• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I anticipate that Forum Members will have something to say about the number of performances allocated to each ballet on the Main Stage"

Swan Lake, Nutcracker?

Money spinners.  I bet also cinema relays.

Edited by Ondine

30 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Thinking about the timing of those Ashton bills and the Sarasota visit: together with the RB and ENB (Albert Hall version) Swan Lakes, June is looking very congested. If NYCB are visiting then as well scheduling everything I want to see could look very tricky!

Are NYCB visiting?

11 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I anticipate that Forum Members will have something to say about the number of performances allocated to each ballet on the Main Stage:

Don Quixote:          17

Anemoi/Cellist:        7

The Dante Project:  8

The Nutcracker:     28 (including 3 not for general public) 

Manon:                    17

Swan Lake:             30 (including 1 not for general public)   ..is this a record? 

MacMillan Triple:      6

The Winter’s Tale:    11

Ashton Triple “A”:      5

Ashton Triple “B”:      5

During COVID lockdowns there was an article that stated that a big percentage of their yearly earnings comes from Nutcracker season. I don't begrudge them The Nutcracker if it keeps the company running.

• Like 6

May be an expensive season for me, especially as all of the UK companies seem to have more than one thing I want to see, which is rare. I definitely want to see Nunez and Osipova in DonQ as not sure they'll be another opportunity. I adore the MacMillan 3 so happy to have them rotating every year, and they do usually sell well so I can't be the only one! Very excited for several Manons, especially Kaneko and Naghdi, very possibly Magri and O'Sullivan too. Probably attend Nutcracker and a few Swan Lakes, be interesting to see how last time's debuts are developing. And the mixed bills too; do think it's a bit of a cheat to have The Dream and Rhapsody in both Asthton's though... might just pick one. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ellyb said:

May I ask why people dislike Different Drummer? I've not seen it and can't find any videos...

I am fine with it (probably wouldn’t watch it three times though) and I only saw it once years ago, with Alessandra Ferri (MacMillan’s original Marie) so wouldn’t mind seeing it again out of curiosity. It has been revived before but I wasn’t able to go.

I can’t speak for others as to why they don’t like it, but the ballet is based on the play Woyzeck (similar to the opera Wozzeck, and some similarities with Akram Khan’s Creature), which is a bleak story about a soldier being mistreated or betrayed by everyone- his adulterous lover, the army doctor experimenting on him, etc.....sad ending, definitely not a romantic, pretty nor uplifting show!  

• Like 2

Yes I think it's its bleakness is the problem...

“It is not an easy ballet”, The Guardian’s critic Mary Clarke said of Different Drummer “but it should be seen especially by people who think ballet is just Swan Lake”.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Well - my interest is very heavily weighted towards the end of the season.

Me too Lizbie!

Am beyond excited that Sarasota Ballet are actually coming and bringing such a great Ashton programme with them. A lot of what they're doing featured in their lockdown livestream recordings and are terrific. Especially pleased with Facade as I can't remember the last time it was staged here and I don't know if I've ever seen Les Rendezvous at a theatre. Was disappointed that ENB didn't stream their student performance last year which featured it. I love Walk in a Paradise Garden as well. When I emailed Iain Webb asking if they could come he said they would need to be invited, so thank you Kevin O'Hare for inviting Sarasota and having such a great start to 5 years of Ashton celebrations. As the song goes 'Who could ask for anything more'??!! Of course am disappointed about Fille, but hopefully a prolonged Ashton celebration means that Fille will be programmed next year. Would be good for other UK Companies to get involved too like they did with the Macmillan celebrations a few years ago. Dare we hope for a repeat visit by Sarasota? Would be great to see them more often and possibly bring Kobborg's Sylphide as well so we'll be able to see the wonderful Danish sets and costumes. Also the full length David Bintley, Comedy of Errors would be wonderful to see as well as more Ashton of course. Like others I am slightly disappointed Rhapsody is programmed again so soon but understand it is part of the Rachmaninov celebrations as well as Ashton. And it is a fabulous ballet. Am keeping everything crossed for Vadim as Oberon as I don't know if he's danced it before. He was in Symphonic variations (I think) when it was programmed last. Also it would be great if one of the Ashton programmes were filmed for cinema and the other ones/s streamed both for all us devoted Astonians and to raise awareness of Ashton as a genius choreographer and the UKs founder choreographer (as well as the RBs).

Like others, I'm hugely disappointed with no Onegin (hopefully next year) and no Jerome Robbins (would love to see Dances at a Gathering again) and others I've not seen. Look forward to seeing Don Q (though prefer BRBs production). Am not really interested in Winter's Tale or Dante (returning too soon ), though might see one performance of Dante just to see if I missed anything by not liking the recording. Am pleased to see Manon with some new principals. Would have liked to see something at Christmas to offset the inevitable Nutcracker. Seems a shame to just have the one programme. They used to programme a triple at the same time which would have been good but obviously don't want to distract the paying public by having alternatives to what is probably a hugely expensive Christmas ballet evening.

Anyway, on the whole am happier than I thought I would be this time yesterday. Roll on next summer. Can't come soon enough!! Must start saving now as I intend to attend every Ashton performance!!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jane S said:

No designer listed for Les Rendezvous, so maybe they've ditched the polka dots?

That was BRB's design, wasn't it?  I really hated those costumes, the male ones reminded me of Dick Van Dyke dancing with penguins in Mary Poppins, and who thought cladding the women in marigold washing up gloves was a good idea?  And don't get me started on the new scenery with what looked like a row of plastic trees and a huge gob stopper of a sun in the background.  

However, I am delighted with the triple bills.  I don't know Different Drummer, I've never seen it.  

• Like 1

One female choreographer only in the main house ?  

I think Kevin O'Hare should make an effort, we are in 2023...

And not a single creation ?

I must say that I think it might be good for The Royal Ballet to think about having a new director, someone with fresh ideas and vision...  

• Like 1

So....not to alarm anyone, but to echo Iain Webb in the article above, first I was excited [very excited!] then I was a little concerned. 

The website is saying that Sarasota Ballet’s company performances (ie excluding the Walk to Paradise Garden pas de deux) are going to be in the Linbury Theatre on 4-9 June. They haven’t stipulated how many matinees or how many performances they are doing per day, but unless they are doing at least two shows every single day, ie 12 performances at least (sounds exhausting)......I’m not sure that will be enough tickets for the number of fans who will want to see them. Linbury only has a seating capacity of 394 (cf ROH Main Stage seating capacity of 2256). There is currently no confirmation regarding how many shows a day or in total.

(The RB’s Ashton mixed bills and the Royal Opera’s Andrea Chenier will be on the Main Stage that week).

Even considering that the first week of June that falls after late May Bank Holiday Monday is often a quiet week for theatre ticket sales, I still suspect they maybe heavily oversubscribed. Hope they will keep some tickets back so they aren’t all gone before general booking opens (or even regular Friends booking?!) 

I can only advise members not to leave it too late to book. Wonder if they will limit everyone to 2 tickets maximum? I hope no members will end up being unable to get a ticket having waited so very long for Sarasota Ballet to come.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I am fine with it (probably wouldn’t watch it three times though) and I only saw it once years ago, with Alessandra Ferri (MacMillan’s original Marie) so wouldn’t mind seeing it again out of curiosity. It has been revived before but I wasn’t able to go.

I can’t speak for others as to why they don’t like it, but the ballet is based on the play Woyzeck (similar to the opera Wozzeck, and some similarities with Akram Khan’s Creature), which is a bleak story about a soldier being mistreated or betrayed by everyone- his adulterous lover, the army doctor experimenting on him, etc.....sad ending, definitely not a romantic, pretty nor uplifting show!  

8 minutes ago, Ondine said:

“It is not an easy ballet”, The Guardian’s critic Mary Clarke said of Different Drummer “but it should be seen especially by people who think ballet is just Swan Lake”.

Thank you - my two favourite ballets are probably Manon and Mayerling so hopefully I won't find it too horrible!

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Forgot to add, FionaE- hope Vadim Muntagirov will be cast as Florizel still (well, he can dance both, I won’t object!) as he has the virtuosity for the role of Florizel (and like Gartside & Nunez, I couldn’t see him last time too). 

Vadim surely needs to be Leontes now and knock it out of the park as he did Rudolf?

Although he was a super nifty Florizel, 

it was made for a Steven McRae
style of dancer and the RB now has numerous nifty young blades who are no doubt eyeing that role.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ellyb said:

Thank you - my two favourite ballets are probably Manon and Mayerling so hopefully I won't find it too horrible!

I was ok with it years ago - the negative bits are portrayed in quite an abstract manner compared to eg, Mayerling, Judas Tree or Creature, although the dancer in the lead role of Wozzeck (I saw the brilliant Stephen Jeffries) will show it in his expression and emotions. Definitely if you are okay with Mayerling, which is a full length bleak story, you’ll probably be okay with Different Drummer. 😊 It’s presented with 2 ballets that are more cheery (Danses Concertantes) and uplifting (Requiem) respectively, so a nice balance. 👍

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I find this an odd, perhaps snobbish, thing to say. Surely the fundamental problem with Different Drummer is that people  didn't like it (granted the bleakness may have a lot to do with that). Wouldn't most "people who think ballet is just Swan Lake" just be put off trying anything different again?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MAX said:

One female choreographer only in the main house ?  

I think Kevin O'Hare should make an effort, we are in 2023...

And not a single creation ?

I must say that I think it might be good for The Royal Ballet to think about having a new director, someone with fresh ideas and vision...  

There's a festival of new choreography in Feb 2024.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I was ok with it years ago - the negative bits are portrayed in quite an abstract manner compared to eg, Mayerling, Judas Tree or Creature, although the dancer in the lead role of Wozzeck (I saw the brilliant Stephen Jeffries) will show it in his expression and emotions. Definitely if you are okay with Mayerling, which is a full length bleak story, you’ll probably be okay with Different Drummer. 😊 It’s presented with 2 ballets that are more cheery (Danses Concertantes) and uplifting (Requiem) respectively, so a nice balance. 👍

I'll give it a go I think - I do seem to have quite the taste for tragedy to I should be ok, I've often worried what that says about me 😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

Vadim surely needs to be Leontes now and knock it out of the park as he did Rudolf?

Although he was a super nifty Florizel, 

it was made for a Steven McRae
style of dancer and the RB now has numerous nifty young blades who are no doubt eyeing that role.

I just shouldn’t have missed it. Sigh. Oh well....

Wonder how many casts they are going to have. It’s true they also have lots of young men who would  be excellent Florizels. Can’t have them doing just one show each-not enough performances for all the talented dancers they have. The role of Clown also has virtuosity (and humour) in it, so another opportunity for their young men to shine there. 

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I find this an odd, perhaps snobbish, thing to say. Surely the fundamental problem with Different Drummer is that people  didn't like it (granted the bleakness may have a lot to do with that). 

Exactly; it's irritating when the assumption is that something is disliked because it's bleak rather than because it's bad. Mayerling isn't exactly a laugh a minute and I love that after all (and ditto a lot of other ballets e.g. Las Hermanas springs to mind). But it's a long time since I've seen DD so I will try and approach it with an open mind - maybe I will like it more this time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

I don't think anyone has noticed that Frankie will be performing  in the autumn, after all  - in the Linbury with Alex, in Krsiten McKnally's The Limit (Oct 20-28). Hannah Rudd and Jacob Wye are the alternative cast.

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

I don't think anyone has noticed that Frankie will be performing  in the autumn, after all  - in the Linbury with Alex, in Krsiten McKnally's The Limit (Oct 20-28). Hannah Rudd and Jacob Wye are the alternative cast.

Yes I'd noticed, the only dancer to get a casting name check in the pr (and Alex Campbell as her partner).

• Like 3

From another Mary Clarke review:  😉

Following the 1974 premiere, critic Mary Clarke summed up the ballet’s plot in the Guardian:

“Basically, Manon is a slut and Des Grieux is a fool and they move in the most unsavoury company.”

• Like 3

In my view totally ridiculous to put the Sarasota ballet in the Linbury would rather have seen them at the Wells if main stage couldn’t accommodate! 
I can’t see many tickets being left for the General public except ones with poor views! 
I think Northern Ballet has an excellent programme in the Autumn will definitely be there for that! Also both the Macmillan triple and Ashton triples are good ones. 
Absolutely all the others will only go if certain dancers ( some not seen before in roles) are cast. Looks like apart from seeing Northern won’t be at ROH much in the Autumn not even for Don Q! 
Well not unless Corrales is dancing at least once!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

So....not to alarm anyone, but to echo Iain Webb in the article above, first I was excited [very excited!] then I was a little concerned. 

The website is saying that Sarasota Ballet’s company performances (ie excluding the Walk to Paradise Garden pas de deux) are going to be in the Linbury Theatre on 4-9 June. They haven’t stipulated how many matinees or how many performances they are doing per day, but unless they are doing at least two shows every single day, ie 12 performances at least (sounds exhausting)......I’m not sure that will be enough tickets for the number of fans who will want to see them. Linbury only has a seating capacity of 394 (cf ROH Main Stage seating capacity of 2256). There is currently no confirmation regarding how many shows a day or in total.

Now you mention it, wasn't there an Ashton ('heritage'!) bill in the Linbury not long ago? IIRC I couldn't get a ticket for that... oh dear. Now I'm worried.

• Like 3