I've always been put off GTD because of the amount of street/hip hop/ break dancing that is shown.

However I have to say I am really enjoying this years series because of the diversity of acts that are being televised.

Anything that brings ballet to a larger mainstream audience has got to be a good thing.

However, if I was your average non-ballet enthusiast and did not know who Daniel Jones was would I have realised he was a top soloist in one of the UK's leading companies? No I don't think I would, not on that audition.

If he goes through to the live semi-finals lets hope he pulls something spectacular out of the bag to truly show case his talent.

I for one wish that the BBC would commission another series of SYTYCD. I used to love watching up and coming talent dancing different genres each week. (However there's no comparison between Nigel Lythgoe and Ashley Banjo!!! :-D )

Edited by Kitschqueen_1
  • Like 1

I missed this weeks got to dance,where there any good contestants on? Up to now I really liked the boy that had played Billy Elliot in the past, he showed so much potential, I think he is from Centre Point in Manchester, which is where Matthew Koon originaly trained.

SYTYCD was a really good idea, can't put my finger on why it somehow didn't quite work... Really enjoyed some of the choreography on it too.

I watched a series of this but didn't particularly enjoy it.  I found the various categories of dance quite confusing (and indistinguishable in some cases e.g. what's the difference between contemporary, jazz, Broadway and was there modern or am I misremembering?).  And I couldn't really follow some of the comments from the judges - a lot of slang and hot air (or even sound and fury) signifying nothing, it seemed to me.  And as ever the public voted for the dancer who came across as most cute, or most charming or who had the most poignant back-story, which is a problem with all programmes of this type.  A real shame ...

I loved watching the dancing on SYTYCD, but the problem was the emphasis on the back story.  In spite of the programmes efforts to pretend some dancers were "underdogs" having come from nowhere - in reality they were products of the best vocational training schools and some had extensive experience as young professionals!

In spite of the programmes efforts to pretend some dancers were "underdogs" having come from nowhere - in reality they were products of the best vocational training schools and some had extensive experience as young professionals!

You're right, I remember now them constantly alluding to a dancers "raw talent" as if he had just walked in off the street and received no training whatsover. In fact he was a full time student or just graduated (can't remember which) from Urdang!

As the earlier thread has moved on from discussing one dancer, I believe it will be easier to have a new, more general, thread to discuss Got to Dance.  I've moved some of the newer posts from the old thread to this new thread and I've locked the old thread.  Please continue discussions of the programme here.

• Like 2

Not sure if his name was Sam, he was in the first or second episode.

There was a lad of 19 who danced topless - doing a contemporary style - who I liked.  The name Seth was coming to me for some reason.  Could it have been him, or is the one you mean younger?

Hi Julie, this boy that I liked was about 14, he is younger than my daughter. I think his name is either Sam or Ben. I remember him at a summer school when he was only about 8 years old, his leaps and jumps were very impressive. The dance school he goes to is an excellent one especially for boys as they have male teachers aswell as female ones. Just to add my daughter did not go to this dance school so I am not saying all this to promote the school.

• Like 1

I happened to watch a dancing competition programme on TV,  "So You Think You can Dance". I loved the two contestants who danced salsa. It was so perfect and flawless. I'd better watch it and I recommend it to everyone who loves dancing.

Edited by addywatson

Wow wow wow, did any of you see the Canadian boy Lukas. Honestly I looked stupid as I couldn't stop smiling watching him. I can't wait for my daughter to come home and watch him, he was jaw dropping amazing at the start of a very bright career.

• Like 1

See I saw this and wasn't impressed. What did I miss? I do think it's a hard platform to do contemporary but he just didn't do it for me. Given how crazy everyone was going I felt bad I didn't like it. Maybe i just don't like the angsty walking and looks. I don't know and don't be upset with me. Sure he could move ok but his physique didn't help me either. Sorry.

Aw we all like different things and that is good. I don't like some of the other styles but I am starting to appreciate what they are doing such as that body popping I don't like it but Tom the little boy was really good. The one style that I can't get my head around yet is the free style disco, up to now I just don't like it and I hate the costumes. Other people absolutely love it, I am not right and neither are they we are all just different.