Experience of Junior Masterclass in Prague

Hi 

Does anyone have any experience of attending Junior Masterclass in Prague? My daughter has been offered a place, it looks great but would l like to hear what people thought of it and if it is worth the considerable expense! Thanks 

My DD was in the inaugural junior group last year. She really enjoyed the experience of being in an intensive overseas and she has been aware of IBM Prague’s (seniors) excellent reputation over the years and so we were both excited when we found out they started a juniors group last year. Because of this reputation though, it’s very well known amongst full time vocational students and so I think my DD was one of the very few in her group who wasn’t a full time vocational student. A lot were also not from the U.K. The standard is high, though my DD said doable and she didn’t really feel out of depth (though I’m not sure how accurate this is as she’s never really been the type to get overwhelmed, and never seems to notice or pay attention to others.). As with a lot of these intensives, you get quite close-knit groups of young dancers who come from the same vocational schools and they would naturally stay together. My DD isn’t one who needs to be in a group and never really minded attending courses where she didn’t know anyone so this was never an issue. But this is one thing to keep in mind - that there will be lots of people who already know each other. My DD did somehow manage to find herself with another non-vocational UK dancer, and formed a very good friendship and they ended up in the same associates programme back in the UK. 

Prague is lovely, and 5 or so days is enough to see a lot of the sights. I found a reasonably priced hotel less than 5 mins walk away from the studio which was wonderful. Again, because my daughter isn’t really part of the usual ballet school crowd, I didn’t know a lot of the parents but this meant I got to spend a lot of time with my DD whilst there. After her classes, we ate, we shopped, we walked around, watched too many movies back in the hotel in the evenings.  I think that’s what I loved most about that trip - that I got to spend a lot of quality time with my DD, way more than what we usually have when we are in the U.K. with our often busy schedules. 

Whilst there, we also got a 20 minute photo shoot slot with Photography by Ash, who are amazing. My DD hates having her photos taken but she has always loved Amber, and Ash is the only photographer that my DD has ever had her one photo shoot with around 4 years ago. 

I must say that the students we saw there were mostly very intense and focused. These were not hobby dance students. My DD dances for the fun and love of ballet (with no intention of a dance career or going full time), but still enjoyed it, so I think it can cater to all demographics. Most of the videos and clips you will see on social media will be of the full time students, who would often still rehearse and practice during breaks, amongst themselves. Overall a really enjoyable experience for my DD and but be aware that most there would be very serious students who are about to participate in auditions or who are already full time. And the non-U.K. students are extremely advanced. Most also arrive in Prague already having come from other intensives already and will go on to other intensives, with Prague as just another stop in an intensive-full summer. My DD found this out as she went to Prague after not dancing for a couple of weeks since her school ended. Hers were probably the only joints creaking on the first day from lack of dance and exercise prior to the intensive! 😂

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

My DD was in the inaugural junior group last year. She really enjoyed the experience of being in an intensive overseas and she has been aware of IBM Prague’s (seniors) excellent reputation over the years and so we were both excited when we found out they started a juniors group last year. Because of this reputation though, it’s very well known amongst full time vocational students and so I think my DD was one of the very few in her group who wasn’t a full time vocational student. A lot were also not from the U.K. The standard is high, though my DD said doable and she didn’t really feel out of depth (though I’m not sure how accurate this is as she’s never really been the type to get overwhelmed, and never seems to notice or pay attention to others.). As with a lot of these intensives, you get quite close-knit groups of young dancers who come from the same vocational schools and they would naturally stay together. My DD isn’t one who needs to be in a group and never really minded attending courses where she didn’t know anyone so this was never an issue. But this is one thing to keep in mind - that there will be lots of people who already know each other. My DD did somehow manage to find herself with another non-vocational UK dancer, and formed a very good friendship and they ended up in the same associates programme back in the UK. 

Prague is lovely, and 5 or so days is enough to see a lot of the sights. I found a reasonably priced hotel less than 5 mins walk away from the studio which was wonderful. Again, because my daughter isn’t really part of the usual ballet school crowd, I didn’t know a lot of the parents but this meant I got to spend a lot of time with my DD whilst there. After her classes, we ate, we shopped, we walked around, watched too many movies back in the hotel in the evenings.  I think that’s what I loved most about that trip - that I got to spend a lot of quality time with my DD, way more than what we usually have when we are in the U.K. with our often busy schedules. 

Whilst there, we also got a 20 minute photo shoot slot with Photography by Ash, who are amazing. My DD hates having her photos taken but she has always loved Amber, and Ash is the only photographer that my DD has ever had her one photo shoot with around 4 years ago. 

I must say that the students we saw there were mostly very intense and focused. These were not hobby dance students. My DD dances for the fun and love of ballet (with no intention of a dance career or going full time), but still enjoyed it, so I think it can cater to all demographics. Most of the videos and clips you will see on social media will be of the full time students, who would often still rehearse and practice during breaks, amongst themselves. Overall a really enjoyable experience for my DD and but be aware that most there would be very serious students who are about to participate in auditions or who are already full time. And the non-U.K. students are extremely advanced. Most also arrive in Prague already having come from other intensives already and will go on to other intensives, with Prague as just another stop in an intensive-full summer. My DD found this out as she went to Prague after not dancing for a couple of weeks since her school ended. Hers were probably the only joints creaking on the first day from lack of dance and exercise prior to the intensive! 😂

Thank you so much for your reply that’s all really helpful. 😊 

My DD wants to go to vocational school at 16 so I think this will be really good for her. She is very focussed on ballet. Thanks for the heads up that most are vocational students I think she would be ok with this but it’s really helpful to know beforehand. 
Can you give me the name of the hotel you stayed in? It sounds perfect! I’d rather go to one someone has recommended! 😊

• Like 1