Split sole ballet shoes

Ja Sm

So Danca do indeed do a lovely canvas split sole with nylon insert in the arch to hug into the arch.

I agree with the above though, in my option, split soles are suitable for students with strong feet and are more of an aesthetic shoe, rather than a working shoe. Although of course if the student also wears soft blocks in class, strengthening takes place here.

• Like 1

interesting, having read all of the above that at least one of the vocational schools ask the  children to wear canvas split soles. As a complete novice I am wondering is this to do with the amount of ballet they are doing and the fact that they are expecting the children to have reasonably strong feet already to have got there? I dont mean to sound controvertial but I don't understand why the vocational shools would do that if it isn't good practise

• Like 1

So Danca do indeed do a lovely canvas split sole with nylon insert in the arch to hug into the arch.

I agree with the above though, in my option, split soles are suitable for students with strong feet and are more of an aesthetic shoe, rather than a working shoe. Although of course if the student also wears soft blocks in class, strengthening takes place here.

Lots of useful comments re split-soled shoes on here. I'm wondering though, what's the difference between wearing split soles and dancing in bare feet (eg for modern/contemporary)? 

Dancing bare-footed isn't going to give the feet any support at all, so I'm a bit curious - is dancing in bare feet bad for you?

• Like 1

I do wonder with all these negative comments about canvas split sole ballets shoes, and tring have asked for them to be worn by my 8 year old?

In France, all the big schools are actually asking kids to use only canvas split soles right from the start and absolutely never leather! To me, it is a matter of habit and ballet culture more than anything else...

Edited by afab
  • Like 1

Lots of useful comments re split-soled shoes on here. I'm wondering though, what's the difference between wearing split soles and dancing in bare feet (eg for modern/contemporary)? 

Dancing bare-footed isn't going to give the feet any support at all, so I'm a bit curious - is dancing in bare feet bad for you?

Sometimes high impact dance in bare feet can be troublesome. I know years ago when my dd had ongoing achilles tendonitis (sorted by physio and orthotics) the physio told her she had to wear jazz trainers with arch support for Modern. The impact absorbing qualities of the trainers really helped.

Now her teachers prefer her to dance in bare feet for Contemporary, as opposed to foot thongs - the feeling being that dancing barefoot will help harden the skin on her feet so that spinning is easier. That obviously depends on the floor though.

I have to say that I am surprised about the canvas split shoes for the younger kids  as mentioned above.  I would be very interested in seeing some proper medical research.  I mean maybe I'm just repeating some old-fashioned mantra!  I do justify my insistance on leather shoes though because they definitely last longer and stay in better shape than the canvas ones, which tend to go into holes and get filthy very quickly!  (Yes I know you can wash them, but most kids wait so long before doing so that the dirt won't come out)

I was quite annoyed with the licsl dance shop when we went to get dd some new ballet shoes. After explaining about her incredibly high instep and wide foot and that orthotics are being considered and she needed to develop strength because of it and that I wanted leather not satin as they are more hardwearing the assistant (who was also a dance teacher) brought our a pair of split sole canvas.

Dd's eyes lit up. I said no they are not allowed those. Dd said some of the older girls have them (the Grade 5s, dd is 11 and Grade 3) I said no Mrs x says you have to have full sole for exams.

I can't understand that said the assistant. We let ours wear them for class then they just buy a new pair for the exam! ( yes from your shop next door to your dance school)

I stood my ground despite dd's pleading saying we use the same shoes for class, shoes and exams while they are still growing. It's different when they have stopped or are doing more than 2 classes a week and just a waste if money. Grrr.

Ah I'm afraid I don't like leather, the feet get more sweaty (or mine used to anyway lol) and if they get a scuff they look awful, you can't wash it off. Plus the colour often isn't great. I much prefer canvas, shame they're quite hard to get hold of with a full sole. Satin is required at dd's school though from about grade 3 and above they can wear canvas occasionally if they want to. Dd had satin and canvas until she lost her canvas pair 2 weeks ago grrrrrr!!

Yes you can get them but haven't found a local shop that sells them so it does have to be mail order and my dd has got very difficult (wide) feet so it's always best to try on if we can or I end up sending loads back!

Satin ones probably last dd 6-9 months wearing them for 4 classes a week but then maybe she's not using her feet properly lol!

Don't know if anyone has heard about MDM ballet shoes. They are split soles but have some new technology that strengthens the feet. Think they are only available in the US at the moment (i saw them on discount dance) but if they actually work they might save the debate! Oh and I wear leather split soles, I've never tried canvas ones but I'm pretty sure I have lost strength since I started using them, but my old full soles were so uncomfortable!

I think White Lodge has the kids in full soles (correct me if I am wrong). Elmhurst doesn't. Both my boys wear split soles in canvas and I do wash them although my eldest won't let me any more! A useful tip for the little suede soles once they have been smoothed down is to buff them gently with either an emery board (for nail filing) or a pumice stone. This brings up the nap of the suede and they are less slippy.

• Like 4