Ratmansky's new Romeo: National Ballet of Canada

This is coming to Sadler's Wells in April, as I am sure most of you know.

A TV documentary was made about it when it was first produced. The producers decided to give the documentary a kind of cheesy (in my opinion) reality show slant as to who would be first cast, but anyway, it will make you familiar with the NBOC's dancers and some of the choreography. You can view the whole thing online, along with outtakes, on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation website. I hope the link works outside of Canada (BBC links don't usually work for us).

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/More+Shows/Romeos+and+Juliets/ID/2243208758/

A video about the costume designs on the NBOC's Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANM4TPntg0U&feature=share&list=PLB06EBD1511636990

• Like 1

I've already got my ticket for this. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I'm glad that it's at Sadler's Wells as I'm closer to the dancers there than I am at the ROH or the Coliseum. I contacted the company a couple of weeks ago asking about casting but they have not responded. Katherine, do you know when casting is usually announced?

I've already got my ticket for this. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I'm glad that it's at Sadler's Wells as I'm closer to the dancers there than I am at the ROH or the Coliseum. I contacted the company a couple of weeks ago asking about casting but they have not responded. Katherine, do you know when casting is usually announced?

NBOC doesn't usually announce casting till 2 weeks before the performance. I suspect that opening night will be Guillaume Cote, Elena Lobsanova, Piotr Stanczyk as Mercutio, Jiri Jelinek as Tybalt, as that has been the first cast here in Toronto and just last weekend on tour in Ottawa. They are doing another run of it in March here and I will post a link to casting for that as soon as it is up, which may give some clue to casting for London.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Casting for the Toronto run is now up, which may give some clue to the London casting. I have posted it here:

http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2013/02/national-ballet-of-canada-romeo-juliet.html

I would be very surprised if the opening night casting for London were different from opening night for Toronto (barring injury, of course).

Katherine, is Patrick Lavoie any relation of Serge Lavoie, formerly of ENB?  I see from the latter's obituary (can't remember whether I'd registered that he'd died) that he was also with NBoC http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/serge-lavoie-6155841.html

Hi Alison,

No, Patrick and Serge are not related. Lavoie is a very common French-Canadian surname. Patrick has a beautiful line and I really like him as a dancer (he's also very good-looking, not that I was noticing...) but he has remained stuck as a first soloist for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a profile of Guillaume Cote (first cast Romeo) you might like:

" a lifetime of almost uninterrupted honing has turned Côté’s body into
something like an abstract representation of the human body, like a
computer-generated rag doll that can be put in any shape. He moves so
freely, it seems like his skeleton and his muscles aren’t even
connected. His legs look they were sanded down to their barest shape and
then pumped up in perfect proportions. His body is at once the trunk of
a tree and its leaves, firmly rooted but ready to flutter off at any
moment."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

looks like casting for the first two performances in London will be the same as for first two nights in Toronto: http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2013/02/national-ballet-of-canada-romeo-juliet.html

This is unofficial. I just saw it on the callboard today.

Any hints about the weekend casting?  I made tentative plans based on what was originally posted on the NBoC website, which has now been pulled, leading me to think changes are in the works.  I need to decide when to fly home.so it would be lovely to know the leads, if not the full roster, Fri-Sun.

Does anyone have any more casting info for NBOC in London? The reason I ask is that I would dearly love to see the wonderful Czech dancer Jiri Jelinek dance Tybalt. The reason I would love to see him again is this: I lived and worked in Prague back in 2001 when he was a young dancer with Czech National Ballet. I used to go 2 to 3 times a week to ballet in Prague as the tickets were so cheap. As I sat there watching Jiri Jelinek  perform, in the front row seats I used to only pay about £5 for, I knew he would go far. In 2002 he moved to Stuttgart Ballet but started back in the corps. He rose rapidly through the ranks to be a principal dancer. And now he is a wonderful principal with NBOC. 

It's a powerful thing when you follow a young dancer in their early stages. You invest so much emotionally. And I want so much to see him dance again. But I can't fly to Canada for that......... 

In any case, Jiri has announced on his facebook page that he will be leaving NBOC at the end of June, so maybe he'll move closer.

Thanks for that news about Jiri Jelinek Katherine. He doesn't seem to have a definite plan as to where or what next. :unsure: Also on Jiri's Facebook page is a reply to Daria Klimentova, who asks him which shows he will dance in:

'......my shows in London will be on April 17,18,19 and 20''.

Very interesting! Not at all what I saw posted backstage. And Guillaume and Heather is a new partnership for R&J; so far first cast has always been Guillaume and Elena. Guillaume and Heather dance a lot together (and they are married) but so far have not done Ratmansky's R&J together (though they did Cranko's together and apparently this was the beginning of their personal relationship).

• Like 1

I'm a happy bunny too as I just booked a ticket for Sunday afternoon and if the scheduled cast goes ahead, I will get to see Jiri Jelinek dance Tybalt! Not to mention Guillaume Cote and Heather Ogden in the lead roles as well. 

So I'm really excited about seeing NBOC and Ratmansky's production of R&J at Sadlers. I'd been in two minds about booking, due to already having 2 RB performances of full-length ballets booked for the weekend starting 19 April - but thanks Katherine for all the links/reviews etc on NBOC and this production and helping me make what I know is the right decision!! It's just too good an opportunity to miss this fantastic company coming to London for the first time in 26 years. 

So NBOC will round off an epic weekend of ballet for me in London - Mayerling, Bayadere and R&J. Not sure how I will be able to return to planet earth the Monday afterwards!!

• Like 2