Can your dd do her own bun?

Lemongirl

My DD has been doing her own hair since she was 10 and she does it to perfection. She went away to a residential summer school and practiced a few times before and then just had to get on with it !  They learn very quickly !

My dd also learnt to do her own bun just before she went to summer school for the first time.  She had just turned 11.  I love doing her hair, but now she won't let me unless it's for an audition.  I miss it, but as she's going away in September, I guess it's best that she does her own.

Don't worry, lemongirl , my DD took ages before she could manage a decent bun. I think she was about 12.5 . She has very long straight extremely thick hair and uses about 25 pins to secure it! I'm sure your daughter will suddenly 'get it' and your bun making days will be over...

• Like 1

DD1 did hers when she was about 12-13, DD2 when she was 11 and little DD3 at 9... I suppose my tiredness at having having to do it played a big part!

And they have lenses as well!!!

Summer schools force you to independence...

They still don't sew their pointes though!  :(

• Like 2

French pleats! Argh! I could never do them. When it was time for tap and modern exams at my two dd's ballet school, the three people who could make them (out of the hundreds who went there!) turned the place in to a French pleat making factory, thank goodness :)

• Like 1

My daughter was 10 last year at Royal summer school and did her own bun each day! I do however still do it for her most of the time especially for auditions and Jas etc as she prefers me to do it!!! She will have to do it soon enough is she goes away in September so I am happy to hold on to those moments for now!!! 

My dd learnt to do her own hair at 10 years prior to going away to vocational school, and that is really because she had to. If your dd isnt going away then I wouldnt worry too much at all. Different hair types can be very difficult to handle. That mother daughter bond whilst doing the hair is lovely, you might not think so at the time but in later years you will look back with a smile on your face.

• Like 2

Dd's modern & tap teacher does French pleats for exams as buns get in the way during floor excercises and they look neater than just normal ponytails.

I can't do them at all. My bun attempts are passable - just.

Because dd's ballet class is straight from school ( some finish school at 4pm and class is 4.15pm her teacher doesn't mind as long as you've made an attempt.

My dd is 12 and has probably been doing her own bun for the last 6 months or so, getting better all the time. I think it's just practice. Mine were awful at the beginning as well! I have never mastered pleating at all, not matter how many times I try. Would love someone to teach me.

My dd is 10 and can do her own. It is very thick hair and long too. However, I tend to till do it for we JA class or festivals as it is neater. She has put it in a ponytail herself for a good year and can do an ordinary plait too. I have recently discovered the bun heads bun pins and even though her hair is very thick you only need about 4 or 5 of them. They hold extremely well.

My dd is just 10 with really thick curly hair. I struggle to put it in a bun myself! She is boarding at Tring for the Easter dance course so we are in the process of trying to teach her to do her own bun. I was hoping there would be adults on hand to help with this? It will be hard enough being away from home for the first time let alone worrying if your hair is ok!

Those whose DD's are struggling, have you tried the bun net over the ponytail, then shape it round and round into a bun, then pin method? It really helps, especially if the hair is not quite long enough or is a little unruly. My DD learnt how to do her own bun aged about 10 using this method. Now 13 and doing it every day at school she puts the net on after the pins. You do it flatter, more 'pancake' that way.

Can I ask a silly question? What's the difference between a french pleat and a french plait?

I do my daughter's bun.  Too many pins were really getting me down, and then I discovered the bun screws.  It will even hold with 1 screw, and my daughter has quite long hair.  I start with a pony tail and do the bun around that.  At some point, I will have to do it a different way.  I do prefer the screws to jillions of hair pins.

No that is french plaits like  normal plaits but someone looks wonderful and starts from the top of the head.and is done backwards.  Then there is the fish tail plaits!!  

French pleats are sophisticated classical styles as you described which I need to get to grips with for festival ballet group but despite watching numerous you tube footage and buying something similar to a bun donut but long and thin - still no success!

My dd will not allow me near her hair as it has always be a bit of an obsession with me for the bun to be flat and neat and she tends to back comb it and make it look rather like a birds nest!  For festivals and auditions and exams I will stand there and encourage rather than shout with a can of hairspray to get it right!  She has long hair too which doesn't help. 

Then we have the bun with curls for her modern duet and her messy side parting bun for a modern group and high twisty plaits for NYB audition - help !!!!!

• Like 1

The best parent done buns I've seen at dd's school is a girl whose dad does her hair. He's brilliant at it- she always looks pristine.

My husband's ballet bun technique is brilliant - incredibly neat and polished! :-)

I think ease of styling is so dependent on hair type. I have very thick but coarse wavy hair and it's brilliant for staying put in any hairstyle - even French Twists/Pleats.

Dd's hair is really tricky - thick, lots of it, but silky and shiny - so doesn't want to stay in any style without long thick bunheads pins and at least half a ton of hairspray!

• Like 1

When my DD started at Scottish Ballet JA's she was 9 and part of their very first class was being shown how to do their own buns - they were told quite clearly that they must be able to do it themselves. Since then the most I have to do is ensure the starting pony tail is smooth and at the right height for exams/auditions. On a normal class day she will do everything herself.

Unfortunately she has very fine, exceptionally curly hair - so we are 100% reliant on GHD's and John Freida Frizz Eaze for exam days (the serum gives a much nicer finish than hairspray we find as it doesn't look so 'solid') - for normal class her teacher accepts that she'll have her 'wild' days where the curls just will not stay in a pony never mind a bun.

Very impressed with these dads that do buns!

I went away for a few days a year or two ago and dh just about managed a simple pony tail on the dds!

I've had several spells in hospital so I had to teach DH how to do a decent bun - now his are better than mine! :-)

Very impressed with these dads that do buns!

I went away for a few days a year or two ago and dh just about managed a simple pony tail on the dds!

Lol, after my parents divorced, on a Friday (when we were with dad) my younger sister always went to school with her hair in three pigtails because dad couldn't quite manage to get it into two! bless him ;)

• Like 4

My seven year old niece does her own hair as my sister is hopeless!  I award my younger students stars for having their hair up- the one with the most at the end of term gets first pick from my hair scrunchie bag!

They quickly learn that my" mum/dad  can't do it" is not an excuse as I award extra stars to those who have had a go themselves, however messy it is. I also encourage them to bring the hair things in with them if they really struggle so that me or a helper can do it- thats a great way of showing them. Having done this for years I now find that students from 10 years are usually pretty efficient- practise makes perfect!

• Like 5