Callanetics

Tulip

I am not a dancer but have done Callenetics.  I started it because I had a very painful back.  Within a couple of months of doing callenetics twice a week the pain was gone and has not come back.  The instructor explained to me that my back muscles had turned to fat and as a result were not supporting my body properly.  By doing callenetics they returned to muscle and were able to support my body properly - friends and family also noticed I had better posture.  I know core strength was discussed on another thread but I think if you were looking to improve what dance teachers refer to as core strength callenetics would be a good exercise class to do.  It involves doing many (hundreds) of small repetitions of certain movements - I would describe them as pulses of movement.  The abdominal repetitions are a killer - about 600-800 in one class!  My DS (when home on holiday) also tried it a couple of times and really enjoyed it.  He made it look easy but he did say he thought it was tough!

• Like 3

Sorry but I have to laugh, muscles can't turn to fat and then back to muscle again. Muscles can get weak and lose bulk, and a layer of subcutaneous fat may form on top but muscle is protein (aka polypeptides made of small molecules called amino acids) cannot turn into fat (aka lipids which are made from molecules of glycerol and fatty acids). Their chemical structure is totally different.

It reminds me of when someone told me, very proudly, that someone who she'd paid a lot of money to had informed her that "her ribs were out" And that was the root of her back pain. My first thought was "where have they gone to?!".

• Like 2

Thank you for clarifying Dr Dance :) Whatever the medical/anatomical implications of Callenetics I would recommend it as although torturous on occasions it was also enjoyable and for me beneficial physically. Unfortunately, the costs of having a DS in London has forced me to take a break as the classes are expensive.

Veryskint - Please don't think I was being critical of the classes and training method- it was clearly beneficial for you and must have increased your core muscle endurance to support your back alleviating your pain, which is always brilliant in any situation!

• Like 1