Going to dance college at 17?

dancergirl101

I'm interested to know as well actually but for someone who's 16. DD will have finished her A-levels equivalent in France at 16 and wants to go back to the UK then to do a college degree or a 16+ school but without academic studies. Is it possible?

I know the schools will often audtion 17 year olds and do know of someone who went to ENB after her As levels. Also some overeseas students don't have to do all the academics. Elmhurst certainly were happy for that a few years back. Some girls/boy did have English lessons though I know that won't be needed in your case afab.

Not quite sure how Central works because they do a degree not diploma. ENB didn't offer A levels not sure if they do now. There is actually quite a bit of studying for the diploma which many of the foreign students found was quite enough to cope with alongside dancing.

To my knowledge though all the schools do finish with an academic qualification.

• Like 1

Afab - yes I think at the majority of schools A levels are not compulsorary so it would not matter for your DD not taking them.  I do not know about Tring or Elmhurst but certainly although A levels are offered at Central and Hammond not all students take them.  Half way through your A levels, does that mean you want to continue beyond AS.  If that is the case I would imagine it is more a case of contacting the schools directly to check that they offer the subjects you want and the syllabus you have been studying.  I think only the schools themselves could answer that question. 

Nana Lily, what I meant was that the future change in leaving school age in the UK worries me because my DD will have finished her A-levels equivalent at 16 and might not be allowed in some courses because she won't be at the age when you're allowed to leave school...

afab - I imagine your DD will be ok as although it is generally referred to as 'school leaving age' you don't strictly speaking still have to be at school.  In England it is now 17, not 16 that you can leave 'school' and will be 18 by 2015, however I don't believe it has been changed for Scotland.  Quote below from the government website shows what they mean by leaving 'school'

"From the summer of 2013 you must be in one of the following until the end of the academic year when you turn 17:

• full-time education
  • an apprenticeship
  • full-time employment (over 20 hours a week) with part-time education

Surely dance courses, whether classed as further or advanced are still full time education

• Like 2

• 1 month later...