VADIM MUNTAGIROV AUTOBIOGRAPHY

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the London Ballet Circle interview and book-signing event with Vadim on Tuesday 13 June at the RB Upper School is now open for non-members to attend.  

Those attending may also pre-order up to 2 books in advance to pick up after the interview, and then queue for signing ✍️ 

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/vadim-muntagirov-book-event

There is also a ZOOM option to watch and listen for those who cannot attend in-person.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Vadim's talk at the Royal Ballet School,  hosted by the London Ballet Circle last night. There was a large and appreciative audience, many of them buying his book to be signed. Lovely seeing several friends including Balletfanp. He was expertly guided through his story by Deborah Weiss, being sent to a very strict Ballet boarding school at Petm aged 10, then coming to the RB upper school (recommended by Sergei Polunin) after his Lausanne scholarship silver medal  and not knowing a word of English. The difference in physical training, but also learning about different aspects of dance and fitness, such as contemporary dance, improvisation and pilates which were new to him. It was a fascinating talk and over far too quickly. There was certainly scope for a further talk, perhaps focusing on later in his career, his partnerships, special roles and international guesting. I've dipped into the book and it looks a fascinating read. He doesn't hold back or shy away from when things were difficult.  He concluded by making a heartfelt speech thanking his audience who support him on the stage and elsewhere and who have made him so welcome in England  'my second home'. He says they make all the hard work, worthwhile. A lovely ending to a great evening. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

On 29/05/2023 at 16:19, Balletfanp said:

I thought I would give my impressions for anyone who is interested, or who might be dithering over whether to buy - I highly recommend it!

It’s a very easy read - and I mean that in the most complimentary sense. It’s engaging from the start and once started, I wanted to keep reading. Vadim’s personality and thoughts, his modesty and complete honesty come through very strongly, and it feels like him speaking.

The Foreword explains how the book came about and there is a very touching dedication to his father along with an account of his Dad’s importance and status in Russian ballet - a very distinguished gentleman!

There is a detailed account of his very happy childhood, with some delightful photos of Vadim as a baby and a child. He describes himself at one point as a “naughty child” (Vadim, naughty??), but in reality he just sounds like he was a typically mischievous boy! Accounts of life in Chelyabinsk, but more so, holidays at the family dacha (which his Instagram followers will be familiar with following his visit back there in 2021) with his extended family set the scene for the rest of the book. It’s interesting to hear later on that two ballets in which his performances have been particularly lauded (“Winter Dreams” and “Month in the Country”) really resonated with him because they took him right back ‘home’ to life in the dacha.

This idyllic childhood contrasts sharply with the harsh regime when he went to Perm. Some of this makes very sad reading - my heart was breaking in parts, not just for Vadim but for all the children there who experienced this.

Once he gets to London, his account of life at the RBS and his subsequent professional career makes absorbing reading, with plenty of insights into roles, partnering and his own performances (he’s very hard on himself!).

An account of some nasty online harrassment for which he was on the receiving end makes sobering reading, but it really highlights how little protection there currently is from these things, either from the social media organisations, the police, or the law. Very unsettling.

General things I liked about the book - I liked that the photos are all interspersed in the text where they are relevant. I find books where all the photos are grouped in the middle very annoying when a reference is made to one of them and you have to go hunting for it!

There are QR codes scattered throughout the book that link to his relevant Instagram posts. I think this is a great idea, although those without the facility to scan the codes might not be so keen - but they can all be seen anyway on Vadim’s Instagram account!

Overall, the book is a fascinating read and a real insight into one of the world’s top dancers who also happens to be a delightful person.

I've just finished the book and I completely agree with you, Balletfanp. A fascinating read at every stage and a real insight into the development of and working life of a star dancer. I couldn't put it down! Wonderful.

• Like 3

On 15/06/2023 at 07:38, Balletfanp said:

It was a wonderful evening, I think everyone could have listened to him all night! Humble, honest, funny and the thank you speech at the end was just so lovely! Great to see you there too @jmhopton.

Some photos of the evening at The London Ballet Circle and some comments on that and the book are now on Vadim's IG feed: https://www.instagram.com/p/CtlifnEMLnZ/ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, alison said:

It was being recorded, I assume, since it was being Zoomed.

Recordings are usually available to LBC members within a few weeks, sometimes sooner.  

Edited by FionaE

• 3 months later...

My LBC newsletter has said that there is a book signing after the Don Quixote matinee on October 14th. This will take place in the Linbury Theatre lobby from 4.00-5.30pm. Thanks for the heads up!

37 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Now Official Royal Opera House (@royaloperahouse) • Instagram photos and videos

14 Oct 4pm in the Linbury Foyer.

The ROH reel shows Vadim signing just his name in Russian. However, when he came to The London Ballet Circle in June (see above), he was happy to write dedications as well on request and I'm pretty sure that he would do the same on Saturday, with a photo opportunity if there is time.  Especially nice if the book is to be given as a (Christmas) present.

This is the blurb which was sent out to ROH Friends last week:

Join us next Saturday 14 October for a book signing with principal dancer Vadim Muntagirov! We will be selling his new book From Small Steps to Big Leaps in the Paul Hamlyn Hall before the signing at 4pm in the Linbury Foyer. The autobiography has already earned rave reviews from fans and is a highly recommended read, providing a rare insight into Vadim’s personal journey and successes within the Royal Ballet.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, capybara said:

The ROH reel shows Vadim signing just his name in Russian. However, when he came to The London Ballet Circle in June (see above), he was happy to write dedications as well on request and I'm pretty sure that he would do the same on Saturday, with a photo opportunity if there is time.  Especially nice if the book is to be given as a (Christmas) present.

This is the blurb which was sent out to ROH Friends last week:

Join us next Saturday 14 October for a book signing with principal dancer Vadim Muntagirov! We will be selling his new book From Small Steps to Big Leaps in the Paul Hamlyn Hall before the signing at 4pm in the Linbury Foyer. The autobiography has already earned rave reviews from fans and is a highly recommended read, providing a rare insight into Vadim’s personal journey and successes within the Royal Ballet.

Thank you. I seem to have fallen off the Friends mailing list, again

I have asked the people who are i/c this event at the ROH and entry to the Linbury Foyer will be for people who have a copy of Vadim's book with them.

However, it doesn't matter where or when the book was purchased. So everyone who wants a signature (plus a photo with Vadim if time allows) will be welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

On social media this AM - a book signing event (jointly with Nuñez) is in the works. Date to be announced ("very soon") but I believe he is Nutcracker-ing in Kazakhstan (with Kaneko) next week so presumably after that?

Edited by oncnp

The 'joint signing' at the ROH - presumably Vadim of his autobiography and Marianela of her photo collection - has been confirmed on the ROH's IG feed for 1.30 - 4.00pm this coming Monday, 18th December.

A lovely opportunity to see both of them in close up and have a word without the usual squash at the Stage Door!

[Sorry - I don't know how to copy and paste links to Instagram.]

• Like 3