Adult Ballet Classes how to find a decent one ?

Guest Pinny105

Guest Pinny105

Ive recently stopped going to a local ballet class run by a teacher who used the same music ,the same boring steps ,i thought i was the only one who was thinking this ,then much to my relief found out i wasn't . How do you find a class in your area and importantly find out if the teacher has the real qualifications to teach ? any one can make stuff up , I know this teacher did !!! waste of money. They even missed a lesson and she didn't refund me.  :(

Edited by Pinny105

To find a qualified teacher you can go on the RAD or IDTA website for listings (not sure if other organisations do the same). Then I guess look on their website or call to find out if they have adult classes. After that its really trial and error to see if its going to be a class that suits you which you enjoy.

• Like 1

Guest Pinny105

You know I didn't think about that ,totally simple , that way you are assured they are not just setting up with out the correct quailfications ,thank you 

Also worth considering, if available, is whether the teacher has a live pianist.  We have one, and she makes such a difference to the class!

WOW, we get the grand piano in the studio, but not the pianist at the ROH class I go to, best send her over. I think that must be very unusual.

Pinny105: OK about doing the same old boring steps, I guess you have got them off to perfection. I tend to have the opersite problem as I go to multiple classes and also timeshare on wednsday and thursdays to cover 5 different venues. That really does tease the brain both with combinational movements and terminology, needless to say I have teachers from all three camps ISTD, RAD and Cecchetti.

I think there is another issue with adult classes, that often dancers go there for recreational purposes rather than to push their technique with the expectation of performing. I usually google "Adult Ballet" and the location (main town), then I go and see them, if they have a website, I will check that out too. If im unhappy with the performance of a teacher I soon move on.

I haven’t come across a class yet that wont let you come just for a first taster session. Many charge by the term, but then they offer a discount e.g. one or two weeks free, but usually there is a drop in rate tt. The drop in rate is something I have to use when time sharing, but I still have a couple that I pay by term.

There are a lot of classes that struggle for numbers, so a new dancer is very welcome to them, personally I like the smaller classes and classes that I have influence on what is being taught.

Also I have not had a teacher complain about the variety of classes I go too, they all know my training schedule and plan.

Most adult classes I belong to don’t have a syllabus, however one of them generally follows ISTD grade 5 syllabus.

Guest Pinny105

I got caught in the trap of ,paying for 10 lessons up front ,then being ill so unable to attend a class then the teacher cancelled a class ,we were expected to forgo our money..... I bet if the shoe was on the other foot and lets say as an example off the top of my head .... that person had booked lessons with another professional they would probably demand there money back i am sure.

I assume from what you have said this was a very small class, I have two very small ones, which recently there has only been two of us.

When you pay upfront, if you are absent then yes you do loose those weeks. However if the class is unavailable due to teacher cancellation, then usually you will be credited with those weeks, that’s right and proper.

If the teacher cancelled the class, then it’s no longer available to you and your should either be credited with those weeks or a refund due.

If however the class was still available at the beginning of the session but no dancers present, and she cancelled it and went home, then she is fully entitled to the course fees for that session.

I hope you soon find a new one and you are fully recovered now.

Guest Pinny105

thank you  :D yes is was  a very small class ,probably should of seen the signs then ,but i felt sorry for her ,then wised up x byeeee