Pointe shoe recommendations for arched feet?

Legseleven

I'm more and more inclined to order the Sonata hard shanks (very irritating that we can't ask our local dance shop to order them in, must be ordered direct from Bloch!) .....

Have you tried asking another shop? My dd's friend wears those, and I think her local shop orders them for her.

I have emailed the London Bloch store; they confirm that they will send Serenade hard shanks to their stockists but not Sonata hard shanks...?! I do think this is ridiculous and have told them so - I would like DD to be able to try them on for the opinion of the dance shop owner and her teachers as usual but apparently the only option we have is to try on the regular shank Sonatas in the shop, then order them ourselves in the appropriate size and width direct from Bloch London.

I pressed for a reason why they won't send the Sonata hard shanks to their stockists but didn't receive one. I suspect that the Serenades are one of their most popular models and perhaps that is why they will send Serenade hard shanks, but cannot imagine why they won't do the same for Sonatas.

I found also I could only get them via bloch directly as had been searching for cheaper version via the cheaper online suppliers having got first pair fitted in london. Shame they can't be accommodating via a local shop.

Legseleven - I have messaged DD and will let you know when she gets back to me.  I hadn't realised you could not buy the Sonata from your local shop or stockist as that is where we bought DDs - we bought Serenade hard shanks and wanted 2 pairs but they only had one in stock.  The fitter then brought out the Sonata and did say something about London and special order but it was months ago and had slipped my mind.  Her last 4 pairs have been 3xFreed and the disastrous Grishkos - more from only being able to fit in one shop on visits to London.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just an update to this thread - DD currently wearing Bloch Serenade strong shanks and both she and her teachers consider them the best pair of shoes she's had :) I think they are more square and have a lower profile than the Bloch Sonatas, which seems to suit her feet better just now. Plus the bonus of their being available via our trusted supplier rather than having to order Sonata strong shanks direct from Bloch!

They are still creaking as she rolls up or down through them, as I commented on a different thread, but haven't died yet so I think they must just be a loud pair of shoes! She is alternating different pairs and they all seem to have that comedy squeaky element, to a greater or lesser extent...

My dd wore Serenade Strong for a while, and I seem to remember that the first few pairs were fine, and later ones were a bit creaky. Perhaps they've changed the way they make them or something? If your dd gets the chance it might be worth her trying on some Russian Pointe Rubin's - dd has changed over to those, and said she wouldn't go back to Serenades now.

Also, she used to have strong shanks, but now has medium and/or 3/4 shank ones and says she can work her feet much better in them. They probably wouldn't have suited her when she was new to pointe but surprisingly, considering her really high arches and insteps, they are great.

• Like 1

Thank you, taxi4ballet, we will look out for Russian Pointe Rubins!

These are the first strong shank shoes she has had and at the moment she likes them very much (as do I as we aren't forever having to deal with dying/dead shoes!) but we are certainly open to other suggestions, so are very grateful for your recommendation.

• Like 2