News from Germany, Austria, Switzerland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Such news should only be put on the Forum if it is already in the public domain.

Yes it’s been on Bayerische Staatsballett website public since early yesterday morning that Sergei Polunin will dance Coppélia in Munich on 26 October 2019.  Sadly for his fans, the show was close to sold out beforehand with only some standing tickets and restricted view seats left.  

As I have said before, I do not have inside information on Sergei, just timely insight to public announcements.  

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/staatsballett/translate-to-english-meldungen-ballett/guest-performances-in-201920.html

Edited by FionaE
Add link to news

22 hours ago, capybara said:

By the way, Osiel Gouneo is not injured and will still be appearing in Laurretta Summerscales' Gala in Woking on 10th November.

Interesting.  What’s the story of why he is not performing in Coppelia in Munich?  Maybe not best suited to the role.

• 4 weeks later...

My thoughts on Coppélia in Münich

Saturday 26 October 2019

Sergei Polunin excels in dramatic roles (Mayerling, Spartacus, Manon, Giselle, Marguerite & Armand, Rasputin .....  aa well as the pure classics Swan Lake, La Bayadère, Nutcracker, Don Q, etc)  and so it’s been a wonderful year for me to see other facets to him, including the more romantic carefree young Romeo in Johan Kobborg’s R&J in Verona and now his comedic side in Coppélia.  

And he was very good  - great comic timing and fun interplay with Virna Toppi as Swanilda ... along with his usual commitment to the character and technical virtuosity on show too.  Virna is a new principal at Bayerische Staatsballett joining from La Scala this season.  They were a good partnership as her technique is both secure and accomplished - beautiful lines and arms, turns and jumps, and so she could fully inhabit her role and they could play off each other.  The energy and sheer fun they were having in their roles bounded out to the audience.  Congratulations to Bayerische Staatsballett in bringing this ballet and this partnership together in Munich 👏

Javier Amo as Dr Coppelius was refined and sad as a man just trying to find a woman to love him.  He danced the most wonderful and hilarious waltz with his Coppélia doll (before Swanilda inhabits her).

I loved the Roland Petit version for its simple stage design and limited extras.  Six friends for Swanilda and just 12 couples of townspeople (ladies) and their military partners.  It highlighted for me how cluttered many of the Royal Ballet productions are, with unnecessary extras and invasive stage sets.  We are there for the dance and the story - give them space so we can see it.  My new mantra 😉

A joyous and uplifting evening of wonderful ballet.  As one Munich local alongside me remarked ‘at last a principal dancer to match Sergei’ and ‘we hope he will dance here more often’

• Like 4

Hamburg Ballet has published the cast of John Neumeier's new creation "The Glass Menagerie",  a ballet "freely adapted from the Drama and Life of Tennessee Williams": 

Alina Cojocaru as Laura Wingfield, Patricia Friza as Amanda Wingfield, Félix Paquet as Tom Wingfield, Christopher Evans as Jim O'Connor, Edvin Revazov as Tennessee, David Rodriguez as The Unicorn and Marc Jubete as Malvolio. The premiere is on 1 December.

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/index.php

Edited by Angela
Typo in a name
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

John Neumeier's Beethoven Project premiered in 2018. A performance in Baden Baden in Oct 2019 was recorded and is now available online until Mar 2020.

About the work

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/event.php?AuffNr=159437

Link to video on demand (I hope the link works outside Germany)

https://www.ardmediathek.de/swr/player/Y3JpZDovL3N3ci5kZS9hZXgvbzExODU0MTQ?devicetype=pc%2F

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Duck said:

John Neumeier's Beethoven Project premiered in 2018. A performance in Baden Baden in Oct 2019 was recorded and is now available online until Mar 2020.

About the work

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/event.php?AuffNr=159437

Link to video on demand (I hope the link works outside Germany)

https://www.ardmediathek.de/swr/player/Y3JpZDovL3N3ci5kZS9hZXgvbzExODU0MTQ?devicetype=pc%2F

Thank you .  FYI on demand link is working for me (UK)

After half a year with the company, 19 year old Gabriel Figueredo of Prix de Lausanne fame is cast as Prince Desiré at Stuttgart Ballet at 26. and 31. January. He'll be dancing with Diana Ionescu, who was a Prix de Lausanne winner in 2017.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Angela said:

After half a year with the company, 19 year old Gabriel Figueredo of Prix de Lausanne fame is cast as Prince Desiré at Stuttgart Ballet at 26. and 31. January. He'll be dancing with Diana Ionescu, who was a Prix de Lausanne winner in 2017.

wow

• 4 weeks later...

Next season at Hamburg Ballet is online here - John Neumeier will create Beethoven's 9th Symphony, his Sleeping Beauty will receive a makeover.

Except for some changes in the corps de ballet, no new dancers.

Edited by Angela
the typical German error with the English genitive apostrophe :-(((

19 hours ago, toursenlair said:

I love Neumeier's Sleeping Beauty though. I hope he doesn't mess with it! And the costumes are gorgeous. HOwever, so long as Jurgen Rose is designing the update, it should be ok , I hope.

I have seen it only in video and I not have good memories, I hope I'll change my mind (hoping Neumeier doesn't think to cast the couple pictured in the most used advertising photo...  🤢)

I am very happy that Sylvia is back: I have been waiting for "her" 🙂

Today was the last day of the "Tanzolymp" festival in Berlin. It's a nice event for young dancers, pursuing a career in ballet or not but dancing their hearts out. The jury is quite impressive with lots of former principal dancers.

Iana Salenko danced the "Dying Swan" solo at the closing gala performance.

From the website www.tanzolymp.com: 

"The International Dance Festival TANZOLYMP is held in Berlin on annual basis under the motto “Dance as a global language“ and gives participants the opportunity to meet other young people from all over the world in master classes, seminars and competitions.

The main aim of the Festival is to support and increase the popularity of dancing. Besides an international exchange exploring the different forms of dance aesthetics and artistic styles, the Festival will provide an insight into the spectrum and variety of dancing".

Edited by Sabine0308

After the scandal at Vienna State Opera's ballet academy, where an investigation commission found out that the wellbeing of children was endangered by harsh treatment and where the head of the school, Simona Noja, was removed from her job in December, there’s now a similar incident at the Staatliche Ballettschule Berlin, the State Ballet Academy at Berlin. Following serious allegations from students about bullying by teachers, insults, body shaming and overwork in too many performances, the school management was temporarily dismissed today. Until a commission will clear the allegations, the director of the school, Ralf Stabel, and professor Gregor Seyffert, director of the Junior Company of the school, will be provisionally released from their duties.

This is ongoing for some time already and it's about time that it is investigated. I am sad about the accusations and it's hsrd to believe. I always valued Gregor Seyffert as wonderful and innovative dancer at Komische Oper Berlin and producer of awesome dance projects with his own company. I hope this doesn't cause serious damage for the school and its future. 

• 2 weeks later...

Press conference of Staatsballett Berlin has been cancelled until further notice.  It was set for this Wednesday March 4. Mr  Oehman alone will present the new season to the SBB Friends on Friday, this also was originally set for Wednesday after the press conference.  I am not going since the new program will be online on Friday afternoon. Oehman is leaving anyway, he is not going to announce a new director (haha), and I can read. 🙄

• Like 1

Dresden Semperoper Ballet has just announced the next season - I hope the link works. For the repertoire go here

Premieres:

"Peer Gynt" by Johan Inger

Triple Bill "Playlist" with "Serenade"/Balanchine, "Plot Point"/Crystal Pite and "Playlist (EP)"/Forsythe

new principal: Carlo Di Lanno

guest principals: Maria Kochetkova and Dmitry Semionov

David Dawson will be back als Associate Choreographer (without having a premiere?)

new balletmasters: Sofiane Sylve and Marcelo Gomes

• Like 1

On 08/01/2020 at 13:39, Angela said:

Did you see either of his performances?

3 hours ago, Angela said:

Dresden Semperoper Ballet has just announced the next season - I hope the link works. For the repertoire go here

Premieres:

"Peer Gynt" by Johan Inger

Triple Bill "Playlist" with "Serenade"/Balanchine, "Plot Point"/Crystal Pite and "Playlist (EP)"/Forsythe

new principal: Carlo Di Lanno

guest principals: Maria Kochetkova and Dmitry Semionov

David Dawson will be back als Associate Choreographer (without having a premiere?)

new balletmasters: Sofiane Sylve and Marcelo Gomes

Does that mean Sofiane Sylve is retiring, or will she both dance and teach? I can't imagine her not dancing.....well maybe I just don't want her to stop dancing 😭

Edited by Sharon

10 hours ago, Sharon said:

Did you see either of his performances?

Alas, he was injured! He's still recovering and has not been on stage since January. Ionescu had her debut as Aurora with Friedemann Vogel, she was technically lovely, but a bit uptight and too eager to succeed. Doesn't matter, she'll be a beautiful principal one day.

• Like 1