travelling long distance to summer school

pastel

Hello,

any advice would be appreciated :)

My 15yo dd has applied for POB and RBS summer schools. Since we will be travelling from Australia, the ideal situation would be if she were offered places at both in the same year...... but, I have no idea what the chances of that are. Since we don't want to turn a place down if she is offered one only this year, we're looking at options for a second summer school if she is accepted into one or other.

So far, I've found the International Masterclass in Prague runs over the same dates as the RBS, so that looks like a good option if she is accepted into POB and not RBS. The only other one which seems to work date wise, is one week of ENB.

I've looked into the Academie Americaine de Danse de Paris but it overlaps with the POB and is 10 days away from RBS (quite a long time to pay for accommodation even though I'd love to stay in either London or Paris).

Does anyone have thoughts or advice on any of these summer programs, considering the cost of airfares and accommodation. We have school holidays here between 29th June and 14th July, but outside of those dates, we'll be paying for her full time tuition here :(.

Thank you for reading,

pastel

Hi Pastel,

I have my doubts about the level of the École Américaine de Danse de Paris. I belong to a French forum similar to this one but far far less good, anyway... There are lots of discussions about that school, quite negative when it comes to serious dancers...

Do you read French, I can give you the link?

A friend of DD1's, who was in not such a good vocational school, auditioned there and was admitted only to realise that the level was lower than her previous school!! I have spoken to them a few times, trying to get to come to open days and see the level for myself as DD3 was interested in that school. And I always got a no... It is a vey closed place!

Having said that, the SS brings quite a few international dancers and the level might be better but I read once on an American forum that, apart from being in Paris (and you know how wonderful it is to Americans!) the US SS were much better...

DD1 & DD2 auditioned in their studio last year for SAB SS and I was gobsmacked to see them allow their students in before the audition to warm up and closing the door in the faces of all the others until it was just before the audition time. The kids had to wait on the pavement for 1/2 hour (in the middle of December in France!) after the arrival time given by SAB... Not much ethics! And that day, none of their students was picked, only a girl from POB!  :rolleyes:

Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news... 

And once again, it's only my opinion...

• Like 1

Hi Pastel and welcome to this forum.

Not having the dates of POB and RBS summer school how about having a look at:

Elmhurst summer school - Birmingham

http://www.elmhurstdance.co.uk/summer-school-1.html

Yorkshire Ballet Summer School - York

http://www.ybss.co.uk/

Northern Ballet Company - Leeds

http://northernballet.com/index.php?q=academy/training-programmes/summer-school

Just a few to look at. There are several other summer schools to look at as well which I'm sure other forum members will tell you about but I have got to go to work now.

• Like 1

afab, thanks for your in depth reply. It is very helpful.

I have read a couple of negative things about the American school in Paris but also a defence from one of the guest teachers - quite confusing when you can't go and have a look. They also have extremely limited pictures on their website, so you can't even get an idea of the standard from there. It is a big commitment to travel to the other side of the world for these things! We would be better to spend the money on private lessons from our daughter's teachers, or we even have access to a couple of excellent ex-RB principals (at a price). 

When you refer to SAB do you mean School of American Ballet? I can't believe they would treat people like that! They are just kids! Maybe it isn't so bad that we can only send dvds, at least my dd can warm up and feel prepared.

My dd ballet teachers have both returned to Australia recently after careers in the USA, one is originally from Aus, the other from USA. They both speak highly of the summer programs over there which is why we are now looking internationally. Unfortunately, the US ones are too long for us to leave home (work and farm) and we aren't ready to send our dd off alone.

thanks for your help, I shall scrap the idea of the American school in Paris.

• Like 1

Yes Pastel, I mean School of American Ballet...

DD2 wants to try again next year but this time we will send a DVD as well and skip the audition there...

Sounds like it might be fairer that way!

There are so many incredible sounding summer programs in USA - it makes us feel like the grass is greener on the other side. Pity we are so far from everywhere!

However, I can't complain, we have a fantastic summer school in Sydney, run by an ex-RBS lady. She brings out amazing teachers from around the world. My dd has met Darcey Bussell at least 10 times and had her for class at least 6 times. So, I shall never complain, just a pity the summer school only lasts 2 weeks.

• Like 4

I'm sorry I sound like I'm terribly fussy but DD1 did the Cecchetti SS for young dancers last year at Tring and, because we come from overseas, we were allowed to see the end of week show. I was very interested by the SS for vocational students as DD1 wanted to do it in 2013 (she wasn't old enough to do it last year)...

Maybe it was last year's level but I was very disappointed by the level of the students. So much that DD1 is not going to do it this year. I doubt they were vocational students or else I'm used to another level from vocational students!

It was such a shame because the rest of the SS is absolutely wonderful! The atmosphere, the caring for the kids, the organisation, the feeling between kids, everything was just fantastic!

But unfortunately, I don't think it's worth crossing the whole world for...

That of course is only my opinion and depends on the level of your daughter Pastel. But if she's auditioning for POB and RBS and thinks she has a chance to get in, I would suspect her level is higher than the one I saw...

Thank you Aileen and afab,

both helpful posts. I did see Tring advertised and think that my dd would not be eligible since it was Cecchetti, she did Ceccetti up to Intermediate level, but changed to a different syllabus when she started at the vocational school. 

Thanks for the heads up on the standard.

We attended a summer school in Melbourne this year which was good but not good enough to warrant the cost of travel and rent. If it were in Sydney where I have free accommodation, we'd consider it again but you really have to check things out well when you're paying to sleep :)

thanks again, you ladies are a wonderful help,

pastel

• Like 1

DD1 has never done Cecchetti either, she doesn't follow a specific syllabus. Mainly French and Russian. Her teacher wrote a letter with specific steps she can do and her general level and it was enough for her to get in.

Edited by afab

http://www.welshballet.co.uk/news/riverfront-summer-dance-form-2013/

This is a link to the Ballet Cymru site.  The course is in Newport, Wales.  Easily accessible by car or train from London.  They have excellent summer schools at different levels.  DD and some of her Vocational school friends have done this in previous years.

The main problem you have with UK schools is that your daughter is due to go back to start at her school just before the British (English & Welsh) schools break up.  It might be worth looking at some of the Scottish schools - Ballet West & Royal Conservatoire of Scotland to see if their dates fit better, as Scottish summer holidays are earlier than the rest of UK.

Edited to add second paragraph

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 2

Thanks Pas de Quatre,

the Cymru one looks interesting, they also don't seem to be asking for any money to apply, only if you are accepted. I didn't realise that Scotland had earlier holidays, that is helpful too.

We know that she will have probably have to miss 2 weeks of school, it is just part of being in the southern hemisphere.

thanks,

pastel

Given the cost of airfares, summer school and accommodation I don't know if any of the summer schools over here are worth it as such, given what you will end up paying per class/days of training.  However RBS summer school is a wonderful experience, in terms of the unique location, the international atmosphere and slightly exclusive air.  The standard seems quite high, but the classes are fairly big and some students do get very little individual attention.  From what I understand from my DD, the Australian students tend to be of a higher standard, stronger and more technically advanced.   And  of-course, it is the opportunity to be seen by them (a 2 week audition) and if they like you enough.....................

I have to say that I agree with tutoo2much. My dd has done most of the summer schools and probably the only one worth coming all the way from Australia for is RBS. The technical standard is very high and it is truly international. I didn't find the classes any bigger than any other summer school and my DD got plenty of individual attention but I couldn't comment about other children. There is actually a formal chance to audition for their Upper School at the end of the 2 weeks. Otherwise I would stay in Australia. They seem to produce fantastic dancers over there and there are relatively a lot of Australians at RBS and RB.

I'm sorry I sound like I'm terribly fussy but DD1 did the Cecchetti SS for young dancers last year at Tring and, because we come from overseas, we were allowed to see the end of week show. I was very interested by the SS for vocational students as DD1 wanted to do it in 2013 (she wasn't old enough to do it last year)...

Maybe it was last year's level but I was very disappointed by the level of the students. So much that DD1 is not going to do it this year. I doubt they were vocational students or else I'm used to another level from vocational students!

It was such a shame because the rest of the SS is absolutely wonderful! The atmosphere, the caring for the kids, the organisation, the feeling between kids, everything was just fantastic!

But unfortunately, I don't think it's worth crossing the whole world for...

That of course is only my opinion and depends on the level of your daughter Pastel. But if she's auditioning for POB and RBS and thinks she has a chance to get in, I would suspect her level is higher than the one I saw...

a girl from my dd's (academic) school was there and she is definitely not vocational and also a lower grade than my dd.

• Like 1

My dd is looking into doing Bristol Russian Ballet School Summer school this year. They said they're planning on two weeks this year, rather than 1 and the cost is really good - but unfortunately non-residential for those further away. An added bonus is that they can also use the facilities of the health club too with no further cost.

Dd is 15 and in Adv 1 RAD and other students are from vocational schools so the standard is high. I don't think the dates are out yet but you could check their website or contact them - they are really approachable and have been so helpful for dd.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Tutoo2much and Ribbons - yes, we do have some great training here, but it is the higher level students who will be making the trek across the globe to participate in your summer schools :) - not really a fair cross section of our kids. We also have some dreadful training here.

We are led to believe that you find a good vocational school which trains you to a level where you can then audition for a company school overseas to do your final year or two.

thanks!

pastel 

Let's hope the POB one is also good and that your daughter (and mine) get in because taking part in the first ever SS there should also be a cause for celebration... and worth crossing the globe for...

Hi afab,

not sure if you posted this or if my daughter hacked into your account!! :) Ha ha!

I was just pricing airfares and accommodation and wondering if it was worth all the money - how many private lessons could we pay for with that $!

My daughter however, has not stopped talking about 'when we are in Paris' since we found out about the POB offering their first summer intensive. It has been a dream of hers since she was younger than school age to dance at the POB or RB.

So - yes, it is worth crossing the globe to celebrate the fact that they have finally opened their doors to outsiders. (If she gets in.) All the best for your dd too - hope we meet you there.

pastel

• Like 1

Ballet West is a good summer school. Jonathon and Sarah are amazing teachers. They teach RAD Avanced 1, 2 and Solo seal. Students in and have won Genee comps. Both girls on RAD Genee posters are from Ballet West. Summer school starts beginning June. My ds is JA at RBS, has done WL summer school which he loved and spplied again. Wants to go to Ballet West summer school. £500 a week with accomodation and food.

• Like 1

Talking about long distance...

DD2 has been accepted at the American Ballet Theatre Summer School! The news is absolutely fantastic as we didn't expect it at all!

But, because there is always a but of course, we have to give an answer and pay a deposit by the 3rd of March and she's still waiting for POB results and RBS results won't be out until April!!!

And of course, there is the slightly massive problem of funding as she didn't get a scholarship... :wacko:

But for tonight we'll just rejoice at the fact she got accepted at the tender age of 13 and deal with the decisions later!

Yippee!!!

Edited by afab
  • Like 11

Our only experience of a summer school that could seriously be said to cater for vocational schools was Prague Masterclasses. But did not know about POB.

We were tempted by the Alvin Ailey summer intensive but too long a time committment.

On another tack Hong Kong Ballet used to do a summer school.I have no idea of the real standard though.

Good luck finding something suitable.

• Like 1

"DD2 has been accepted at the American Ballet Theatre Summer School! The news is absolutely fantastic as we didn't expect it at all!"

Wonderful news, afab! Hopefully you'll hear back from POB before your payment is due.

• Like 2