Star Gala Tel Aviv Opera House Israel Sat 27th May

Gala of the Stars
Tel Aviv Opera House
Sat 27th May

A Protest March nearly scuppered our evening but we eventually reached our venue… no taxis so we power walked… and settled into our seats in the front stalls with seconds to spare!

We were there to watch the wonderful Shale Wagman.  And also Madison Brown, the luminous Polina Semionova and the legendary Kimin Kim. 

There was a mix of Gala favourites and more contemporary works in the programme.
My highlights were : Shale Wagman and Toon Lobach in ‘Dying Swans’  choreo J Nunez  (music Saint-Saens ) , two men supporting and intertwining and balancing and turning ( Wagman …wonderful pirouettes ) in unison.

Polina Semionova and Dmitry Semionova in a gorgeous modern love story Face my Fears 
Choreo Stephen Delattre.. wistful, mournful but full of a yearning desire.

Flames of Paris, a Gala stalwart that never disappoints danced by Brady Farrar and Madison Brown of ABT ... plenty of fireworks there though Farrar’s excellent manege slightly constricted by the relatively small stage here. Brown’s fouttes were snappy and precise, a sheer delight! 

Wagman and Lobach in Goecke’s Hungarian Dance is stunningly strange, with rapid repetitive movements, shivering , twitching but also elegant, in swirling black skirts .

A team of 16 yr old Students from ICE exploded onto the stage in a modern hip hop variation which morphed into chachacha and tango as members of the audience were invited onto the stage including my dear friend who had sat on the end of our row…. I was very entertained watching her slow dancing centre stage when all the other invitees had melted away. A Star is Born ?!!! 

Various modern contemporary works by well regarded choreographers like Sharon Eyal interspersed the classics which were completed by Semionova and Kimin Kim dancing the Diana and Acteon pdd by M Petipa
Choreo, music Pugni from the ballet Esmeralda

This was the finale and the most breathtaking piece of the entire show, Kim appearing to be weightless as he powered so beautifully around the  stage in a magnificent manège, Semionova yielding , feather light, and gorgeous but with plenty of spark to her solos. 

Thank you Tel Aviv, thank you Shale, thank you dancers for a performance to remember!

shalom and lehitraot ( see you later in Hebrew) 

• Like 12