ROH 23/24 and other cinema seasons

Guest oncnp

Guest oncnp

Scroll down

The Royal Opera House's upcoming Cinema Season will comprise an astonishing 13 productions, eight of which will be broadcast to screens across the globe. Audiences have the best seat in the house – sharing the joy of live performance, and the beauty of world class art, at cinemas in more than 50 countries around the world. Booking opens soon. Check the website of your local cinema to purchase tickets.

https://www.roh.org.uk/about/cinema

Winter's Tale in UK only

Edited by oncnp

5 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Winter's Tale in UK only

As is this

MacMillan Celebrated

The Royal Ballet

The Royal Ballet celebrates the breadth of Principal Choreographer Kenneth MacMillan’s one-act ballets, Danses Concertantes, Different Drummer and Requiem.

Live in cinemas: Tuesday 9 April 2024, 7.15pm BST
Encores from: Sunday 14 April 2024, 2pm BST

(Available to watch in the UK only)

Odd. Some sort of 'rights' issue?

• Thanks 1

Quite interesting, I don’t know why we shave MacMillan Celebrated but I would think that at least one of the Ashton bills would be streamed, at least in the uk only? And there’s only 6 ballets and 2 of them exclusively in the Uk. 

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

The schedule

DON QUIXOTE

·        Live in cinemas: Tuesday 7 November 2023, 7.15pm GMT

·        Encores from: Sunday 12 November 2023, 2pm GMT

THE NUTCRACKER

·        Live in cinemas: Tuesday 12 December 2023, 7.15pm GMT

·        Encores from: Sunday 17 December 2023, 2pm GMT

MANON

·        Live in cinemas: Wednesday 7 February 2024, 7.15pm GMT

·        Encores from: Sunday 11 February 2024, 2pm GMT

MACMILLAN CELEBRATED (UK only)

·        Live in cinemas: Tuesday 9 April 2024, 7.15pm BST

·        Encores from: Sunday 14 April 2024, 2pm BST

SWAN LAKE

·        Live in cinemas: Wednesday 24 April 2024, 7.15pm BST

·        Encores from: Sunday 28 April 2024, 2pm BST

THE WINTER'S TALE (UK only)

·        Live in cinemas: Wednesday 22 May 2024, 7.15pm BST

·        Encores from: Sunday 26 May 2024, 2pm BST

Disappointing we're getting 2 Macmillan programmes at the cinema and possibly a 3rd showing of Winter's Tale, but none of the Ashton, especially as it would be a great way to launch the 5 year celebrations. Hopefully some of them will be streamed but given we haven't had last years triple yet it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Disappointing we're getting 2 Macmillan programmes at the cinema and possibly a 3rd showing of Winter's Tale, but none of the Ashton, especially as it would be a great way to launch the 5 year celebrations. Hopefully some of them will be streamed but given we haven't had last years triple yet it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. 

Can anyone clarify if the confused / confusing rights situation with the Ashton repertoire is somehow connected? Could it be that, rather like Onegin, there are restrictions placed by some rights owners when it comes to recordings? 

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Can anyone clarify if the confused / confusing rights situation with the Ashton repertoire is somehow connected? Could it be that, rather like Onegin, there are restrictions placed by some rights owners when it comes to recordings? 

This isn’t the first time that this question has arisen.
If anyone is placing restrictions on Ashton recordings (or, perhaps, asking for too much money in that regard) they are extremely misguided.
Surely someone who has been bequeathed the rights to a ballet would want ‘their’ choreographer’s works to be seen and appreciated by ‘new’ generations?

• Like 8

The other day I had no problems getting into the Vue Cinema booking sites for tomorrow (28th May). Now, The Sleeping Beauty won't come up.

Of course, the telephone and chat lines can't cope with answering a simple question about booking. Does anyone know whether Vue has cancelled its 'encore' showings?

It could be one of those weird “in the moment” glitches! You try again later and it’s fine!  
A bit like when I bought a ticket to Norwich very recently and was told at the station that there would be no direct Thameslink from Brighton to Farringdon ( where need to change) and would also have to change at East Croydon ( always a nightmare) This was after I’d previously checked at home first and through trains were showing.
I just thought okay must have changed since I’d looked. Went home and looked up again on my phone  (now a week later)and it’s showing a through train!! So I checked at the station again and sure enough there is one. But when I had bought the ticket at the station the man was very adamant I’d have to change at East Croydon as well! 
I can only assume that when he was booking the ticket there was some weird computer glitch at the time 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope you manage to get a ticket. 
Here in Brighton it’s a different arty  cinema showing the original livestream and the encore on the Sunday. If a friend hadn’t told me ( who is a member of all these cinemas)  I would have just thought the encore wasn’t being shown!! 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2023 at 15:41, capybara said:

The other day I had no problems getting into the Vue Cinema booking sites for tomorrow (28th May). Now, The Sleeping Beauty won't come up.

Of course, the telephone and chat lines can't cope with answering a simple question about booking. Does anyone know whether Vue has cancelled its 'encore' showings?

I had that happen at a Vue locally once … no one booked online so they cancelled the showing.  I turned up to buy a ticket in person on the day and then had to speed to another Vue 20 minutes drive away.  

Lesson learned … book online in advance, they can’t cancel even if only one person has booked (I hope) 

• Like 1

Interesting to see that the cinema season also includes Message in a Bottle (Kate Prince / Sting) from Sadler's Wells to be broadcast in in May 2024.   I suppose this is similar to NT Live showing productions from theatres other than the National Theatre, which it does from time to time.  Message in a Bottle returns to the Peacock in October 2023. 

https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/message-in-a-bottle-2023/

It's not clear whether they will be showing a recording from 2023 in 2024 or if there is another run scheduled for 2024.  It's described as a "special screening" which might indicate not live. 

Hope they will have the Ashton recorded somehow- perhaps for tv broadcast on either BBC or Sky Arts and the rights/programme sold for tv broadcast abroad. They could choose a selection from the two programmes being scheduled; it doesn’t have to be everything from just one performance. I think there would be a lot of interest, especially in regions  where Ashton ballets (or even just ballets) aren’t performed often. And of course, it would be fantastic if they released it on DVD (as well as the delayed 2022 Ashton triple bill!) 

Am glad that at least the MacMillan triple bill will be relayed. Wonder if the “U.K. Only” scheduling is due to international cinema companies not being sure if those ballets will sell enough tickets. (Personally, I think I would find it easier to market The Winter’s Tale than Manon, because of the Shakespeare connection and the lower age guidance, but I presume they have their sales stats and their reasons!) 

On 30/05/2023 at 06:47, Lynette H said:

Interesting to see that the cinema season also includes Message in a Bottle (Kate Prince / Sting) from Sadler's Wells to be broadcast in in May 2024.   I suppose this is similar to NT Live showing productions from theatres other than the National Theatre, which it does from time to time.  Message in a Bottle returns to the Peacock in October 2023. 

https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/message-in-a-bottle-2023/

It's not clear whether they will be showing a recording from 2023 in 2024 or if there is another run scheduled for 2024.  It's described as a "special screening" which might indicate not live. 

I will definitely tune in but sounds about random? Doesn’t it? If there was anything out of the Royal Opera Houses main seasons I would think they would stream Carlos Acosta at 50 or The Australian Ballet gala? Maybe in future years? Not critiquing this choice by the way.

Also I assume that the uk only livestreams will we be streamed internationally on ROH stream? I understand why the aren’t showing them worldwide in cinemas, but international audiences would probably still want to watch them and with this they could get the chance.

• 6 months later...

I've just had email notification that Dutch National Ballet's Giselle is being shown in cinemas, February 2024 on the notification I have, I don't know if this is livestreamed or filmed. Worth looking out for this!

Olga Smirnova and Jacopo Tissi

"Giselle touches upon great and universal romantic themes. Rachel Beaujean and Ricardo Bustamante’s acclaimed production pay tribute to one of the oldest and greatest works of classical dance."

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/dutch-national-ballet/2023-2024/giselle/giselle-x-pathe-live

This (with trailer) says Jan 21st so it's clearly not the same date in all cinemas.

https://www.giselleballetcinema.com/

Edited by Ondine
  • Thanks 2

• alison changed the title to ROH 23/24 and other cinema seasons
5 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

It’s criminal that they chop off the end in that clip, though!

That was my thought exactly,  Balletfanp and I was just going to say so when I noticed your comment.  Vadim's realisation of her death and his silent scream is the most emotional part of the ballet and should have told me he could indeed be as great a Mayerling as he undoubtedly was. I don't know how any dancers can perform that pas de deux right at the end of such a long, taxing, emotional ballet. Just shows their incredible mental and physical toughness. Have booked for both of Vadim's 2 performances and Frankies 2 performances and really looking forward to them.

• Like 4

Though the live stream and Sunday's 'Encore' screenings are ended, a number of cinemas now showing 'extra' ROH Nutcracker screenings' so it's worth adding your location and getting the list if you have a yearning for a viewing.

I note Keswick Alhambra is showing Nutcracker January 1st if you're in the NW. 

Enjoy the clip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sovereign Film Distribution’s upcoming release, the Russian film

Tchaikovsky's Wife by award-winning film and theatre director Kirill Serebrennikov.
The film was premiered at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival in the Official Competition, and it will be released in UK cinemas from 29 December 2023.
The film tells the story of the composer's unwanted marriage and his tumultuous relationship with his wife Antonina Miliukova and will be shown in selected cinemas including ICA in London, Mac Birmingham, Stamford Arts Centre, Cine Lumiere and more venues to be confirmed.

You can find pictures and video assets at this link, additionally the official trailer is on youtube here.

A full list of screenings and links to book tickets is available on their website: https://www.sovereignfilms.co.uk/tchaikovskyswife

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've just seen something odd about the Live Screenings on the ROH website.  I went to check the date of the Manon screening, put in my postcode....and found the only one close to me was in Leicester Square.  Took out the postcode, put in London, and got the choice of about 6 -  one in Leicester Square, 4 I've never heard of, and would have to look up,  and one in Dagenham.  

Eh?  Went and checked the website for 2 cinemas that I normally go to, and Manon is definitely listed on their websites.  

42 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I've just seen something odd about the Live Screenings on the ROH website.  I went to check the date of the Manon screening, put in my postcode....and found the only one close to me was in Leicester Square.  Took out the postcode, put in London, and got the choice of about 6 -  one in Leicester Square, 4 I've never heard of, and would have to look up,  and one in Dagenham.  

Eh?  Went and checked the website for 2 cinemas that I normally go to, and Manon is definitely listed on their websites.  

I never use that ROH info because I've found in the past that it doesn't necessarily show venues where I know a live screening is happening. So I just go straight to the websites for the venue/s.

Edited by bridiem

19 hours ago, Fonty said:

This has happened to me. According to the ROH website, the cinema I go to was not showing Don Q. However, when I checked on Cineworld's website it was!  I now just check on the actual cinema website and don't bother with the ROH cinema screening venues one.

Edited by Linnzi5
  • Like 1