Is Svetlana Lunkina moving to Toronto?

• 2 weeks later...

MACLEANS.CO published a long and quite comprehensive interview with Svetlana Lunkina:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/02/08/star-in-the-wings/

“The question is left begging: who will be smart enough to get her on stage first?” 

It is so obvious how she longs to dance. What a waste of her sublime talent at the time when she is in her prime. MacGregor admired her work in ‘Chroma’ so much that he gave her 2 leading parts there, which she alterated at different performances. ‘The Right of Spring’ was intended for her.

And the Bolshoi acquired Cranko's Onegin where she would have been a lovely poetic Tatiana.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
NEWS from Princeton University:

"Ballet and Politics in Russia, A Conversation with Svetlana Lunkina, Prima Ballerina of the Bolshoi Theater Ballet.”

Organized by the Lewis Center for the Arts, the Department of Music, the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures, and the Program in Russian and Eurasian Studies.

Event Date:  Monday, March 11, 2013 - 4:30pm

Hopefully, there will be some reporting in the press following this event.

• 2 weeks later...
Svetlana Lunkina visits Princeton.

From Facebook taken at Princeton University, with pictures of her masterclass:

It looks less and less probable that we will see her in Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Bayadere and Diamonds this summer. What an unfortunate and sad loss, definitely for me! Just want to beg: Svetlana, please come.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the wrong posting of an old link in my previous message. I meant to post this:

A new article appeared in the Russian magazine'Monolit Digest' about Svetlana Lunkina by a ballet critic Alexander Firer. It is the most exalted rhapsodic celebration, or even hymning, of a Russian dancer I have ever read, apart from some descriptions of Ulanova.

What is important, in my view, is that this kind of article is written now. The author did not mention any macabre events at the Bolshoi so 'loved' by other journalists and didn't write a word about Lunkina's present situation. He mentioned neither the gradual settling of her dancing career in the West nor her problems with returning to Russia in the near future. He just wrote about her as the Bolshoi's glorious ballerina and looked forward to seeing her 'new achievements and revelations'. As if he intentionally dismissed all controversies and political implications and stated clearly that this ballerina is a great treasure, a unique precious gem, irreplaceable in her own theatre and her return to her native Moscow and the Bolshoi should be most welcome and inevitable. This is how I understood that article which is an excellent analysis of the ballerina's roles and at the same time an outburst of love and admiration for her unique qualities.

I personally felt Svetlana's absence during the Bolshoi's recent tour in London.

Unfortunately, the link to 'Monilit Digest' doesn't work but the Russian text of this article with beautiful photographs of Svetlana Lunkina can be seen on another site:

http://forum.balletfriends.ru/viewtopic.php?t=5717&start=60

Edited for typo.

Edited by Amelia

• 1 month later...

At last something new is being done for Svetlana Lunkina now.

Inside the Studio: Robert Binet with Svetlana Lunkina and Piotr Stanczyk in rehearsal for "Unearth":

http://nationalballet.tumblr.com/post/63463382167/inside-the-studio-robert-binet-with-svetlana

If anyone in Canada will see her performances on November 22 to 28, please tell here about them.

• 4 weeks later...
When the curtain rises Friday night on Innovation, the highly-anticipated program of new work commissioned by the National Ballet of Canada, the forward-leaning choreography won’t be the only attention-grabber.

Dancing in two of the four pieces will be Bolshoi ballerina Svetlana Lunkina, making her debut with the National Ballet as a principal guest artist.

Good luck to Svetllana!

So dd's review.... She was sitting in 5th ring therefore said she could not view well enough to critique Svetlana's performance but said both pieces were well danced and her extensions were awesome. She gave more a critique on the choreography but this thread is about Svetlana. Perhaps we will see her dance in the Nutcracker next month.

I also saw her in the Innovation program, and fortunately was not in the 5th ring but in 3rd row of the orchestra (stalls)! She seems to have absolute control of her body, ie  a choreographer could ask her to do ANYTHING and she would accomplish it with style.  Definitely star quality.