Casting "Onegin"

Starting a different thread for this one, as I'm hoping for a more international overview.

When looking back at my cast sheets for Onegin at the Royal Ballet at the weekend, I was surprised to note just how many recent Tatianas started off as Olgas and then have "graduated" to Tatiana (apart from Cojocaru, who actually danced both in the same run, which turned out to be rather unfortunate and hasn't been repeated since).

It's happened too, to a slight extent, with the RB's Onegins: Bonelli started off as Lensky, and now Hristov is to make his debut as Onegin after several seasons as Lensky.

I don't remember the same thing happening with London Festival Ballet's admittedly rather more restricted runs, so I'm wondering, is this actually common too with the other companies which perform Onegin, or is it more Royal Ballet-specific? I suppose it must help what you might call "remote casting" if you're already familiar with the dancers.

This happens a fair bit in Stuttgart. Off the top of my head I can name Robert Tewsley, Friedemann Vogel, Evan McKie, Filip Barankiewicz (I think, Angela will be able to correct me and add many more, no doubt) who have danced both Lensky and Onegin. When they were on tour in Costa Mesa California I saw Robert Tewsley dance Lensky on the Friday night and Onegin on the Saturday night :wub: .

In Toronto, Guillaume Cote has danced both roles, and so has Aleksandar Antonijevic. Sonia Rodriguez has been both Olga and Tatiana.

Those are just off the top of my head, as I said.

Richard Cragun apparently did both roles, but I only remember him as Onegin (still my hero). Egon Madsen, the first Lensky, has danced Onegin only once, for his farewell performance at Stuttgart. Paul Chalmer, Wolfgang Stollwitzer, Ivan Cavallari, Tamas Detrich, Roland Vogel and Douglas Lee did both roles, but most of them quit dancing Lensky when they started dancing Onegin, if I remember right.

Alas, Friedemann Vogel has not danced Onegin yet, just the mirror pdd for a gala in New York, but he is the most wonderful Lensky. Some Lenskys never get promoted, like Vladimir Malakhov. Alexander Jones on the other hand skipped the poet and started with Onegin. For the Tatyanas, I have to check...

Friedemann Vogel has also danced the mirror pas de deux as Onegin at World Ballet Festival in Tokyo last summer. (I saw it but I won't comment on that) but as Angela said he has not danced the full performance yet.

For ladies at Stuttgart, a recent example is Hyo-Jung Kang who debuted as Tatiana last October (she was Olga in July), following a guest appearance as Tatiana in Universal Ballet of Korea in 2011 November.

Edited by Naomi M

Here's another query.

When I first started watching ballet and ENB (LFB) were doing Onegin, Onegin always seemed taller than his Lensky. When I saw Stuttgart in Glasgow in around 1989 or 1990 I can remember being very surprised that, on the first night, Lensky was taller than Onegin. (Not on the second evening when Wolfgang Stollwitzer was Onegin). Is there any form of casting protocol in terms of the relative height of the 2 roles?