Pointe shoe recommendations for arched feet?

Legseleven

My DD has very arched, narrow, compressible feet, with long toes, the first three of which are almost the same length. I wondered whether anyone could recommend pointe shoes that have worked for those with similar feet? She has had Bloch Sonatas previously, which worked well for her and didn't die too soon, so could go back to those. Her current pair are Bloch Axis and lasted two lessons! even though we deliberately didn't use the hairdryer to soften the shanks on the recommendation of her fitter and her teachers. She tried Grishko Vaganovas and Freed Classic Pros yesterday, both of which she liked and were recommended by the fitter - a different fitter, as we weren't able to go to our usual shop - we bought the Freeds and will obviously have these approved by her teachers. However, having now researched it seems to me that the Grishko Vaganovas would have been the better choice for her type of feet.

We can of course return the Freeds if her teachers don't approve them, so all is not lost...I just wondered whether any of the knowledgeable folk on this forum were able to advise?

Did the Freed Classic Pros have the harder shank? Obviously it depends on the maker but I find that they don't last as long as Grishkos and my daughter doesn't have a high instep. She also doesn't break shoes easily so if your dd does kill shoes quickly the Freeds may not last overly long.

Having said that, the hard shank from Freed is obviously more durable.

• Like 1

I have a very similar foot and have worn Bloch Sonatas since I started pointe. I recently began wearing Freed Studio IIs... they fit my foot better than the Sonatas ever did, and seem to last longer as well. I'm finding they support my highly-arched feet much better compared to my previous Blochs. There are quite a few variations of that one type of Freed... I went to a shop that specialized in Freed shoes and there was definitely a huge range available. Just a thought...  

I would also recommend buying Jet Glue, and using it to strengthen the shanks of your DDs pointe shoes, if you haven't already. It has been my life saver after dealing with dying shanks after only a few lessons. My parents were getting tired of my constant request for new shoes! Hope your DD finds the right shoe, and that this was of some help to you! :-) 

• Like 1

Thank you so much; I knew there would be some great advice on this forum!

Spannerandpony - the Freeds are the hard shank, but I had also heard that Freeds aren't the longest-lasting shoes generally. I will ask her teachers what they think, although as Gaynor Mindens were suggested by one teaher in a bid for 'unkillable' shoes, I suspect that they too may advise the Grishkos!

Pas de Quatre - she did try the Grishko 2007s as these had been recommended by a friend who also kills shoes quickly, but doesn't have a high arch. They weren't recommended by the fitter - I think partly because the vamp isn't particularly high? (although I may have got that wrong - she tried quite a few pairs....). Bloch Suprimas weren't tried, but thank you for the suggestion!

Pasdebourree15 - thank you for the recommendation, we will ask about Freed Studio IIs. We will also start using Jet Glue!

What an amazing forum this is! Thank you all again ;-)

• Like 2

Hi,

My dd has a very high arch atrong feet and slightly narrow after going to London and trying on many

she liked the grishko 2007 and i have to say after her third pair she loves them, because of her high arch

she has a medium shank and they mould nicely to her feet. I have not had to blowdry  them she seems to break them in

quickly.

I have to say all the girls at the dance school that have bought freeds have had trouble with them and slowly all changed

there shoes.

Is there a shop you can go to to try on a few different makes.

• Like 1

Thanks ballemum; another Grishko recommendation! I think the Vaganovas were the fitter's preferred Grishko option for her because she has long toes as well as a high arch and the Vaganova vamp is very long. It's interesting that your DD's very arched strong feet don't automatically mean that she has to have a hard shank in her 2007s; has she always used medium shank?

Do you know what sort of trouble your DD's friends have had with Freeds? I realise that different feet will experience different problems, but it's a bit worrying that all of them have given up on Freeds.

The shop we usually go to and the shop we went to this time both stock various makes and models, so we are lucky to have a good choice; if necessary we will just have to try on absolutely every pair available! ;-)

Well dd adores her Freeds. They may need more maintenance than other makes (only in the form of occasional Jet Glue/Pointe Shoe Glue) and they possibly die a little quicker than other makes, BUT once you find a maker who suits you, Freed will send the shoe back and forth to the factory as many times as necessary until it's perfect for your foot - at no extra charge.

My dd says her Freeds are the most comfortable pointes she's ever had. It took a while to find the best Maker for her, but while he's still making shoes, I think she'll be a Freed girl! :-)

• Like 1

Hi,

not sure that my dd's feet are like your's, but she has high arches and strong feet. We went through many brands of shoe and ended up with Gaynor's. They have been good. I don't think she would have been able to continue with paste shoes at the rate she was going through them.

• Like 2

Oh no pastel, Gaynors have already been suggested but we would rather see whether any of the traditional shoes will work for her first..! What features do your DD's Gaynors have?

Thank you for the vote for Freeds, spannerandpony. Is it necessary to be within reach of the Freeds store in London for the full Freeds service, do you think? I am assuming that their makers are London based and of course their full title is Freeds of London.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I think so. Purely because it's easier for the Freed store to order specific maker shoes and send them for alteration than (I assume) it would be for a stockist. For instance they didn't have dd's Maker in stock with the Medium shank, but they had the hard shank. They simply sent the shoes across to the factory for a change of shank, lowered the vamp by 1/8th of an inch, and the shoes were back within a week and there was no charge for the alterations.

DD has the same issue of high arch and high instep and pointe shoes not lasting long at all in the shank.  We've been going to Freed ( since bad first pair of Bloch) and she has had their Classic Pro Hard and then sth like a Classic Pro 90.    Was recently fitted with the Freed Studio Pro which I think are expected to last a bit better so we'll see what she does to these.  I am also tempted to look elsewhere for long lasting shows but will try the glue option to bolster dying shoes as in principle we like the Freed shop/the range/the fitting etc.

• Like 2

My dd also loved her Freeds but was killing them after only a few classes, so in desperation went over to Bloch, hoping for B-Morphs as this is what her sister has and these seem to last a good while.  However, dd's feet are very strong with very high arches, narrow heels but very wide across the metatarsals (she refers to them as dinosaur feet!).  She was eventually fitted with Bloch Synergy which are extremely hard but a very good fit and these seem to be lasting. :)

• Like 1

Hi,

She has always had medium from her first pair and she breaks them in quite quickly, she has one hard pair as i had to

buy two pairs when she was lead in a ballet at her school which she never used so she is in them now so i don't have to buy

another pair and she is taking longer to break them in.

The problem with the freeds, my other dd had a pair and she found they hurt around the toe when on pointe she is now also in grishko,

but everyone is different my dd the one i was originally was talking about tried a pair of freed and didn't like them she said they felt uncomfortable.

Everyone is different what is good for one is not for another. Thankfully there is a lot of good makes out there to try. :)

• Like 1

Well, the shoes are actually Classic Pro 90s - so many similarly named Freed models! They have been approved by two of her teachers so we will see how she goes. The teacher who is also an international RAD vocational examiner has told us to use vamp elastic though...and the other still thinks that Gaynor Mindens may end up being the only way to go...but at least we have suggestions of other possibilities from you lovely people!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Reviving this old thread to see if anyone has experience of the Sansha replaceable shank system for the high arch foot type issues discussed above. I'm still despairing at rate my daughter is getting through shoes and the sansha ones look cheap and replacing the shank seems ideal.

On the more expensive end they also have KH Martin range- anyone tried these?

Hi my daughter wears Bloch Suprimas, she has done for the past two years and finds them really comfortable. She has a really arched, narrow, strong foot, and these really compliment her foot shape. Good luck on your hunt for the perfect shoe!!

• Like 1

Thanks Nancy21, they are on our list for next time, along with Bloch Sonatas with hard shanks.DD is currently in Grishko Vaganovas and loves them. The Freeds didn't last for her. In comparison she says the Vaganova shanks feel like 'cement', which is great for her feet. She didn't break them in at all prior to wearing them, on teachers' advice and is able to roll up and down through her feet in them with no problems even though they are designed for the Russian method of springing onto pointe. They also have a very high vamp which she needs with her arched feet and long toes.

I would be interested to hear more about Sansha replaceable shank and Capezio reverse shank shoes, as far as I know we haven't come across these.

• Like 1

Legseleven. Dd has just had double shank sonata and they were good, lasted quite well...bit longer than the synergy hard shank. Dd has wide feet though not narrow. Really tempted to try of the sansha replaceable system due to price as much as anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I hope it's ok to revive this thread yet again...

Chaperone, did your DD find that the Freed Studio Pros she had in February 2013 lasted reasonably well - are they available in a hard shank option and if so is this what your DD had? Or did she prefer the hard shank Bloch Sonatas?

The Grishko Vaganovas are still working well but aren't easy to get hold of, so we are continuing our quest for alternative shoes which may also work for DD.

• Like 1

Hi legseleven...the Freed were not suitable and have given up on Freed for now sadly, go soft all over fairly rapidly but something about the fit led to bruised big toe.  We have stuck with bloch sonata double shank for quite a number of pairs but recent batch died more quickly than others so have been back on the trail of longer lasting shoes ( have commented on similar thread recently, been a few desparate mums trying to find the pointe shoe holy grail...). On another similar thread someone was recommending getting a special order of extra strong shank Grishko...don't know if you have tried that for your dd...or explore Russian Pointe via Just ballet?  DD tried on every possible pair in Sansha the other day ( as I had been attracted by the replaceable shank idea) but none of them suitable. She had a pair of Capezio that were hopeless. We have taken the plunge and got hard shank GM's and hoping the teachers won't notice though have two pairs of the sonata in reserve. She has not road tested the GM's yet as been half term. 

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Thank you Chaperone! I'm sorry the Freed Studio Pros didn't last for your DD, although I suppose not surprised as so many people agree that Freeds aren't noted for longevity for arched feet ;-) I think DD will also try the Bloch Sonata hard shanks and am heartened to know that they have been lasting your DD pretty well in that she has bought several pairs. Extra hard shank Grishkos and Russian Pointes are definitely on our list of 'to try' shoes as well.

I hope your DD enjoys her GMs (and that her teachers are ok with them if they work for her)! Do let us know how she gets on with them - they are still mentioned as 'may be necessary' by my DD's teachers.....;)

• Like 1

DD has been wearing both Freed and the Bloch Sonata hard shanks and after using pointe shoe glue on the Freeds have found both work well for her and last quite well - high arch, narrow heel and wide across base of toes.  teachers and fitters kept suggesting she try Grishko so she did and they were the worst pair of pointe shoes she's ever had.

• Like 2

She tends to use the pointe shoe glue after she has worn the Freeds a few times - for her it is always the box at the big toe part that starts to go first.  Her first pairs of Freeds were Classic Pros, then something else I cannot remember but I don't know what she is in now as I was not with her in London last time she went.  That time she was given a card with a specific name, make and model and told to ring up a month or so before she visited London so they could make specific shoes for her.  She has not needed to use pointe shoe glue on the Bloch Sonata hard shanks

• Like 1

If you don't mind 2dancersmum, I would be grateful if you could confirm what type of Freeds they are when you have chance to ask your DD - would be good to have a Freed recommendation for arched feet. Although DD kills the shanks of her shoes rather than the boxes, so may have different issues.

I'm more and more inclined to order the Sonata hard shanks (very irritating that we can't ask our local dance shop to order them in, must be ordered direct from Bloch!) .....