Double promotion to principal at National Ballet of Canada!

Wasn't sure whether to put this in BRB's Don Quixote thread as it's after a performance of that production or in National Ballet of Canada's visit to Sadler's Wells thread  since that's still a long way away so I started a new one. 😉

National Ballet of Canada has a new principal ballerina!

After a performance of Don Quixote last week, artistic director Hope Muir came on stage to promote that evening's Kitri, Tirion Law, to principal dancer. The reason why this makes news headlines is that Tirion, a graduate of New Zealand School of Dance, was still a Second Soloist when she leapt out onstage in Act 1 of Carlos Acosta's new production for NBC, and has skipped the First Soloist rank completely. Tirion has been dancing with NBC for 6 years.

The rank of Second Soloist at NBC is between First Soloist and Artist/Corps de ballet; as the company has no Soloist or Coryphee/First Artist rank, Tirion has basically leapt from somewhere around First Artist to become Principal in a double promotion. Judging from the numerous messages of congratulations, Ms Law has quite a large following among NBC regulars who have specially booked to catch her performances in Don Q and other ballets.

She has previously danced Alice in Wheeldon's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and before that, danced Juliet, both to great acclaim, and won the Rolex Dancers First Award (a prize for outstanding performances throughout the season, voted for by NBC artistic staff) for her performances of Juliet and other performances that season - the Rolex Award is often awarded to principals and other dancers more senior than a second soloist (yes, a Rolex watch is included in the prize). 

Congratulations to Tirion! Hope she's coming along with the company on tour to London in autumn to perform their mixed bill at Sadler's Wells. I can't wait to see her - and other colleagues - dance. (Tickets are already on sale). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

...I thought "double promotion" meant two dancers had been promoted 🤣 and you meant more of a Mathieu Ganio/Germain Louvet/Guillaume Diop type promotion 🤭

I promise it wasn't a click bait ploy, Sophoife! 😄 I  can see what you mean....lol. I suppose I would have said "two promotions" if there were two dancers? Yes, indeed, Tirion Law has received a Guillaume Diop et al type of promotion where a rank was skipped. 👍 

• Thanks 1

Tirion also has a YouTube channel where she documents her daily life as a dancer with the NBC, which accounts for a lot of her followers outside of Canada!

Her videos are a really fun insight into how she prepares for a role, routines and health as a dancer, and she generally comes off as a really great person. You can find her Juliet debut here: 

(I hope it’s ok to link)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, offmenu said:

Tirion also has a YouTube channel where she documents her daily life as a dancer with the NBC, which accounts for a lot of her followers outside of Canada!

Her videos are a really fun insight into how she prepares for a role, routines and health as a dancer, and she generally comes off as a really great person. You can find her Juliet debut here: 

(I hope it’s ok to link)

I'm pleased to see that she eats a healthy breakfast! That's really sweet of her colleagues to decorate her dressing room area and leave gifts for her on the day of her debut!  Lovely camaraderie in the company- such a lot of warmth and love. 

• Like 1