Northern Ballet Associates Audition Times!

Balletgirlsplease

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Northern Ballet Associates is very much a classical course, the mids and seniors also do contemporary class. My dd found this very valuable as she didn't have any other opportunity for true contemporary training. What's more the contemporary class was taught by a contemporary dancer not a ballet dancer, which I think is very valuable.

• Like 1

Hi millie3 my daughter is in group 5 at Tring CBA and she is also doing the Northern Ballet Easter course. Their summer course last year was fantastic so she is really looking forward to it!

Hello Amethyst

My dd is in group 6 at Tring - so I guess they will end up together on the Easter course, I'll tell her to look out for someone else from CBA. We're making a family holiday out of it and staying nearby, so dd will be catching the train in and out everyday.

Millie3

Congratulations to your dd gazelle.

Difficult decision - my dd loves the CBA at Tring, Did you notice on the questionnaire they asked if parents wanted the academy to be every week? Interested to know what the outcome will be.

My dd has also really enjoyed everything she's done with the Northern Ballet - off to their Easter Course again next week. Their facilities are fantastic. Most probably not a deciding factor, but the shopping is much better in Leeds!

Thank you, Millie.

Glad to hear the shopping in Leeds is good, but hope there are as many nice coffee shops as there are in Tring!

• 2 weeks later...

Stardancer - I'm not sure if you've seen my PM to you - but I'm assuming not so I'll post here as you might see it - please can you try to write your messages in sentences (with caps and basic punctuation) - it helps to make your meaning clear and avoids misunderstandings. Many thanks :)

• Like 3

Hello Stardancer,

Like me, JulieW is a Moderator so our job is to try to keep the forums running smoothly. We don't get paid for moderating so it's not a case of having nothing better to do; Julie is Moderating in the little bit of spare time she gets.

Now that we know you're dyslexic we won't ask you to use capitals and punctuation etc. again.

Kind regards,

Spanner. :-)

• Like 3

I don't know how many coffee shops there are in Tring but there are loads in Leeds! There is actually a public cafe in the foyer at NB's HQ. (When I attended NB's mixed programme in February, lots of parents were enjoying a cuppa while waiting to pick up children.) They do some lovely cakes! NB is also very close to West Yorkshire Playhouse where, again, there is a very nice cafe.

Quarry Hill is maybe a five minute walk from the main drag. During the day there are a couple of nice cafes in the gorgeous Victoria Quarter arcades as well as the usual high street ones on Briggate. If you don't mind a 10-15 minute walk from Quarry Hill there is a fantastic vegetarian cafe in the Grand Arcade (adjacent to the Grand Theatre). Although I am by no means a vegetarian, it's one of my favourite places to eat and is very reasonably priced.

• Like 3

one does wonder if you have nothing better to do

maybe you should take up ballet to fill youre time

I've spent some hours considering my response to this post. I don't want to highjack this thread, so if anyone wants to respond further may I suggest that they do by sending me a PM rather than continuing it here, but here's what I finally decided I wanted to say.

I read this post on my phone (unfortunately I can't "sign in" on my phone so can only read posts) this afternoon while I was whiling away my time helping backstage at a local dance festival on one of my days off work. I found it extremely rude and offensive and feel quite hurt that after our pleasant exchanges by PM earlier this year where I was offering you support, that you responded in this way (and I did try sending you a PM first). All you needed to say was that you find it hard because you're dyslexic and left it at that. I think my posting was quite polite and didn't deserve the response it got - perhaps I'm wrong and I apologise if you were offended - I was trying to improve things for everyone so that postings are clear and easy to understand the meaning behind them.

As someone recently told me on FB "I read somewhere that as a moderator, If you are not called a facist, overcontrolling, etc etc at some point, then you are not doing it right!" so I shall forget about it and move on.

• Like 13

I don't know how many coffee shops there are in Tring but there are loads in Leeds! There is actually a public cafe in the foyer at NB's HQ. (When I attended NB's mixed programme in February, lots of parents were enjoying a cuppa while waiting to pick up children.) They do some lovely cakes! NB is also very close to West Yorkshire Playhouse where, again, there is a very nice cafe.

Quarry Hill is maybe a five minute walk from the main drag. During the day there are a couple of nice cafes in the gorgeous Victoria Quarter arcades as well as the usual high street ones on Briggate. If you don't mind a 10-15 minute walk from Quarry Hill there is a fantastic vegetarian cafe in the Grand Arcade (adjacent to the Grand Theatre). Although I am by no means a vegetarian, it's one of my favourite places to eat and is very reasonably priced.

(and come fundraising days can I HIGHLY recommend the PTA cake stall..... ;) - baked by yours truly!!!!) xxx

• Like 5

Thank you for all the information about coffee shops and cakes in Leeds! I am really looking forward to trying some of them out and exploring Leeds in general.

Can anyone tell me if Northern Ballet Associates have to reaudition every year?

• 2 months later...

Hi

I've been plucking up courage to write on the forum, so here goes. Regarding Gazelles question about whether Northern Ballet Associates have to reaudition every year, I too would like to know the answer, as my daughter is due to start this September as an Inter Foundation Associate, so any help would be appreciated.

Hi

I've been plucking up courage to write on the forum, so here goes. Regarding Gazelles question about whether Northern Ballet Associates have to reaudition every year, I too would like to know the answer, as my daughter is due to start this September as an Inter Foundation Associate, so any help would be appreciated.

Hi Shirley315,

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum. :-)

Hi Shirley315

Once you are in intermediate you don't need to re-audition every year-but some children move up to seniors (I think from year 9 or 10?) and some may stay on in intermediates until they are ready to move up. At the end of the year, a progress report is sent out so you know if there are any issues. I haven't heard of Inter Foundation Associates so this may be a new scheme, however I would just add that the staff at NB Academy are really very friendly and approachable and I am sure they would be happy to give you all the information you want. I have nothing but praise for the scheme and my daughter has come on (excuse the pun!) 'leaps and bounds' since starting there 2 years ago.

Best wishes

Hi swe

Many thanks for your help in answering my question. This is a new class that they have introduced this year due to large volume of numbers applying for associate scheme, so we're just so relieved that we've been lucky enough to get in. After previous rejections from Hammond, RB and Elmhurst it's nice that she's finally been given a chance, and I must admit when we visited Northern Ballet's open day earlier in the year I was very impressed with both their facilities and also the staff that we met, so fingers crossed that it will be a good move for us, although not looking forward to the travelling.

Thanks again