National Youth Ballet 2013

tutoo2much

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first round auditions are 10th Feb and 3rd March at ENBS also 10th March in Guildford. The recall and casting dates are provisionally 21st April JA's, 28th April Main cast and JA's and 5th May Costume fitting and photocall. The summer rehearsals are held at Tring Park 11th - 20th August and the performances 22nd-24th August at the Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, Guildford.

They are also auditioning today at ENBS.

Good luck to all dd's friends auditioning today and enjoying the workshop with LAUREN CUTHBERTSON ( a new patron adding to the already very impressive list!). 

My  dd and friend auditioning on 3rd March.  My dd has done this for two years but is desperate to do summer school at Tring!  Usually they have a Birmingham audition but think they have changed to Guildford this year possibly because this is the new theatre where the performances will be.  They used to be in Tonbridge.

Website is down today - I too have been trying to go on!

It is an amazing if expensive (prices for summer school have increased this year) experience but there are scolarships available!  There is a massive amount of hanging around and waiting as there is at any of these performance opportunities so this needs to be taken into consideration.

They do also seem to have their "favorite dancers" who come back each season without really having to properly audition.  It does seem to be who you know not what you know!

That said the standard of the dancing is amazing and defo worth going to watch a performance even if you are not lucky enough to get picked for 2103 cast! 

After reading some old threads I gather NYB is a lot harder to get into than EYB. I wonder if anyone who has done it before could help answer some questions please. How many people audition and how many places are there? My dd is 10 , are there more places for older or younger dancers? Do most of the successful candidates go to vocational school or do some come from regular dance schools. My dd has an audition on the 3rd so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Danceroo, my dd did NYB last year and loved it.  The performance was absolutely fantastic and professional and well worth seeing even if you didn't have a dc in it.  I don't know the exact number who auditioned, but there were loads for I think about 90 places, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  Many of the dancers were from vocational schools, or at least associates, but my dd wasn't, so don't let that put you off.  Younger dancers tend to get only a very small part.  My dd was originally only in one dance, but was given another part at summer school.  Our advice at audition would be to smile, and give a very technical performance.  Sadly, my dd isn't doing it this year as it is very, very expensive, even with a scholarship.  It was very much a performing experience, I don't think the classes at summer school were at all challenging, but it was very enjoyable and we would definitely consider it another year (I keep buying those lottery tickets!).  I hope your dd gets through auditions and enjoys the experience as much as mine did. :)

There are a lot of children who get "main parts" who are vocational children. 

My dd isn't vocational but was successful two years running for Junior Associates.  However had a massive growth spurt last year and looked 12/13 - they are looking for performance skills which she has but also very hot on technique.

She was 11 and obviously  couldn't compete technique wise with the 13 year olds.  However if they see something special they will try to fit you in!

My dd would love to dance as a career but simply isn't interested  going to vocational school until at least 16. 

Her main local school ballet teacher is the NYB ballet mistress (not sure how much input she has into the final selection process) but she has suggested she  audtioned again this year. She did last year but DD unsuccessful!

DD is desperate to have two weeks away  at a summer school  as we can't commit to a holiday abroad as ALL ENGLAND DANCE FINALS loming as well.

Go for it - they love the little ones if they have the cute factor! 90 plus parts but at least double that audition. I

All i can say is really smile and try to perform! x

Just to add, I think another thing that the NYB summer school was really good for was having a taster of what it would be like to go away to vocational school.  My dd had done YBSS for 2 years, but had her own room there.  At Tring, she had to share a dorm with 5 other girls and from what I can make out, things didn't always go smoothly.  She witnessed a couple of other girl's severe home sickness and also I think there was some falling out that although she wasn't directly involved with had of course an effect on everyone else in the dorm due to their close proximity.  Quite a big lesson to learn to be sympathetic whilst not getting involved at that age I think and hopefully, one that will stand her in good stead when she goes away in September.  The house parents were brilliant and really looked after the children.

Guest Pinny105

my dd and friends ads all auditioned last weekend looking forward to it xxx fingers crossed will let you know what happened  :D

Lemongirl, yes it is harder to get into NYB because they have one production a year and people all over the country go to the auditions; whereas EYB is different, since they tour the regions with several productions a year you are generally up against the best in the region rather than the best in the whole country! Edited to add: Also, NYB is in the summer holidays so many full-time vocational children take part.

Edited by taxi4ballet

Guest balletmum16

Hi, does anyone know when the recall letters are sent out? And how likely are NYB to take younger children into main cast? We live so far away that it has to be worthwhile us travelling. So hard when everything rotates around London!

Guest balletmum16

Well done to your dd! I understand that under 12s can't board so we'll have to find somewhere local to stay if my dd is successful.

Thanks Ecarte, - I tried it, but it's still coming up with the same, black at the top and blue-green lower down and nothing else except a message saying 'done with errors on page'. Weird...

Have you tried clearing your internet cache Taxi?  It may be that you are just retrieving the page from your cache.

If you are on windows 7, you can go into Control Panel/network and internet and use the button to clear browser history and cookies.  That should force the latest version of the pages to be loaded when you click on a URL.  It's not the full spring clean we used to get in work but it may help.

• 1 month later...

Just had letter from NYB and my DD has been recalled from the last set of auditions in Guildford.

As yet I know this does not guarantee casting, but am ever so slightly excited :rolleyes:

Can anyone with previous experience of the summer school tell me what the format to the days are whilst at Tring?

Also whilst doing the performances (not the gala) I understand they can stay in school type accommodation? Is this compulsory? Do we have to pay extra for this? or can they commute if a reasonable distance?

• Like 2