I've never really understood how flower throwing works. Do people in the audience have the bouquets on their laps throughout the performance and then pick stems off to throw after the performance, or do ushers give them out?

It's always puzzled me. I remember when Darcey retired and the stage was covered in flowers. I'd be too worried i'd miss and chuck it at another audience members head.

Edited by chrischris

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are usually thrown from the boxes at the side of the stage.  I think they are usually loose flowers.  I have seen, in various theatres over the years, people throw bouquets from the front stalls and it is very hit and miss!!!

Equally in BRB's Hobson's Choice Maggie throws her bridal bouquet into the audience.  The Saturday evening one last year hit me full in the face!!  It looked wonderful in our porch!

They are usually thrown from the boxes at the side of the stage.  I think they are usually loose flowers.  I have seen, in various theatres over the years, people throw bouquets from the front stalls and it is very hit and miss!!!

Equally in BRB's Hobson's Choice Maggie throws her bridal bouquet into the audience.  The Saturday evening one last year hit me full in the face!!  It looked wonderful in our porch!

That made me laugh out loud

Hi Chris.  Flower throws usually work like this:  the organiser speaks to the stage manager to request permission to do it.  Once granted, either a very kind and/or wealthy person pays for it or, more likely, a collection is started.  There is a cut-off date for the collection so that the organisers know how much they have to spend and have enough time to go to the florist and order.  The flowers are then packed up in boxes (individual stems, not bouquets) and either collected or delivered to the ROH.  The throws almost always happen from a box near the stage, from on high for the best effect.  As mentioned previously, last night's was one of the best ever!

Ahh that is nice - I went to a flower arranging demonstration by Stephen and David his partner in Port Sunlight years ago - it was very good not only flowers but ballet tales too - it was great and they did a mini competition and 4 audience members had to try to make up a hand tied bouquet - I was "volunteered" but I did end up with a bouquet of lovely red flowers!  He's a lovely man, what a nice gesture.

The flowers for Tamara's farewell were courtesy of ex Royal Ballet dancer Sephen Wickes,now proprietor of Bloomsbury Flowers.

Whilst the flowers came from Bloomsbury Flowers (founded and owned by former RB dancers Stephen Wicks and Mark Welford), I understand they were paid for by a number of Tamara's friends, family & fans.

• Like 1

Some thoughts from 23 Feb performance:

What a delight La Valse is when so crisply danced. At last I can understand why the ballet is revived.The dancers for once looked as though they were enjoying themsleves.

Equally joyful was Voices of Spring. This little gem rescued a very stodgy production of Die Fledermaus when new - and though it would be good to see it performed in the cod-Grecian costumes as orginally done the duet responds well to the youthful casting of Yuhui Choe and Alexander Campbell, compared to the more senior partnerships we sometimes see.

Thais pas de deux was never going to ignite with the glassy Sarah Lamb and distant Rupert Pennefather - the perfume here looked long evaporated.

Monotones I with Yasmine Naghdi, Romany Pajdak and Tristan Dyer was very convincing and beautifully poised. I was even reconciled to the dirtily coloured costumes. Monotones II lacked stretch and sinew. Both trios struggled with the muddy lighting.

Zenaida Yanowsky and Federico Bonelli gave good, honest accounts of Marguerite and Armand - but the ballet did not move me at all.

• Like 1

Better late than never, but after my computer, camera and transfer cable not being in the same place, and then me having problems uploading the pictures, here are a couple of Rojo's last curtain call.  They're not as brilliant as some, but then they were taken from halfway up the amphitheatre!

AoW8Uzt.jpg

JKeffGm.jpg?1

• Like 2

The in-front-of-curtain ones were more like what I'd expected - too blurred to be of much use.  But yes, I was quite impressed: 10x zoom, although that does make it difficult to focus on your subject very easily.

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in seeing the original M & A with Fonteyn and Nureyev it's on youtube in two parts - I think this was made especially for TV as it has a documentary aspect with Ashton, Fonteyn and Nureyev talking about the ballet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSIz2DWZMbY 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM9m6ViNFJw