News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/02/2019 at 06:58, toursenlair said:

Graeme Murphy did a ballet for Bavarian State Ballet in 2005 based on Der Rosenkavalier, but not using music by Strauss. It was called  The Silver Rose and was subsequently performed by The Australian Ballet in 2010.

The Strauss estate wouldn't allow it because ballet. So Mr Murphy worked with Australian composer Carl Vine and designer Roger Kirk AM and parts of it were divine. Sophie's appearance at the ball for example. The Marschallin leaving Sophie and Octavian. However I doubt it will be revived in its entirety as overall ... meh.

• 3 weeks later...

Next season at Staatsballett Berlin: Sasha Waltz and Johannes Öhman presented the program of the first season under their joint artistic directorship at the Staatsballett Berlin.

Premieres:

"Sleeping Beauty" by Marcia Haydée (her Stuttgart version from 1987, but with new décor by Jordi Roig, not the original one by Jürgen Rose)

"Plateau Effect" by Jefta van Dinther

Triple Bill Alexander Ekman (creation) | Sharon Eyal (creation) | "Sunny" by Emanuel Gat

Triple Bill -  Balanchine: "Theme and Variations", Forsythe: "Second Detail", Richard Siegal: "Oval" (creation)

Sasha Waltz will stage "SYMPHONIE MMXX", her first exclusive creation for the Staatsballett Berlin, with new music by Georg Friedrich Haas

repertoire:

"Giselle" by Patrice Bart

"Jewels"

"La Bayadère" by Alex Ratmansky

"Nutcracker" by Yuri Burlaka/Vasily Medvedev

New to the company: Aya Okumura, who comes from Het Nationale, as Soloist  - I'm sure there will be some more changes

https://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/en/spielplan/01-09-2019/

• Like 4

Leipzig Ballet next season

"Sleeping Beauty" by Jeroen Verbruggen

Double Bill by ballet director and chief choreographer Mario Schröder: "Blühende Landschaft" (Blossoming Landscape) and a creation to Henryk Mikolay Górecki’s Third Symphony

Triple Bill: "Uneven" by Cayetano Soto / "Second Symphony" (Robert Schumann) by Uwe Scholz / Creation by Mario Schröder to Aaron Copland’s Clarinet Concerto

Triple Bill: "Flesh" by Iván Pérez / "See Blue Through" by Didy Veldman / "America" by Martin Harriague

https://www.oper-leipzig.de/en/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angela said:

Next season at Staatsballett Berlin: Sasha Waltz and Johannes Öhman presented the program of the first season under their joint artistic directorship at the Staatsballett Berlin.

Premieres:

"Sleeping Beauty" by Marcia Haydée (her Stuttgart version from 1987, but with new décor by Jordi Roig, not the original one by Jürgen Rose)

"Plateau Effect" by Jefta van Dinther

Triple Bill Alexander Ekman (creation) | Sharon Eyal (creation) | "Sunny" by Emanuel Gat

Triple Bill -  Balanchine: "Theme and Variations", Forsythe: "Second Detail", Richard Siegal: "Oval" (creation)

Sasha Waltz will stage "SYMPHONIE MMXX", her first exclusive creation for the Staatsballett Berlin, with new music by Georg Friedrich Haas

repertoire:

"Giselle" by Patrice Bart

"Jewels"

"La Bayadère" by Alex Ratmansky

"Nutcracker" by Yuri Burlaka/Vasily Medvedev

New to the company: Aya Okumura, who comes from Het Nationale, as Soloist  - I'm sure there will be some more changes

https://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/en/spielplan/01-09-2019/

I think that’s a good mix...and they’ll be getting their money out their new (2018/19) productions. But, I’ll have to wait another year to see if they’ll ever celebrate the MacMillan era with a triple bill featuring Concerto and the original one-act Anastasia. I think they’d do My Brother, My Sisters well...failing that Elite Syncopations. I can but dream ...

Edited by Vanartus
Omission

Demis Volpi, former house choreographer at Stuttgart Ballet, will follow Martin Schläpfer as Director of Ballet on the Rhine in Düsseldorf/Duisburg. He will begin with the 2020/2021 season. Volpi was born in Argentina, he trained at Canada's National Ballet School and the John Cranko School and started his career at Stuttgart Ballet, where he choreographed a very, VERY successful version of the book "Krabat" by Otfried Preußler and a less successful "Salome".

Schläpfer is leaving for Vienna after next season.

https://www.operamrhein.de/en_EN/magazin_demisvolpi

Edited by Angela
forgot the link
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I know how the Scots-born choreographer spelled his name, but I can assure you that the Clan MacMillan Society is none too rigorous regarding the spellings that it will countenance.  232 documented spellings are listed here, my own amongst them.

Ian, it's just that I think anybody who works at a ballet company should know how to spell the names of the former directors correctly, even if they worked there a long time ago.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Darlex said:

It seems that nobody took Remus Suchema's appointment very seriously then?

He is still ballet director until 2024, the newspaper articles about Volpi's appointment say that they are "getting to know each other". Already when Schläpfer announced that he is leaving, the Opera Director at Düsseldorf made it clear that Sucheana will not lead the company alone. It's all a bit confused at the moment, I guess.

Next season at Bavarian State Ballet Munich:  https://www.staatsoper.de/en/19-20/ballet.html

New: Roland Petit's "Coppélia"

A triple bill with Ratmansky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" and a creation by David Dawson (and "a surprise" which Igor Zelensky does not know yet)

"A jour" with contemporary choreographers like Edwaard Liang and Andrey Kaydanovskiy at the Prinzregententheater

Ray Barra's "Swan Lake" comes back (so no more "Illusions like Swan Lake" by Neumeier)

The repertoire continues as last season, but all the Cranko ballets are gone.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

...the “surprise”  - hopefully termination of Polunin’s guest contract! 

(...ouch!)

Somehow, Vanartus, I'm not sure that the season suggests that such is on (at least) these cards given that Polunin danced Petit's Coppelia for Zelenksy at the Stanislavsky.  (In fact he danced it for him with the Company here too in London at the Coliseum.)  I fear it might well be a case of more not less in the wayward one's regard in Munich.  His options I fear may be drawing in.  

I applaud the inclusion of Ratmansky's Pictures at an Exhibition.  It is one of those pieces that the more I see it the  more I like it ... and I very much enjoyed it the first time round.  :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Two new dancers for Bavarian State Ballet: Zachary Catazaro, who was fired from NYCB during the Waterbury case, was hired by Igor Zelensky as guest principal until the end of this season, and Elvis Nudo from Italy, a dancer at La Scala and Mikhailovsky before, joined the company as soloist.

Gabriel Figueredo who made second place at this year's Prix de Lausanne joins Stuttgart Ballet👏👏👏

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Congrats & very happy, this is what I had been hoping for. Much looking forward to seeing him on stage soon.

Happy to see this. He seems to love Stuttgart very much, of course they have a fine school and a fine company of course! 😉

Vienna State Ballet's new season for 2019/2020:  https://issuu.com/wienerstaatsoper/docs/sv_kern_19_20_dramaturgie_low_einze/44

The premieres at the State Opera:

"Jewels" (George Balanchine)

Triple Bill Lukács / Lidberg / Duato:  "Movements to Stravinsky" (András Lukács), "Between Dogs and Wolves" (creation by Pontus Lidberg), "White Darkness" (Nacho Duato)

the premieres at the Volksoper:

"La Piaf" by Mauro Bigonzetti

Triple Bill "Appassionato – Bach und Vivaldi": Creations by Boris Nebyla, Eno Peci, Martin Winter

the company roster is here, no big changes as fare as I can see:  https://issuu.com/wienerstaatsoper/docs/sv_kern_19_20_dramaturgie_low_einze/118

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Angela said:

The first picture of the new "Mayerling" costumes by Jürgen Rose for Stuttgart is online here

Beautiful! It’s probably heretical to say it here but I think the Georgiadis RB designs have had their day and I was very pleased to hear that Juergen Rose would be designing the Stuttgart production. I’ve never seen a design by him that I didn’t love.

• Like 1

Next season at Zurich Ballet is online here

Premieres: The Little Match Girl, choreography by Christian Spuck, music by Helmut Lachenmann (until now, it was produced as an opera, the composer calls it "Music with images")

A Forsythe Evening with Second Detail, Approximate Sonata 2016 and One Flat Thing, Reproduced

Triple Bill with Walking Mad/Johan Inger, Kleines Requiem/Hans van Manen and a third piece

Check out the new company roster here - Igor Zelensky's Munich principals Jonah Cook and Ksenia Ryzhkova are heading for Zurich,  Éléonore Guérineau and Yannick Bittencourt are leaving.

57 minutes ago, Angela said:

Next season at Zurich Ballet is online here

Premieres: The Little Match Girl, choreography by Christian Spuck, music by Helmut Lachenmann (until now, it was produced as an opera, the composer calls it "Music with images")

A Forsythe Evening with Second Detail, Approximate Sonata 2016 and One Flat Thing, Reproduced

Triple Bill with Walking Mad/Johan Inger, Kleines Requiem/Hans van Manen and a third piece

Check out the new company roster here - Igor Zelensky's Munich principals Jonah Cook and Ksenia Ryzhkova are heading for Zurich,  Éléonore Guérineau and Yannick Bittencourt are leaving.

The inaugaural season of  ‘Zurich Dance Theater’  has finally arrived.

Interesting about the new joiners, Ksenia joins as one of many female principals and Jonah Cook only as a Solo.

It's a busy news day over here...

The German Dance Prize 2019 will be awarded to Gert Weigelt, the most famous German dance photographer. He was a dancer with Royal Swedish Ballet, Cullberg Ballet and NDT, as photographer he has accompanied the careers of choreographers like Hans van Manen, Maurice Béjart, Pina Bausch oder Martin Schläpfer, just to name a few.

https://gertweigelt.wordpress.com/

https://www.tanznetz.de/gallery/2748/show

https://www.tanznetz.de/gallery/2116/show

Edited by Angela
forgot one link
  • Like 3

On 02/04/2019 at 14:26, Duck said:

Congrats & very happy, this is what I had been hoping for. Much looking forward to seeing him on stage soon.

I had actually been hoping he came to the Royal..what an asset to any company..such a glorious dancer, beautiful long legs and arched feet. My favourite at this year's Prix.  Definitely a star in the future 🌟

• Like 3

He was outstanding in every school performance that I've seen him in since I moved here in 2016, and he was superb in the role of Tadzio in Death in Venice, too. I found his performance of Chroma at the PdL had the perfect mix of angularity and bendiness, and that made me think of the Royal Ballet, too.

• Like 4

On 05/04/2019 at 23:57, Angela said:

Zurich,  Éléonore Guérineau and Yannick Bittencourt are leaving.

I think both Miss Guérineau and Mr Bittencourt only took a one-year sabbatical from POB. Certainly she has a young child and a husband who stayed in Paris.

Edited by Sophoife
Pressed wrong button