London Junior and Senior Ballet - any information?

Phillips13

Our ballet teacher has mentioned this weekly ballet course on a Sunday instead of the monthly associates programme my daughter currently attends

There isn't a lot of information in the website, and I am waiting for a response to my enquiry.  Does anyone have experience of lessons here and would you recommend it for a 12 year old girl?

Some years ago I had a pupil start in Junior and move up to Senior. I went a couple of times for teacher observation and was very happy with what I saw.  Weekly classes can be a good way of adding extra training. Every other week is fine, but if a scheme is only once a month the benefits are not so good, no matter how prestigious the name.

• Like 1

I have nothing but good words about this associates scheme and would wholeheartedly recommend it. I think it’s a bit of a hidden gem and I love the fact that it is. It has actually been running for years and years and I feel like they genuinely care for their students. They don’t seem to be about the numbers so class sizes are good, everyone gets detailed attention in every class. In this way, it seems more like a nurturing scheme than just a buisness. Lovely studios and excellent, nurturing teachers. Certainly for the older years (Senior, Graduate) they have a separate timetabled class for pointework. This might seem like a small detail but you would be surprised at how rare it is to find a scheme with separate pointe class. My DD did this alongside a more well-known associates and the difference in the level of classes was very obvious. In the more well-known one, there are no separate classes, and pointe work was sporadic. At one point my DD said they only did pointework roughly every other week for the last 20 or so minutes of the class. At LJSB my DD did one-hour pointe class every week. During watching day, I was astounded in a good way at how much my DD progressed. Whilst their website needs a bit of updating (very old photos!) and their social media isn’t regularly updated (actually a big plus for me! I’m wary of those that post too much), the timetable and term dates are current. You can see how it’s a nice full day, well worth the travel even if you’re not local to London. They send regular assessment reports, detailed ones.  This was a stark difference to another scheme my DD attended where you don’t really get detailed feedback. After assessment, all you get is a template email indicating if you still have a place in the next year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know people who go, and who think it’s excellent. As a Never said, not much focus on publicity but instead a focus on really high quality training. My dd would have applied if we could have made the timings work, but unfortunately we couldn’t. They get some impressive guest teachers for their intensives, too.