Preparing for 6th Form Auditions (Audition 2013, Entry 2014)

Pasdebourree15

Hello! I am currently in Year 10, and I recently auditioned for Year 11 at both Elmhurst and WL RBS. I received a 'no' letter from Elmhurst, and am awaiting a letter WL, though I am not expecting a 'yes', as they told us at the start of the auditions that there were not many, if any at all, spots available for Years 10 and 11. I also auditoned for the RBS SA, and am currently doing the aspiring professionals program with Ballet West in Scotland. 

I started ballet a bit late at 11 years old, but my goal is to attend a vocational ballet school for 6th form.  (As I didn't get in to a school for this year) 

I want to post pictures of my feet/legs/etc. for people to comment on, but I am unsure of how to do that, if it's even possible! So if someone could help me with that...

And any advice what so-ever for the auditions would be greatly appreciated... I've got highly arched feet, but they're weak, so any strengthening exercises would be great. Also any stretches to improve turnout!  

I'm willing to work really hard for this... should I be trying to do multiple summer schools? Trying to improve more basic ballet technique & facilities vs. more advanced technique?  And any further recommendations as to what full-time schools I should be looking into auditioning for besides the 2 i named above?? (I'm American and I've only just moved to England, so advice on schooling in the area would be extremely helpful!) 

Thanks so Much. 

• Like 1

Hello pasdebourree15 and a belated welcome to the forum! :-)

Gosh, lots of questions. For strengthening exercises, I would recommend that you ask your teacher to prescribe some theraband exercises to strengthen your feet.

In terms of 6th form schools, in addition to Royal and Elmhurst I would suggest looking at the websites of:

English National Ballet School

The Hammond School

Northern Ballet School

Central School of Ballet

Tring Park School for the Performing Arts

Kate Simmons Dance

Ballet West

Rambert School (although they also like applicants of 18)

I'm sure there are others too but my coffee hasn't kicked in yet!

Do you also study contemporary (i.e. what we call Contemporary; Graham/Cunningham et al)? And how long have you been en pointe?

Again, I would ask your teacher for Summer School recommendations and what you should be concentrating on. There are many Summer Courses which are for different age ranges, standards, and concentrate on different things, so your teacher should be able to advise you on areas for focus over the holidays.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Do you live near London? Central do an associate scheme on a Saturday.

There are lots of great summer schools about. Yorkshire Semminars , Royal Ballet, Ballet West I think. I think you may be too young for Prague Masterclasses run by Daria Klimentova (ENB) . A very nice summer school is Sussex Summer School in Forest Row (East Sussex). they do ballet, jazz contemporary.

Do you buy Dancing Times and or Dance Europe as they do now detail some summer schools.

Good luck

Lots of great comments here - you've got some researching to do now! Would just like to say I don't think you should post any photos on here - it's really not very appropriate for people to comment on your physique without knowing your personally - much better to seek advice from your teachers or physio.

Good luck

• Like 6

Wow... thank you so much to everyone... I wasn't really expecting any replies! Thank you do much to spannerandpony for the welcome! And the recommendations are great... I have a ton of researching to do now! Haha... I started pointe late... about 2 years ago. And although I enjoy contemporary, I don't think I'll pursue it as a career. Thank you so much for the advice!  :)

Also thanks to taxi4ballet... I was a bit concerned about the age I started ballet, but it's really great to know that people like me still get accepted into ballet schools! 

Thanks to tutoo2much for the YDA link... it also seems like a really great school. 

Thanks for the summer school suggestions Julie 2 Milner! I do not live close to london... I live in the Lake District. Unfortunately there si not much in the way of ballet out here.  :mellow:

And thank you kaledonia! I will look into botht of the summer schools in Scotland. 

Finally thanks to JulieW for the advice and good luck wishes!  :)

Just to put it out there, if all else fails, I have a spot at Ballet West for 6th form. Does anyone have an opinion/personal experiences about that school?

Thank you!!! 

• Like 1

Wow... thank you so much to everyone... I wasn't really expecting any replies! Thank you do much to spannerandpony for the welcome! And the recommendations are great... I have a ton of researching to do now! Haha... I started pointe late... about 2 years ago. And although I enjoy contemporary, I don't think I'll pursue it as a career. Thank you so much for the advice!  :)

Also thanks to taxi4ballet... I was a bit concerned about the age I started ballet, but it's really great to know that people like me still get accepted into ballet schools! 

Thanks to tutoo2much for the YDA link... it also seems like a really great school. 

Thanks for the summer school suggestions Julie 2 Milner! I do not live close to london... I live in the Lake District. Unfortunately there si not much in the way of ballet out here.  :mellow:

And thank you kaledonia! I will look into botht of the summer schools in Scotland. 

Finally thanks to JulieW for the advice and good luck wishes!  :)

Just to put it out there, if all else fails, I have a spot at Ballet West for 6th form. Does anyone have an opinion/personal experiences about that school?

Thank you!!! 

Well from what I know its a very good place to train indeed. One of the lovely girls currently dancing professionally in a company my ds trained there and loved it. And she is extremely good, (wouldn't be in a job otherwise.)  As far as I'm aware students get lots of performing opportunities with Baller West. You've done very well to get a place there!

• Like 1

No Spanner, not Prix de Lausanne, they have had candidates at the Adeline Genée which is the RAD's competition.  Does anyone know what the funding arrangements are currently as Ballet West is now an HND course and no longer a degree course.  There doesn't seem to be any mention of fees or funding on their website at present.

• Like 1

Funding for maintenance loans and grants is the same as other university courses, but as it's private only £6000 of the £9000 fees can be covered by student tutition loans at present. A degree course (final year) is currently being put in place, so will be up and running for students starting this year (could be before - I don't know!).  Accommodation costs are on par with unite/liberty living, but need to be paid for throughout the year - so quite expensive - about  £5400pa.

Hope that helps

Millie

Edited by Millie3

Just wondering, how come you have a definite Ballet West 6th firm place already if youre only in year 10? x

I've been offered a place from the Aspiring Professionals program...it's once a month, and we recently did a production of The Nutcracker with the company/school.  Obviously nothing's set in stone yet, but a spot for 2014 entry has been offered to me. I still have to wait a year, but they said they want me when I'm 16 (and entering 6th form). It's great to hear, but I don't want to commit myself to anything before all my 6th form auditions are over! :) Do you have any plans for 6th form/have any recomendations? xx 

Well from what I know its a very good place to train indeed. One of the lovely girls currently dancing professionally in a company my ds trained there and loved it. And she is extremely good, (wouldn't be in a job otherwise.)  As far as I'm aware students get lots of performing opportunities with Baller West. You've done very well to get a place there!

Thank you hfbrew! We (as in the Aspiring Professionals class) recently did The Nutcracker with the school/company, and it was really great. There are some very talented girls at the school! (One of them won the Adeline Genée recently I think)  I've been offered a spot through the AP program for entry 2014, (since I'm still in year 10) but I won't say yes to anything I think until all my 6th form auditions are over. But at least I know I've always got this place to fall back on!  :) 

Funding for maintenance loans and grants is the same as other university courses, but as it's private only £6000 of the £9000 fees can be covered by student tutition loans at present. A degree course (final year) is currently being put in place, so will be up and running for students starting this year (could be before - I don't know!).  Accommodation costs are on par with unite/liberty living, but need to be paid for throughout the year - so quite expensive - about  £5400pa.

Hope that helps

Millie

Millie... the school does not include education beyond dancing, nutrition, etc. (no GCSEs or real subjects) is that right? To me that's the main drawback of the school... I would be worried about having a career to fall back on in case of injury... any thoughts? 

My dd is full time at Ballet West.  It was such a good performance that we bought tickets for the Sunday as well, but could only stay until Spanish as we had a flight to catch.  Silly me had thought the Sunday performance was in the evening :(  Wanted to see it all again!

Aww thats amazing! All the full-time girls seemed to really enjoy the performance. Do you know who she is mainly taught by? Jonathan Barton runs the AP program and he's great... does your dd get taught by him at all? Also what are your thoughts on not having academics available at the school? 

Yes she's taught by Jonathan, Sara and I believe Kelly. I'm not sure of every teacher but she thinks they are all wonderful and loves her lessons.  DD already taken A levels at 6th form.  We desperately wanted her to take A levels but in the end she had to drop one of them - Biology a tough subject without 26 hours of dance/week.  There are many threads on here voicing the pros and cons of A levels.  If you attend Ballet West you will have a HND after 2 years and if you stay for 3 years then you will have a Degree.  As pointed out in these various threads, you can take A levels at any point in your life.  I suggest you search this forum to get a more balanced opinion, as I am only voicing my thoughts on education :)

Wow thank you! Does that mean your DD took all her A levels before she went to Ballet West? I will find the forums about A levels... I'm fairly new to this all. Im American and we've only just moved over to the UK so I'm still learning about the schooling system! But thanks so much for your opinion... it's helped a lot! And sorry if I'm repeating myself, but am I right in saying that there is no form of academic schooling, (eg biology, maths, english etc.) currently available at Ballet West, besides the HND/Degree in Dance Qualification? Thanks again for all your advice :) 

No Spanner, not Prix de Lausanne, they have had candidates at the Adeline Genée which is the RAD's competition.  Does anyone know what the funding arrangements are currently as Ballet West is now an HND course and no longer a degree course.  There doesn't seem to be any mention of fees or funding on their website at present.

Ah, sorry, got my competitions mixed up! :-)