National Youth Ballet 2013

tutoo2much

I'm so excited about the 2013 season being released! I was in Polovtsian Dances at VE Day in 1994!! Apologies for the over excitement but I think I'm going to have to take a trip to watch a performance even if dd doesn't make it in now!!  :D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd auditioned yesterday and said she did very little dance, a warm up session, a ballet class (very simple she said) and then a drama workshop. Then some of them were put into small groups that seemed to be divided by height. DD is just coming up 12 but is tall for her age and was put with a group of girls (6 or so) older than her but around her height. Then she was finished, as were the other small groups.

The others were then required to to dance again. 

She came out completely bewildered with absolutely no idea whether she had been cast or not. Her over riding feeling of the day was she'd not danced much so how could that be good?

So now we wait......................not very patiently!

Whilst I look for a cheap holiday as plan B.

Edited by Loulabelle

Hi Loulabelle, my dd was a bit despondent when she came out of last week’s audition with the same feeling….that she hadn’t danced much. She seemed happier yesterday but only danced the same amount as your dd from what I’m aware. She also said they were asked in the warm up studio which grade they were all on. She was by far the lowest although by no means the youngest, so I am very anxious for her! Not long to wait now though! Good luck to all awaiting audition results!

My dd said exactly the same - hardly any dancing.  She is a tall mature looking just 13 year old and was one of the last  out!  Not very enthusiastically I must add and was quiet on the way home!  I didn't ask her much and am dreading the letter as I know how much she would love the chance to have summer school at Tring with her friends.

I too am beginning to look for a holiday as something to focus on!

The audition final result letters are out!

My dd recieved a yes for main cast this morning and is absolutely thrilled.  She will have a fabulous time at summer school and it will be such as wonderful experience for her.  Fingers crossed for everyone who is waiting to here - shouldn't be long now!

• Like 7

Hi all, my daughter has been offered a Junior Associate role (her 11th birthday is in mid-September). Does anybody know if it's worth doing this, I have heard that for the juniors there is a lot of waiting around and not much action, and also they can't board at Tring, so a lot of work for us taxi-parents! We would normally be on our main family holiday in that period, so i am a bit reluctant to sacrifice it if not worth the experience for my DD.

Thank you!

Hi Piglet, it's first time round for us so I can't really comment, but as I have danced with NYB myself many years ok and only in very small roles, I would still say any part given is a great privilege to be offered as the standard and competition is so high. But obviously you need to weigh up the pros and cons of your own circumstances.

It's a yes for us too and I'm so so excited!! DD is over the moon and can't wait!

• Like 4

Its a yes for main cast for my Dd also. It do seem like a lot of money when you watch the profomance at the end and your child may only be in a 3 minute dance and is only on for what seems like seconds :huh:  but I feel NYB should be seen as a summer intensive with the added bonus of a professional preformance at the end, most of the main roles go to vocational students so its a chance to work along side these children as you never know when your child may be lucky enough to be boarding with them in the future. My Dd has made lots of friends over the year's, had some lovely "little" parts but has always wanted to go back because of the classes they run along side the rehursals, the down time and life long friends that form from spending time together. This year she has been given a part in small house of uncle thomas, not really any dancing in this but she's over the moon to be going away again to be with her friends.

We accept that when at home Dd is the big fish in the little pond so she gets the lead numbers and the most dances to preform in the yearly shows, and then when away she becomes the little fish in the big pond so she has to learn to make herself stand out if she wants to be noticed, its a lesson that can only be learned through experience an as a child that don't like to push herself to the front its a lesson she need's to learn if she wants to have a career in dance. so for us its time to buckle up and enjoy the ride of NYB for another year :D

x

• Like 2

Guest balletmum16

It's a yes for main cast for my dd too! She's only ten and will be boarding. Does anyone know of any other little ones staying?

• Like 2

Hi balletmum, my dd is also 10 and main cast with a residential place too! Although she will be almost 11 by the time of the summer school. I'm sure there will be several of them though and hopefully they'll all make friends quickly!

• Like 1

Guest balletmum16

That's good to hear. I didn't want her to be the only young one! Is your dd doing the coronation festival too?

No she’s not, although that sounds an amazing opportunity! Is your dd involved? I expect it will be a fantastic experience for the dancers lucky enough to take part!

Question for those who have been in NYB and boarded over the summer before….Will we get a list nearer the time of what they can and can’t bring?

Yes you will get a detailed kit and bedding list nearer the time.  The children also have the opportunity to take part in the choreograhphic competition and many do solos, duets or little groups and the parents get to watch in the theatre at Tring.  They also have themed party/disco one evening  which they get to dress up for!  The will have a wonderful time.  So happy to hear of all the yeses on here!

• Like 2

There were a number of girls who were in year 4 who boarded last year (so 8/9) and they had a wonderful time.  They intelligently put the girls of the same age together as they had loads in common and were in the same dances. Our experience was very positive and my dd will only just be 10 in August can't wait to board again.

Guest balletmum16

That's reassuring thanks. My dd did a shorter summer school last year and loved it and I'm sure she's going to love this too. She is involved with the coronation festival so I'm hoping she'll make some friends there first too x

Hi I'm new to this forum, I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone it’s such a fantastic experience

My DD first auditioned last year age 8 and was successful in gaining a place within the Junior Associate dance cast, I asked NYB if she could stay for the residential as we are a 2hr drive away and she was allowed by then she was 9. She loved it soo much and made lot's of friends, it was very expensive for us but when we saw her dance we knew we had made the right decision, the children and staff are so friendly as it was her first time being away, they had all different classes during the day as well as learning the dances for the show, they had a disco and had a chorography night which was amazing to watch

This year she also auditioned again and today she found out that she has been successful in getting into two of the main cast dances she is so over the moon all the hard work and running around makes it all worth it when you see the smile and the excitement of opening the letter today :)

The NYB has given our DD fantastic opportunities last Nov she danced at The Savoy Theatre and is very lucky to be dancing at the Coronation Festival in July, we are very proud of her.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You're making me jealous, Loulabelle! I do think it's such a good opportunity for them to do something out of their comfort zone, as you say. They know that their friends are watching (and they're all really good dancers themselves), they're competing against other good dancers and with influential people watching... It is scary! My DD rang just before it started having a slight panic that 'everyone' had costumes, which she didn't. I just told her to draw on some tears with a make-up pencil. As soon as it started she was fine!

I've been so impressed with everything so far. They never seem to stop!

I'm so disappointed I didn't get to go and watch. Being new and young dd didn't feel confident enough to enter herself this year and we don't live locally, but I'm sure she will have been inspired watching all of the other amazingly talented dancers! Has anyone heard much from their children? I complied with the request not to send in a mobile but felt awful for dd when we got there and everyone in her dorm had taken theirs! She did borrow a phone to call me on Wednesday night but that's all I've heard from her so I'm taking that as a good sign! I'm very much looking forward to watching next weekend! 

• Like 1

My ds is there also with no mobile, I got a call of him on fri eve. So pleased he is enjoying himself!!

I also couldn't attend the performance as we live so far away.

I can't wait to watch him next weekend! We will be staying over in Guildford as we have to travel from newcastle-under-lyme.

Guest balletmum16

I didn't go either due to the distance and am gutted as my daughter received a commendation! Its her first year at NYB and she's in the younger group so I'm very proud but sad to have missed it. She says that no one took any photos which is a great shame. She is calling home every day in her allotted hour of phone time! If your dc want to borrow her phone then pm me x

Edited by balletmum16