6th Form Doctor's Letter

Dancer's Driver

We've been asked to provide a Doctor's Letter for DS to take to Rambert 6th Form Audition stating that he's fit to undergo dance training, what surgery he's had if any etc etc. He's had medical forms signed before for performing licences & Doc usually charges £20 (for a 2 second signature).

My question is - if DS is lucky enough to get to any more finals (already has Elmhurst) will all the schools want a medical or letter from the home Doctor ? Or are auditionees seen by the school medics ?  Or both ?

I just don't want to steam ahead and get DS an appointment for the Rambert Doc's letter if I will need letters for the other schools and will have to pay each time.  Thanks

we used just the one letter for four finals last year and it was fine they roughly all ask the same questions anyway the are noramaly seen by a physio my dd had the same physio at ENB and Central so when she turned up for the central physio she was told to go as she had just seen her the week before at ENB xx

Elmhurst has a comprehensive and specific form to be completed with blood pressure/weight/chest sounding and all sorts. We photocopied it and sent the photocopy to the other school and they were happy with that. ENB's form was similar to the Elmhurst one I seem to remember.

• Like 2

Making sure one has the physical ability to undergo the training is important. Having a full medical check up when not exhibiting signs of illness should not perhaps be a charge on the NHS so just  £20 and the cost of photocopying a Drs letter is a bargain.

Edited by restor

A bargain it may be but the Doctor has never actually done anything except have my DS sitting in front of him - no examination, blood pressure check, nothing - so £20 just for a two second signature is a pretty good hourly rate ! 

I'm more than happy to ensure that my son is fit and healthy before moving from state school with dancing/travelling on top to full time vocational training and I even accept having to pay for the medical - I just can't afford to pay twice or three times if all the schools ask for different tests.

When is the detailed Elmhurst medical requested ?  After finals if a place is offerred  ? 

Thanks Lildancer96.

Well - we've had an income estimate form with Finals letter also asking us to confirm DS attending.  Now had a medical questionnaire for parents to complete, general questionnaire for parents to complete and one for school Head to complete, to be returned before Finals.

Wonder when medical will be required.

Dancer's Driver - just one audition for Rambert. Quite a long one if auditionee gets as far as physio and (interview) chat at the end.

Sorry to jump in on a bit of a tangent here, but do you know approximately what time the Rambert audition finishes if you don't get asked to stay for anything extra, and what time it finishes if you do? :)  

Also my Doctor's letter was such a hassle - I explained the situation to my doctor and booked an appointment and then a few days before she rung up again and said actually I needed a full fitness medical, costing £100, otherwise she wouldn't be willing to sign it, and I would have to have it done at another surgery. Well I rung up the other surgery and the doctor there said it would be a waste of time and money doing a fitness medical and he would just charge £15 for a letter and I didn't even need an appointment, he would do it from my notes. Honestly, what a fuss!  :rolleyes:

Memory is a little shaky but DS was there about 3 hours and was there until the end. Auditionees I think left at earlier points in the afternoon. That year on that day (as there were a few audition days) ie 2 years ago girls were in the morning and boys in the afternoon. My DS tells me a solo is required this year so perhaps audition will take longer.