RBS summer school

En Pointe

Hi! So good to have this forum! Just wondered if anyone had asked RBS, or had any idea...I know it used to take about a month or so for summer school application results letters to come out...does anyone have any idea when we might hear this time? Obviously I won't be holding my breath, as the odds are pretty stacked against a yes, but I'm just wondering how long we might wait. The Olympics-related early closing date suggests it might be fairly soon, I guess.

EP x

Checked last year's selection letter was dated 1st April - but the entries closed much earlier this year due to the Olympics. I still feel they might wait until after the preliminary school audtions coming up in the next few weeks - so i'm not stalking the postie yet.

Yes - "selected waiting list" for my DD, and they will write in March to let us know if a place has become available. Nice not to have had an outright no, but not very helpful for summer holiday planning! It is hard to know what that phrase really means...a waiting list of how many, I wonder.

edited to say that I just meant "yes" the letters are out, not we have a yes!

Edited by En Pointe

A wating list place here too - we are sooo pleased and suprised. The letter was lovely and very encouraging even if a place doesn't come up it still feels like an achievement. Hoping that 'selected waiting list' means that it's not too big a list and keeping fingers crossed that we are not at the bottom of it lol! :>) :rolleyes:

My daughter has been given waiting list for the 3rd year running. She has never been offered a place from the waiting list. Can someone tell me if all MA's who apply get the waiting list if they do not get offered summer school. Would be good to have an idea how many dancers are on the waiting list..

I would find it helpful if they gave us a sense of position on the list, as I don't really want to keep weeks free for something that feels at the moment like a very outside chance. We haven't had an MA class since the letters came out, but I do know that at least one other MA and JA who have the 'selected waiting list' letter. I've pretty much written it off!

Hi my daughter has also been offered a sected waiting list place. I think sometimes places do become available, but if I am planning a holiday I won;t be letting a waiting list summer school get in the way of things. Well done for the people who have got a place though and I hope you all have a fabulous time.

Hi, congratulations to everybody who has been offered a place or on the waiting list. My dd wanted to apply this year but dad and I thought she was alittle too young to handle the boarding should she of been lucky enough to be offered a place.

Out of interest should we apply next year; are the ones who have been offered a summer school place with one of the royal associate programmes?

Thanks

Oldermum- We have received financial assistance from RBS for attending summer school in the past and as far as I can work out the funding is totally based on income. My contribution, as a proportion of the full fees has gone up with my income. I am fairly sure that if you are on a very low income (eg entitled to free school meals) it is fully funded. Don't be afraid to ring up with any questions. I have always found the admin team of the summer school to be very approachable and helpful.

Dancing Taxi, I think that quite a lot of the younger English girls, (but not all) are RBS associates. However there are children from all over the world that aren't. JA's are given a form to apply that have JA stamped on it. And I think a lot of girls send their photos in in wearing their JA uniform, but not all JA's get a place. It seems that all the girls who are invited to the RBS finals get a summer school place, but maybe that is a coincidence. I also noticed that some of the girls who attend White Lodge do the summer school. I don't know if they are automatically accepted.

a no and a waiting list for us this year - waiting list DS has done Summer School twice in the past whilst at primary school (year 5 and 6) and is now at Vocational School. He was never a JA/PVP at all.

just shows that all combinations can be possible! for those with places, enjoy the week and make good friends

Oldermum- We have received financial assistance from RBS for attending summer school in the past and as far as I can work out the funding is totally based on income. My contribution, as a proportion of the full fees has gone up with my income. I am fairly sure that if you are on a very low income (eg entitled to free school meals) it is fully funded. Don't be afraid to ring up with any questions. I have always found the admin team of the summer school to be very approachable and helpful.

Dancing Taxi, I think that quite a lot of the younger English girls, (but not all) are RBS associates. However there are children from all over the world that aren't. JA's are given a form to apply that have JA stamped on it. And I think a lot of girls send their photos in in wearing their JA uniform, but not all JA's get a place. It seems that all the girls who are invited to the RBS finals get a summer school place, but maybe that is a coincidence. I also noticed that some of the girls who attend White Lodge do the summer school. I don't know if they are automatically accepted.

Thanks for that just filled in the forms my DD is very excited, she applied last year and got waiting list so very pleased to have a place this year. :D

I do wonder if a larger than usual amount of waiting list places have been offered this year due to the early entries.

They usually like to offer SS places to "new intake" students who will be taking up a full time place at the school in September along with some finalists - they obviously wont know numbers/names until after the finals have taken place so I am guessing they are holding a large number of places 'pending' at the moment. Purely my thoughts and speculation - I know nothing, my DD doest even apply for this SS! :)

I wonder if they will prefer this early entry method and continue it in further years.

Well done to anyone who has alredy been offered a place and good luck to those waiting.

Mixed replies here as well: 3 DD applied, 2 got rejected and 1 got a place for the first week. She was on the waiting list last year and didn't get in so she's delighted. Her big sister though was turned down 2 years in a row! Little sister, first time, applied just "to see" (her words) so she's not too disappointed...

Could someone tell us what the one who's in should be expected?

She's also trying the audition next Sunday for the Lower School and MA? Do you know if it helps when one's been picked for the SS?

Thanks a lot and good luck for the ones on the waiting list, I know how hard it can be on the nerves...

• Like 1

My DS's application was for the juniors at White Lodge (he will be 14 and 11 months at the time of SS) and then received an email asking if he would be willing to be considered for the Covent Garden SS. Said yes and he has been offered a place which we have accepted. Down side is he jumped off a wall on Sat evening whilst out messing around with mates (teenage boys- a law unto themselves) and has fractured three metatarsals on his right foot. The day before he was due to fly back to school. Grrr. There goes the flight money, and his training for the next 2 months. Hopefully he will be fit by July though..... :(

To add- he has never been a JA or MA at RBS...

Edited by CeliB
  • Like 1

afab- I doubt if the summer school place will make any difference at the audition, even if the audition panel knew. It is all about what happens in that hour! However sometimes children who do not get offered a place after the audition, going to summer school and being invited to stay on at the school fulltime!

Edited by tutoo2much