Tring Park

theballerinapointe

Well done :)  :D  and how lucky you are ballerinapointe that you can go without funding - lots of hugs for your parents (and cups of tea made!)

Perhaps you should do a bit of hoovering too.... :D

Congratulations by the way!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 3

I got a yes from tring!! Year 10 place starting sept 2013!!

Still waiting for the results from elmhurst!

Good luck to everyone waiting for results <3

Were you told how many yr 10 places they have this year?

Hope it's good news from Elmhurst too - but then how to choose!!!

Letter has arrived today saying that they would like to offer dd a place on the theatre arts course for which there's no funding :(

They thought she would be more suitable for that course than the dance course. Unfortunately,funds don't come anywhere near the fees so she won't be able to accept.

Positive that someone has seen something in her though & she says herself,she's not bothered what she does,she just wants to dance!

Audition next month at another schoo; so we shall see what happens there.

smallbythesea

• Like 5

Hi smallbythesea

I realise your question was directed at spannerandpony but this also happened to my dd a few years ago.

She was given a place on the dance course no funding and a place on the theatre arts course with a scholarship audition.

The Hammond funding audition was the same day as the Tring scholarship audition ,she chose To go to Hammond and has been there for the past 4 and a half years.

The reason I'm am posting this is that at the time my dd was heartbroken she didn't get in the RBS or Elmhurst .The ironic thing is she now wants a career in Musical Theatre and absolutely lioves singing and acting as well as dance.

Perhaps Tring saw something we didn't at the time!!

Have you looked at The Hammond as it really is very strong on the musical theatre/ performing arts as well as the dance so much so my dd would like to stay for upper school.

• Like 3

Spannerandpony, did she audition anywhere else at the time?

Only Elmhurst, but looking back she didn't have the confidence to be able to show herself to best advantage back then - she was painfully shy and like a little shrinking violet! :-) I'm not sorry she auditioned, but she wasn't ready to get a place.

She did - and does - have a beautiful singing voice and a good speaking voice, so I suspect that combined with decent dancing was why Tring offered her Theatre Arts. :-)

She's stuck with her ballet though and is gaining more confidence as she gets older. It's still her dream so we'll see what happens in a couple of years at 6th form auditions!

Hi Hairbelles

Dd has audition next month for Hammond. Am I right in thinking that they look at a dancer has an all-rounder though rather than classical ballet? Maybe,they will look for something different than Tring. I note the Hammond dance course now do more in the way of singing/drama but am I right in thinking theres not a musical theatre course from year 7?

Any idea how many audition for these places & how many are accepted? Just want to put it into perspective for an 11 year old.

I do remember the principal saying thought that if you get a yes,that you're in the top 5% of the country.

smallbythesea

theballerinapointe- Thank you. Dd changed dance schools in september & now does 11 1/2 hours per week which includes MT, so at least she has the opportunity to explore different options. She also does a full day associate class once a month.

Taxi - maybe we should set up a support group, lol. Are more being turned down due to an increase in numbers or less funding do we know? It is such a shame because these children put a lot of hard work (& us parents money) into them training to be dancers. Maybe I should persuade her to be a nurse ;) At least that would be funded. Although I dont think the patients would appreciate her dancing down the ward like she does everywhere else. :D

Next stop Hammond, so we shall see what happens there. All good experience though.

Hi Hairbelles

Dd has audition next month for Hammond. Am I right in thinking that they look at a dancer has an all-rounder though rather than classical ballet? Maybe,they will look for something different than Tring. I note the Hammond dance course now do more in the way of singing/drama but am I right in thinking theres not a musical theatre course from year 7?

Any idea how many audition for these places & how many are accepted? Just want to put it into perspective for an 11 year old.

I do remember the principal saying thought that if you get a yes,that you're in the top 5% of the country.

smallbythesea

When my younger dd auditioned the emphasis was more on performance rather than being classical or an all-rounder. Over the last few years they have had students go onto colleges such as Laine,Bird etc, The Bolshoi  Academy and the top ballet schools so either route is a possibility.

The dancers have always had a lot of vocal training as well as their dance lessons.You are right thinking there is no actual musical theatre course from yr7 but every other year they stage a full musical which the children yr 9 upwards participate in,this year it's Phantom of the Opera.

I can't recall how many are usually on the initial auditions but I do remember at the  funding audition there were around 25 children yr 7&8's .Children from older years didn't attend the funding audition but are still considered for MDS. Over the last few years I have known there to be as few as 7 MDS awards to as many as 15. I don't know how many are accepted at each audition.

There will be an old thread about Hammond somewhere on the forum .

Good Luck to your dd ,hope you both enjoy the day! Fab shopping for you at the nearby outlet  ;)

• Like 1

HI Hairbelles, totally off topic I know, but do you mean the Outlet at Ellesmere Port?  I loathe that place with a passion that is unnatural!!  The last time I went there about 6 years ago my Mum and I lost each other and my Mum went into a total panic thinking I had forgotten her and gone home.  Fortunately we found each other but I've never even wanted to go there again!

• Like 1