they "only" get a ballet class.  ;)

• Like 2

my dd went  to Central and left last year. she was in her last year and hardly did any pointe work, maybe every 3 weeks or so.

she also went to LJB and there she did a class of pointe only with Miss Maden who is  brilliant. she use to teach at Central but left a couple of years ago. 

LSB and LJB  highly recommend. My dd wished she never left there.

Hi spax did your daughter go to central associates or central senior school. My daughter attended the senior associates for the Royal Ballet and even there they didn't do a huge amount of point work just lots of good strong technique exercises.

• Like 1

Central Associates. Completely different teachers to Central full timers. Loved contempory there though. Even Advance 1 she didn't enjoy there. At one stage my dd said every week they did the same work, she and some others stopped going.

Central Associates. Completely different teachers to Central full timers. Loved contempory there though. Even Advance 1 she didn't enjoy there. At one stage my dd said every week they did the same work, she and some others stopped going.

The RAD teachers are not the same teachers who teach Associates at Central, so to be fair whether your dd enjoyed Adv 1 (or not) it has no bearing on the Associate programme. If I remember rightly the Pre-Senior Ladies teacher was taken ill unexpectedly so that class may have had a cover teacher for a while.

The ballet teacher for Preps 1, 2 and 3 can be strict but she demands - and gets - the best out of the girls. There is certainly pointe work in the classes; a very little halfway though Prep 1, a bit more in Prep 2 and by Prep 3 it is a half hour pointe class.

Preps are subject to passing a yearly appraisal; sometimes girls are asked to repeat a year and sometimes they are assessed out.

• Like 4

Apparently no one got into full time Central from the associates then a few weeks later asked to audition again but they had already accepted places elsewhere? For my dd LSB was more demanding and she wished she stayed there.

But fir the full time students its brilliant!

Just to point out though associate schemes are there to work in conjunction with your normal dance school. There were also some girls at my daughters associates eh also unfortunately did not secure a place at a vocational school. They were beautiful dancers but there are so many really good dancers out there. One of these girls was on the waiting list for full time training at central she was invited back for a further audition but unfortunately didn't get a place this time.

Hi Tulip, I agree with you. But listening to some of the mum's at Central Associate who girls dance school was Central and had been going there since they were 5,6,8 and 10 year olds you would think at least a couple would have got in. They were shocked to say the least.

But saying that I have also noticed a lot of 16 year olds that never got in one year got in the following year at same school. I wondering if some girls might have pulled out because they miss home, not what they thought it would be or were not ready at 16 so the schools are looking more at 17 year olds.

Spax, when you say that the girls "has been going there since 5,6,7,8 and 10" I assume you mean they had been going to the Junior/RAD classes? Don't forget those classes are not selective and are completely separate to the Pre-Senior programme which is audition entry from age 11.

• Like 2

I don't know why they didn't get in but I know that we have quite a few international students in the first year. The one thing that I heave learnt out of the audition process is that there are just so many talented dancers out there who will be coming from all over the country and the world for these very few spaces. Another thing to note quite a lot of the students in my daughters year did not go to vocational school, they were Royal Ballet Associates and clearly they went to really good dance schools. I hear what you are saying Spax about if they are good enough for their associates, why aren't they good enough for the school? Probably the same reason as hardly any one from the Royal Ballet associates gets takent into the Royal Ballet 6th form.

Glad your daughter is happy at Ballet West Spax, and if she really wanted to, she could audition for Central for next year but I can imagine she is very happy where she already is.

She's loving it. On tour in the Nutcracker at the moment and only a first year student. Off to China next year on tour! Drove up and watched it in Greenock Sat....beautiful and Sarah and Johnathon's Pas de deux was exquisite. I don't think I am going to get dd to come back to London!

• Like 2

Following on from what Tulip said, I heard from the mum of a London SA this week that she hadn't got a final audition for US, and that none of them in the class had.  It's tough out there!  (But bear in mind that almost half the places will be taken by WL girls, then a majority of the rest to international students, the odd other vocational student.... that doesn't leave much room!)

• Like 1

Getting back to the original question about Central, don't forget they have Dance Days there to give a taster of the school. Their Spring Course at Easter is also very good for getting the feel of the school before Pre-Senior auditions.

Hi Spannerandpony

I've looked on several occasions at the Dance Days unfortunately they have always clashed with the girls being away . At some point my younger dd will hope to do the spring course. I'm sure with the funding the places at Central are going to be even more sort after. I have to concentrate on big sister getting a 6th form place at the moment.

Big dd was at Elmhurst last summer and the BRB dancer that taught her had been to Central and he couldn't speak highly enough of the course there , sadly even he couldn't convince her to apply .... It's MT all the way :(

• Like 1

Can we keep this thread to discussing the Cental associates course. I appreciate your enthusiasm for YDA Spax but please put comments about that school on the YDA thread otherwise people will find any useful info difficult to find. I'll post a link here later when I get on the computer (or someone else can in the meantime).

• Like 1