International Ballet Masterclasses in Prague

Tulip

Can anyone tell me if they have any experience of these masterclasses. If you have what was your oppinion of them, roughly how many where in each class, where they better than the ones in England and lastly where they spoken in Enlish? Someone in passing has just mentioned these masterclasses but has no experience of them, so who better to ask then you lovely forum members. I hope some of your older children have been so that you can give us all some feedback.

Martin did them 2 years running. They are in English, run by Daria Klimentova and her husband. Can do one or two weeks and the faculty may be slightly different week to week. Accomodation is fine and everyone seems to have a great time. Obviously a while since Martin went but Maina Gielgud taught as did Christopher Hampson.

Elmhurst used to have a scholarship to it i'm sure. Well they did definitely.

They are from 16 up and to give you an idea on one occassion one person had to leave as had been offered a company contract. So the standard is good and serious but as i said fun.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending them with the proviso that Martin has now been professional for 4 years so it is 5 years since he went.

• Like 2

Sadly my son didn't get to go as he was injured at the end of 6.2 but we know lots of people who have been and loved it. He was a bit hesitant about going anyway as he's not the most sociable person (he'd be the first to agree!) when it comes to going out in bars etc but it was still a shame he missed it for the classes

Unless they've changed it, minimum level for Prague is one year full time vocational training at Senior school i.e. for your dd it is the first year she would be able to apply.   So the standard is very high and there are also young professionals in their 20s who take part.  I think it would be more challenging than any of the UK summer schools.  The disadvantage of course is comparative cost, but it would give you a better view of the situation in Europe and she would hear first hand from other students & teachers what is going on, make international friends etc. which can be useful for when she wants to start auditioning in 3rd year.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news, our daughter has been offered a place, so pleased. Thankyou for sharing your experiences of this summer school and being totaly honest, it is so important. Again I feel so lucky to be a member of this forum and getting to communicate with all you lovely people. Grrrr I have just paid the £20 fee for the Royal Ballet Summer School, the deposit for Prague has to be in for March. Answers for the Royal summer school come out in April.

• Like 5

Congratulations!  Annoying how dates work out isn't it?  The first year my dd was an MA we waited to hear from RBS summer school, she didn't get a place but by then everywhere else was full.  As so few Brits are offered places, (approx 10%) we never bothered again and always went elsewhere - Wells Weeks, YBS, Ballet Cymru, Central etc.  My opinion would be go for Prague!

Janet you have sold it to us, Prague she will go and I think me and her dad may go for a few days he he. It will be great to hear about all the summer schools this year, especially if some of your children get into POB, any American summer schools. Prague ect.

• Like 2

Hi Tulip

Is your daughter going for week 1 or week 2 in Prague?

I have a DS also at Central and he can't decide between Yorkshire Ballet Summer School, where he's been several times, and Prague. Also one week or two at either place. Wish he'd make his mind up and then we can get the forms off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Tulip,

just wondering how old your dd is? We just applied and my dd was accepted. She is only just old enough to meet the requirements so I was not too sure she would be accepted. She missed out on RBS and POB so is now very excited to be going somewhere with such amazing teachers.

Have you looked at accommodation yet? There seem to be some reasonably priced apartments.

Hope to meet you there

I had a male student attend when he was at Elmhurst and he loved it.  The photos of him on the web site were fantastic and I could see just what a high standard there was. He did the RBS SS 3 times and actually felt that this was even better, because it had such a professional atmosphere, less school like.  I haven't had a good enough student since then - there are so few with the right physique and strong enough technique, who can actually afford it :(  However, this year, I have a student going for one week (she has a school trip which clashes with the first week, so she's just going for the second week) and I am delighted for her - I just know she's going to lap it up!  By the way - it's not that expensive compared to other SI's in the UK, because their accommodation seems to be cheaper.   Good luck to your daughter Tulip!

• Like 1