National Youth Ballet 2013

tutoo2much

Hi Clara, I am sure you would have heard if she wasn't ok! By the sounds of it there's no time to be homesick. My DD has a phone (she's 14) and she's texted a few times and rung a couple of times.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, but if you like I can get my DD to find her and offer her phone? It may not be a good idea if she's keeping a lid on homesickness which may come out with a surprise phone call? Anyway, just let me know if you want me to get her to do that or even just to go and have a chat and make sure she's ok.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Clara

I'm sure she's is having a great time they are so busy with lots going on :) my dd said the circus disco was brilliant last night, not long now until we see them can't wait until Guildord to see the performances. :)

is anyone chaperoning I am a couple of times as we are staying up there to far to travel everyday and will keep me busy :)

I'm not chaperoning as I don't have crb either and may have my young son in tow for the three days in Guildford. My dd has her phone and my iPad so I've had quite a lot of messages/calls, she seems to be having a great time and has enjoyed doing some dance styles she's not done before. Spanish and Irish in particular.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday pick up though, it's been a long 10 days without her!

Regatta you DD must have borrowed something to wear or added a skirt to a leotard as there wasn't anyone that looked like they weren't in costume if some kind. Most wore little dresses or shorts and crop top type of thing. It wasn't really an occasion that demanded a full on costume, casual was fine.

I went - my daughter danced a trio - a long hot evening and a nine year old son with me who wasn't that impressed! 

I on the other hand thought the talent was amazing.  Regatta I think I know who your lovely dd was if she really painted tears on her face! 

DD was pleased to see me as she has only ever been away from home for the odd sleepover and I am guessing she may be feeling a bit homesick.  She hasn't actually said as much and although she has a phone I have had very little communication from her. It has been very busy and think she is probably quite tired too.   I think she has picked up as the week has gone on!  It's been very weird at home without her and I am looking forward to picking her up on Tuesday to bring her home if only for a day before we are off to Guildford. 

I have decided not chaperone this year - have done 2 years as a JA mum previously and it is very full on!  I am watching the performance twice and trying to catch up with some me time too.  Not sure what Guildford has in the way of shops but will take a couple of good books!

Guildford shops are great and I for one will be making sure I visit them all in turn!

Dd having a ball at summer school, she is so so happy there and has met some lovely friends both new and from last season. Looking forwards to the performances there are so many talented dancers to enjoy.

It is one of the best things my DD has ever done dance wise she gets so much pleasure from it.

Thank you so much for offering phones balletmum16  and Regattah! Last time she borrowed a mobile from one of the girls in her dorm so hopefully she would ask again if she really needed to talk to me. I’ll wait and see if she contacts me tonight, then maybe if she doesn’t Regattah I could PM you her name and dorm and your dd could do some spy work just to see if she’s happy (which I’m sure she is!) She would probably be embarrassed if she thought I was sending the forces in to check up on her! She has been away from me a few nights at a time before but never as long as this!

Well done to your daughter on receiving a commendation on Thursday night too balletmum16, that’s brilliant!

Even though dd hasn’t got her phone it’s nice to hear from people on here who are having a little more contact; I feel more in touch that way!

I was going to chaperone but my license has expired, and although I had good intentions of getting it renewed in time I haven’t got around to it. Hopefully I will next year if she successfully auditions again! I’ll also have my 3 year old in tow and my husband can’t stay with us for the entire time in Guildford as he has to head back home on Friday to shoot a wedding on the Saturday.

Ecarte I agree that the whole NYB experience is an amazing one. It’s certainly the best thing I ever did with my dancing in my youth, so I’m hoping dd will enjoy it equally as much and will come home having made new friends and will have had a wonderful experience!

I wonder if any of our children are in the same dorm or whether any of us met last Sunday?!

Nice to see a thread about NYB. Such a great experience for young dancers to be part of a professional company, working with top choreographers and performing 6 times in front of a paying audience. They are doing seven ballets this year... SEVEN ... plus the two choreo winners performances. Amazing.

• Like 1

NYB gave my son his first taste of dancing on a "big" stage (Sadler's Wells) which he loved and he was then well and truly bitten by the ballet bug - he was one of the boys in Fairytale, and I'm trying to work out which year.... 10 or 11 years ago anyway and it was his one and only time with them as he then went off to WL.

Daughter then followed in his shoes for 2 years - as a "JA" each time but was lucky to fill in as a red rose in Alice due to an injury (as she was always there watching rehearsals while waiting for her friend). She enjoyed it but I have to say was a bit disappointed with the lack of dancing in the second year when I think they did (sorry can't remember the name - something about nursery rhymes). She (and I) felt they didn't make the most of the talented children they had who were nearly all at grade 4/5 or inter foundation, and they basically did a lot of skipping.

I've been to lots of their performances over the years and have always been impressed by the standard, with only one year's rep being a bit disappointing - and have seen some lovely dancers go on to become professional dancers and choreographers.

• Like 3

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!

That just about covers my opinion of last nights gala performance by the NYB at The Bloomsbury Theatre London. The performances at Gulidford were very very good, but last night just blew me away!

Congratulations to all the staff and cast who worked so hard both at the summer school and the theatre performances. My DD had a fantastic time and can't wait to audition for next year.

I in the meantime have to start saving up, which I will do gladly as though it seems expensive, what you get for your money makes it very worthwhile.

A very positive first experience for us and hopefully the first of many. I cannot thank and praise Jill Tookey and her staff enough.

• Like 6

Unfortunately my Dd wasn't able to go to the gala, she has always loved all the show's but the gala is something special and I love the way all the company come onto the stage to be thanked at the end, lets the children know if they have had a big part or small they are all part of a team, and I have to admit at one of the show's I spent most of my time watching the children acting on the side's instead of the main dancers as they were fab and really brought the whole pieces together.

For those that went to the gala would love to know who won the trophies this year? Do anyone know?

x

Guest balletmum16

The statuette was won by two boys. One who was the choreographer of Chaos at the Keaton Cafe and the other who had come to NYB through the outreach programme a few years ago ( If I remember correctly!!)

• Like 1