ENB Associates Program

expatballetmom

Hi- Does anyone have experience with the ENB Associates program? DD has received an offer for Mid Associate and just curious what the student experience is like as they said more info would be sent out later regarding the program but would love a heads up! (Any info on class size and levels, class offerings, any performance opportunities?) Much appreciated!

My dd did this for a year, she said the classes were around 12-15, level was appropriate for vocational year 9 as she was then, there are no performance opportunities. She did say the class was very slow, with a lot of talking, it was basically a 2 hour ballet class, they did a little conditioning but not much and not every week.  She did enjoy being there in the studios, so a nice experience.

• Like 1

My daughters been offered a senior associate place I was just re-reading the application pack and I think they have changed the format the classes are going to be 3 1/2 hours and they will be studying the rambert contemporary syllabus on alternate weeks and character on the other weeks. It says they may be performance opportunities in the winter showcase and summer show as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrsgdy said:

My daughters been offered a senior associate place I was just re-reading the application pack and I think they have changed the format the classes are going to be 3 1/2 hours and they will be studying the rambert contemporary syllabus on alternate weeks and character on the other weeks. It says they may be performance opportunities in the winter showcase and summer show as well. 

That sounds good, they've evidently extended the programme. I hope your dd's both enjoy their time there.

• Like 2

I was wondering this too - my 14 year old has an offer of a senior associate place. She is also auditioning at Central although it’s on a train strike day so it’s going to be tricky. Central’s associate programme is all day and includes more (Pilates and pas de deux), does anyone have any experience of them and how they compare - how to choose? I’ve noticed from Instagram announcements that the same girls have offers from RBS, ENBS associates etc so how to make a decision?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betty said:

I was wondering this too - my 14 year old has an offer of a senior associate place. She is also auditioning at Central although it’s on a train strike day so it’s going to be tricky. Central’s associate programme is all day and includes more (Pilates and pas de deux), does anyone have any experience of them and how they compare - how to choose? I’ve noticed from Instagram announcements that the same girls have offers from RBS, ENBS associates etc so how to make a decision?

We are meant to be auditioning at central as well, but I think DD is going to accept the ENBS associates place . I’m now unsure whether we should email to say she’s not attending centrals audition or still go for the audition practice but I worry if she does end up being offered a place there as well and turns it down if it would count against her next year if she applies for their upper course. So hard to know what to do for the best! 

• Like 1

No experience of ENBS as it’s relatively new, however can’t speak highly enough about Central Associates. As previously said, it’s a whole days training plus extra’s at no additional cost. Really can’t fault it! Does anyone know how many ENBS took full time from this year’s Associates?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My daughter was an ENB associate for a year and found the classes rather slow, she definitely got a lot more out of the RBS SA classes. But great if they're now improving the format and offering more. This year only 2 of the associates were offered finals for ENBS and out of those 2 one was put on the reserve list for ENBS. Very different from the number of places that CSB have offered their associates from what I understand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would choose an associate programme  according to what you think the course  might offer you rather than if it will help you get into the associated upper school. It’s not surprising that not many associates get a  ENBS upper school place, any more than with RBS  SA - RBS upper school rate of acceptance . Both of those schools are able  to choose from a wide range of students including many from around the world! 

• Like 5

On 28/05/2023 at 10:21, Mrsgdy said:

We are meant to be auditioning at central as well, but I think DD is going to accept the ENBS associates place . I’m now unsure whether we should email to say she’s not attending centrals audition or still go for the audition practice but I worry if she does end up being offered a place there as well and turns it down if it would count against her next year if she applies for their upper course. So hard to know what to do for the best! 

I really don’t think any school would hold it against you if you didn’t accept a place on an associates. If they like what they see they will give you an offer ! 

• Like 2

My daughter did both RBS and ENB, to be honest she found it slow and not a patch on her SAs class. When she was there there was no extra opportunities with the school and I felt like it wasn’t really worth it, pleased to hear that they have listened to the feedback from parents and starting to offer more. 
I have no experience of the Central associates but have heard from friends that it’s a very good course. 

Many parents feel like they would have to put their children through Associate programs under impression that it stands out on CV or add chance to get to the main school. Well, it does not, and I would bare extra attention whether the program is worth the money and time.
From our experience back in the day with ENBS Juniors where my DD started same as their BBO program in her senior years …it was just too slow that she asked not to continue with it.

• Like 5

I agree. The main purpose should be to supplement regular training especially if your hours are limited . It’s also worthwhile if you’re training in a different method. I think upper schools are only interested in what they see in front of them at auditions -  it’s a bit of a red herring thinking that a dance cv will make much difference and parents shouldn’t feel under pressure like it’s some kind of balletic arms race. Same goes for intensives. 

Edited by Kerfuffle
  • Like 3

I agree I wouldn’t view it as a way to get into the associated vocational school, just as a supplement to existing training. One thing that appeals to me with ENBS now is that it includes some contemporary, something my daughter hasn’t done before, and which I feel will be beneficial. Does anyone know how long ENB associates has been running? I actually thought it was new, but can see that’s not the case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PetitJeté said:

I agree I wouldn’t view it as a way to get into the associated vocational school, just as a supplement to existing training. One thing that appeals to me with ENBS now is that it includes some contemporary, something my daughter hasn’t done before, and which I feel will be beneficial. Does anyone know how long ENB associates has been running? I actually thought it was new, but can see that’s not the case. 

Central also offers Contemporary weekly

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PMum said:

The ENB associates started in September 2021 

The ENBS had junior associates program that my DD attended back in 2011 and parents have been sold this as a somehow feeder to their full time school. We have been also told that the program would move to their new facily where it would merge under ENB with opportunities to come.
Nothing of it was true and they closed the program abruptly when during the last day of the school show the Artistic Director (samira) got up the chair and said there are not re-opening the course after summer and only focusing on primary school children. I guess it emerged back in September 2021 when they need some financial injection with focus on senior students.

Edited by FlexyNexy

52 minutes ago, FlexyNexy said:

The ENBS had junior associates program that my DD attended back in 2011 and parents have been sold this as a somehow feeder to their full time school. We have been also told that the program would move to their new facily where it would merge under ENB with opportunities to come.
Nothing of it was true and they closed the program abruptly when during the last day of the school show the Artistic Director (samira) got up the chair and said there are not re-opening the course after summer and only focusing on primary school children. I guess it emerged back in September 2021 when they need some financial injection with focus on senior students.

That makes sense @FlexyNexy, especially as I believe there was a ‘pre-application’ sifting via video. Thankfully my DD is averse to anything that involves videos otherwise it would basically have been a £35 or so application fee with no guarantee you’d be able to audition or be seen in person. I’m not sure how many applied and how many they invited to audition in person. However, I did see from a number of social media posts that some of those offered places were already in full time vocational school anyway. I know there are mixed opinions on full time students attending associates schemes but this is another example of that.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

That makes sense @FlexyNexy, especially as I believe there was a ‘pre-application’ sifting via video. Thankfully my DD is averse to anything that involves videos otherwise it would basically have been a £35 or so application fee with no guarantee you’d be able to audition or be seen in person. I’m not sure how many applied and how many they invited to audition in person. However, I did see from a number of social media posts that some of those offered places were already in full time vocational school anyway. I know there are mixed opinions on full time students attending associates schemes but this is another example of that.

DD said there were 34 at senior finals, I believe the application video was the same as the one they use for the upper school application. 
there were some vocational girls as well as current associates from RBS and Central. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BattementBatty said:

We are still struggling to make a decision.  I wish ENB would send some information out.  I haven't been filled with confidence with the comments about ENB on this thread but I appreciate that this was a while ago.

Hi,

My DD decided on ENBS she’s currently year 10 and would like to audition there so she thought it would hopefully give her an insight. 
I wish they would send the info out so we have some idea though. I am hoping with the increased hours it is going to be better than peoples previous experiences she really enjoyed the audition.

• Like 1

My DD has friends who are ENB associates and they love it there. I would not be put off by accounts of how it was several years ago. The associates also had an advantage of not having to make the initial video to get through to the preliminary audition. My DD did the summer school two years ago and loved it - she is starting there full time this September. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...