Sergei Filin

"So it was your mutual dislike of Tsiskaridze that led you both to post here?"

I can't speak for Clarissa, but no, that's not what led me to post here. It's my dislike and anger over the attack on Sergei Filin that's led me to post here. Before the attack I didn't have an opinion one way or the other on Tsiskaridze. But his behavior and comments since the attack have created an unfavorable impression of him for me. Like I said before, I've formed my opinion of him based on his own words and actions, not from what others think of him.

• Like 2

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tsiskaridze has got only two students and one of them is Anzhelina Vorontsova. recently Tsiskaridze was dismissed from the teaching position, the idea to close his position belongs to Yuri Grigorovich. Here it is the link: http://www.mk.ru/culture/article/2012/01/11/659278-bolshoy-teatr-uvolnyaet-nikolaya-tsiskaridze.html ; And here it is another link to prove that Anzhelina (Dmitrichenko's girlfirend) is Tsiskaridze's student : http://www.bbc.co.uk/russian/russia/2013/02/130208_tsiskaridze_filin_bolshoi.shtml,  - Tsiskaridze speaks about her to BBC.

I said he was one of the most popular teachers at the Bolshoi, I was not referring to his coaching because as you confirm, almost all his students were 'advised' to leave him.

I sat in on one of Tsiskaridze's classes when the Bolshoi was at the ROH last time, indeed I hope to do so again this summer, it was a highly enjoyable experience. A few years ago Marina Leonova, director of the Bolshoi Ballet School, was full of praise for his teaching abilities, indeed she told me her daughter Anna Leonova attended his classes, if his classes are now also being curtailed, I can begin to understand why he is less than enamoured of the Bolshoi management.

So it was your mutual dislike of Tsiskaridze that led you both to post here?

Edited to amend grammar.

I had a warm feeling about Tsiskaridze before he spoke to BBC, even though I was not his biggest admirer as a dancer. Surely, he is an interesting and competent speaker.His words he doesn't believe it was an acid attack changed my opinion. But still I hoped then : he said it without much thinking. But, allas, he repeaed the same words, this time he did it on  TV (NTV), a couple days after Filin's press conference.  I must say - I am from the doctor's' family. Two of our family memebers are ophthalmologists, one of them lives in Aachen... We all were shocked.  I can't write you more now. Later I will say some words about  your next question (or topic)

Edited by Clarissa

I write not to humiliate Mr.Tsiskaridze, but in order to express my sympathy and support то Mr. Filin.  I mean, I did not expect  to see negative comments about him in this topic.

BTW, he passed through his 13th operation yesterday, the doctors try to save his right eye. That's what I am here for...
  • Like 1

I write not to humiliate Mr.Tsiskaridze, but in order to express my sympathy and support то Mr. Filin.  I mean, I did not expect  to see negative comments about him in this topic.

BTW, he passed through his 13th operation yesterday, the doctors try to save his right eye. That's what I am here for...

So you write as a cheer leader for Sergei Filin, as if he needed one, and writing rubbish about Nikolai Tsiskaridze is somehow all his own fault, and exactly what negative things have been written here about Filin? The Ballet.co regular posters have all shown sympathy towards him.

So you write as a cheer leader for Sergei Filin, as if he needed one, and writing rubbish about Nikolai Tsiskaridze is somehow all his own fault, and exactly what negative things have been written here about Filin? The Ballet.co regular posters have all shown sympathy towards him.

Now you are characterising me...Well,  I apologize, if N.Tsiskaridze had never said those words about acid neither on NTV, no to BBC, and all these his statements were just fruits of my imagination.

"Well,  I apologize, if N.Tsiskaridze had never said those words about acid neither on NTV, no to BBC, and all these his statements were just fruits of my imagination."

If they're the fruits of your imagination then they must be of mine as well. Tsiskaridze has been saying in numerous interviews in print and on television that he doesn't believe that Filin was attacked with acid.  He's even called himself the real victim of this case because he believes it was all staged as part of a witch hunt against him.  I'm sure the scarred and nearly blind Sergei Filin, who's just undergone the 13th surgery on his eyes, would gladly trade places with him.

• Like 2

... recently Tsiskaridze was dismissed from the teaching position, the idea to close his position belongs to Yuri Grigorovich. Here it is the link: http://www.mk.ru/culture/article/2012/01/11/659278-bolshoy-teatr-uvolnyaet-nikolaya-tsiskaridze.html

I am sorry that I cannot find enough time to except against several strange, in my view, statements, which appeared on this page, and will confine myself to one particular piece of misinformation, which was quoted above. It gives the link to a statement in a well-known tabloid, which shines as a prime example of inaccuracy in reporting.
Under the headline “Bolshoi dismissed Nikolai Tsiskaridze” the reporter claimed that the idea of his dismissal belonged to Grigorovich. And to prove his own claim he cited the words of the press secretary: ‘Grigorovich’s request was dictated by the specifics of the Bolshoi’s continued operation after the reconstruction. The management considered Grigorovich’s request to be important taking into account the need to return all major productions to the main stage’.
Why should Tsiskaridze be dismissed in this context? What the reporter missed to mention is that the press secretary never claimed that Grigorovich referred toTsiskaridze. His request concerned another person.
After the Bolshoi’s reconstruction, Grigorovich was asked to oversee the transfer of his major works, like Spartacus, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, etc., to the main stage. He agreed, of course, but asked the Bolshoi to employ as his assistant the former dancer and repetiteur the 76-y-o Regina Nikiforova. The Bolshoi’s management readily agreed and for enabling them to employ Nikiforova full-time swiftly dismissed two half-time repetiteurs, Tsiskaridze and Godovsky.
Why on Earth would Grigorovich requested to dismiss Tsiskaridze who gives class in good faith every day and rehearses with his pupils? The very idea of Grigorovich requesting Tsiskaridze’s dismissal will make laugh anyone who knows about their good relationship. It was the management who found that personnel solution.
Where the paper’s report is concerned one can only keep guessing whether it was a kind of journalistic manipulation or may be the reporter didn’t bother to listen properly. In any case the false claim became another sensation and, as we can see, continues to be quoted even in foreign forums.
  • Like 2

There are articles in Russian newspapers talking about Tsiskaridze fearing to receive a third warning from the BT which could lead to his dismissal.

As my Russian is very limited maybe a member with better language skills could verify.

Here is one of the links:

http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=1067441#.UVUxlfAhF-g.facebook

Mr. Tsiskaridze had a warning from the director and he was asked to write an explanation note about his last appearance on the NTV channell, where he was showing his doubts in regards of Mr. Filin having the serious acid burns. At the same time he was saying that it is him, who should be the Bolshoi Theatre director.
Mr. Iksanov mainly was not happy with his words about Filin's burns.
There is a risk of being dismissed after three warnings (reprimands), but hardly this is the case. Mr.Tsiskaridze is a very famous artist and nobody would dismiss him even after three administrative reprimands.
Mr. Tsiskaridze appeals to the court against Bolshoi administration . He claims them for not giving him a freedom of speech.

Clarissa,
You wrote after quoting Farfallina’s request for translation of an article, so the reader will expect to see it.
However, apart from mentioning ‘three warnings’, your posting is not a translation of that article at all.
There was nothing in the article about ‘serious acid burns’
or Tsiskaridze ‘saying that it is him, who should be the Bolshoi Theatre director’
or his claims that he is not given ‘a freedom of speech’
or ‘Mr. Iksanov mainly was not happy with his words about Filin's burns’.
It is true that ‘Mr.Tsiskaridze is a very famous artist’ but the article mentioned neither this no that ‘nobody would dismiss him’.
If all this are your own speculations, I cannot see why they should be linked to the article provided by Farfallina?
If they come from another source, a link could be welcome.
Edited for correcting layout.

Edited by Amelia

Clarissa,

You wrote after quoting Farfallina’s request for translation of an article, so the reader will expect to see it.

However, apart from mentioning ‘three warnings’, your posting is not a translation of that article at all.

There was nothing in the article about ‘serious acid burns’

or Tsiskaridze ‘saying that it is him, who should be the Bolshoi Theatre director’

or his claims that he is not given ‘a freedom of speech’

or ‘Mr. Iksanov mainly was not happy with his words about Filin's burns’.

It is true that ‘Mr.Tsiskaridze is a very famous artist’ but the article mentioned neither this no that ‘nobody would dismiss him’.

If all this are your own speculations, I cannot see why they should be linked to the article provided by Farfallina?

If they come from another source, a link could be welcome.  

Hi, Amelia! I was answering Farfallina  question, and it was :"here are articlES in Russian newspapeRS talking about Tsiskaridze fearing to receive a third warning from the BT which could lead to his dismissal.

As my Russian is very limited maybe a member with better language skills could verify."So, I was giving a summary of what was written regarding this case in a few articles, not in one. I will provide you with all those articles later, with my apologies that they are in Russian. I did not see a request from Farfallina to translate just this small article, which is not even an article , but a couple of quotations from what Mr.Tsiskaridze said on TV.
And I would appreciate you to use better words than characterizing my short answer as speculations, it is quite a strong expression. I am not used to such a level of communication. 

Thank you for the link, Marissa, it is not bad article. At the same time the words "Filin claimed after the attack that Tsiskaridze had threatened him with a compromising audio tape" are coming from unknown sources. Officially Filin did not do any declarations about Tsiskaridze threatening him. (Describing Filin as an artist I would add, Sergei Filin also has got a title of the People's artist of Russian Federation and a many various ballet awards.) 

Edited by Clarissa

Clarissa, I've been wondering about that claim that Filin supposedly has made about Tsiskaridze trying to blackmail him. It's been all over the Russian press yet there have been no direct quotes from Sergei himself and no mention in any of the official police reports.  Maybe these "unknown sources" are just trying to muddy the waters and cause even more controversy.

I hope and pray that the transplant surgeries go well and will restore vision to Sergei's right eye.

• Like 1

Sergei Filin is going to have a transplant surgery of the eye tissue. (There are no links in English just yet) It should be a complex operation, the first part of it has to be on Monday, and if it goes well, the next operation is planned close to the end of the week. http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=1068134

thanks for keeping us informed, Clarissa. During the past two weeks I was unable to find any updates from the doctors in any newspapers - not even the local ones from Aachen. Let's keep our fingers crossed, that the doctors will also be able to successfully treat the right eye.

Mr. Tsiskaridze had a warning from the director and he was asked to write an explanation note about his last appearance on the NTV channell, where he was showing his doubts in regards of Mr. Filin having the serious acid burns. At the same time he was saying that it is him, who should be the Bolshoi Theatre director.
Mr. Iksanov mainly was not happy with his words about Filin's burns.
There is a risk of being dismissed after three warnings (reprimands), but hardly this is the case. Mr.Tsiskaridze is a very famous artist and nobody would dismiss him even after three administrative reprimands.
Mr. Tsiskaridze appeals to the court against Bolshoi administration . He claims them for not giving him a freedom of speech.

thanks, for the translation, Clarissa. And you are right, I set this link as an example of various articles I found on Russian news pages and I didn't want to upload plenty of those here. I understand your posts as a summary what you are reading in Russian websites and I'm glad we have forum members who can provide a variety of views and information from different countries.

• Like 2

Here is a report on Ismene Brown's Blog which explains how the newly established ballet council operates and for me it put the letter from the Bolshoi to the President a little bit into persperctive.

It also indicates that the casting for London is far from being final.

http://www.ismeneb.com/ismeneb.com/Blog/Entries/2013/3/25_Bolshoi_artistic_council_says_no_to_dancer_participation.html

• Like 1

Here it is the latest article to confirm my previous answer to Farfallina : http://miamusic.ru/index.php/news-music/2302-nikolaya-tsiskaridze-ne-budut-uvolnyat-iz-bolshogo-teatra.html  

I would translate this article the following way: By noon on March 29,  the Bolshoi administration said they would not dismiss Tsiskaridze, the premier of the ballet company, because of his contacts with the press.

"The theater will not apply any sanctions to Tsiskaridze. He has the right to communicate with the media and to express his opinion, but we do not approve his harsh and unwarranted criticism of the management of the Bolshoi Theatre," - commented to MIA " Music " Katerina Novikova, the spokesperson of the Bolshoi.

Earlier Tsiskaridze spoke harshly criticizing the Bolshoi administration on the NTV channel , doubted that the burns received by Sergei Filin in the attack were really hard, and expressed full readiness to lead the Bolshoi Theatre.

Tsiskaridze said that if his rights are violated, he will go to court. "The relationship in the" Bolshoi " are very tense, there is informational struggle there, where the grand prize is the position of the director of the theatre . All the latest events around the theater are associated only with this," - Tsiskaridze said to MIA "Music" "

Edited by Clarissa

Clarissa, I've been wondering about that claim that Filin supposedly has made about Tsiskaridze trying to blackmail him. It's been all over the Russian press yet there have been no direct quotes from Sergei himself and no mention in any of the official police reports.  Maybe these "unknown sources" are just trying to muddy the waters and cause even more controversy.

I hope and pray that the transplant surgeries go well and will restore vision to Sergei's right eye.

Yes, this information first appeared in "Izvestia" without any clear reference in regards of the primary source, after that all the websites simply "copy-pasted" it.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the surgery hasn't been done yet, or his doctors aren't reporting the results out of respect for his privacy. I just hope that if or when it's done, it's a success and at least some sight can be restored to his right eye.

• Like 1

yes, fingers still crossed that they will manage to do miracles on the right eye. In one article I read a statement that the treatment of the left eye has achieved 50% eye sight - on the other hand I read another article where they ( I think it was Sueddeutsche Zeitung) described meeting Sergei Filin in the cafeteria of Aachen clinic and he had difficulties finding his tea mug...  I hope Aachen will do an official press release soon..

• Like 1

Hi, ladies:) It seems to me that they stopped providing an information about Sergei Filin,  Maybe it is because of the information war that was going on in the Russian media for a few months. I also strongly hope doctors will restore his right eye vision....

Hi, ladies:) It seems to me that they stopped providing an information about Sergei Filin,  Maybe it is because of the information war that was going on in the Russian media for a few months. I also strongly hope doctors will restore his right eye vision....

I also have the feeling there is a complete shut down - also no indications of anything on the FB pages of wife/mother/sister....

Did you see the clip on youtube from Russian news where they showed pieces of his eye treatment still in Russia ?

They had a doctor explaining the situation and again my Russian is too bad to really grasp all of it.