summer school photos

straceydor

Hi all

Sorry to be a pain.

Elmhurst would like some photos for the 2013 Summer School. They have given some diagrams to show front, side, back with feet together and a pointed foot and leg one.  My question is do i get my dd very busy dance teacher to supervise with me taking the photo, the dance teacher and a very good amateur photographer or just me taking the photos? and my dd of course.

Its the first time we, my dd and I have done this so any help is greatly appreciated

Hi Straceydor, we did last years photos at home with hubby on camera duty! The most difficult bit was finding a plain wall big enough to fit DD tips of fingers, head, pointed toes in and be able to stand back far enough to get them all in the photo!!! They can't have been that bad though as she was accepted. We did take a couple of shots in each position so she could choose the "better one" . Good luck!

We've always used the dance studio (with or without teacher) - useful for space to stand back and take photos.  I ended up quite good at knowing what were good positions, but only once my children were older!  Was always useful to have a teacher on hand to help get into a good position or just look at the photos (digital cameras are a great aid!)

• Like 1

Dd's dance teacher always takes photos in the studio after class. When dd was younger she used to position her and I would take the photos. Now dd is old enough to position herself, the teacher takes the photos on my camera. It only takes 5 minutes after class.

The first year we applied our dance teacher got the girls in position and an older student who was doing photography at college sorted the lighting and took the pictures. This year I took them myself but they weren't quite up to the dance teachers standard! She didn't have time to do them so I took them on my camera phone at home and texted them to her on a Sunday and she texted me back with the corrections!! Took about 3 goes at each picture! It's definitely worth the teacher helping. I have done some ballet myself and know what I'm looking for but needed the teacher as my Dd wouldn't listen to the corrections from me!! (Funnily the corrections from her teacher were the same and she'd do them when they came from her! Lol!)

I have always taken DDs photos in the dance studio with a simple digital camera.DDs teacher assists with positioning and then DDs teacher chooses the technically best photos.This has been good enough to get her into WL summer schools & vocational school.

• Like 1

A tip that works for me, as I HATE trying to get the right photo due to fussy DS, is to put your camera on "short burst" mode, if you have it. Then the camera takes several pics very quickly and you have more chance of one of them being a good one!

• Like 2

Do you usually pay your dance teacher for helping you with the photos? I'm wondering wether I should offer to pay my teacher when she helps with my summer school photos...

Do you have any private lessons with your dance teacher? That was when we did our audition photographs, so we were paying for her time (but not directly for the photos if that makes sense!)

• Like 1

If our teacher is opening the studio especially, and/or taking and printing the photos herself, then she asks for a small payment. Nowadays we do them at the end of a class or private lesson, and I print the photos, so she won't take any payment.

hi Lil, yes but there were a couple (the arabesque & seconde en l'air) that didnt turn out very well- my front shoulder was a bit raised on the arabesque and my wrists looked a bit flexed in the seconde- do you think this would matter, or do the photos have to be totally perfect? x

Mind you when Royal and Northern ballet school are both charging £20 a go I have found myself being hypercritical of these photos in the past, they can always be better cant they? But how can you tell if they are a really good dancer just by looking at the photographs? I suppose coupled with the information given on the application form will also be a good indication of how good a student is.

• Like 2

I had exactly the same feeling about choosing from pictures... And then DD did RBS SS in WL last year and I was amazed at how similar the girls levels were... For the boys, it was far less homogenous!

I'd really like to be a fly on the wall for that selection...

• Like 1