Northern Ballet Associates Audition Times!

Balletgirlsplease

Hi Ballet12 and well done to your dd. Is that for the CAT scheme? When I spoke to Hannah at the ballet school about my dd last monday she suggested that they have another look at them at the second audition and that if they say yes from then the Easter course is to see if the child likes it/ can cope with it. I may be wrong but that is the impression I got.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope those that attended the finals yesterday had a good day and enjoyed it, my DD came out with a smile on her face but either way she did well to get to the final hope its good news for her ........... :) so now the wait begins for the letter :wacko: Good Luck to anyone else waiting x

• Like 1

Having followed this forum for several years now, I have finally plucked up the courage to write my first post!

My DD was at the finals yesterday and really enjoyed herself. Northern Ballet is her favourite company and she was very excited to have got this far. There seemed to be quite a few auditioning - does anybody have any idea how many Associate places might be available? DD is 13 (Year 8)

Many thanks to all the contributors to this site - I have gained so much information from all your posts and have followed the progress of your DDs and DSs with much interest.

• Like 1

Hi there

My dd is a senior associate at NB and I think there are around 25 in the class-I think year 8 is intermediate and from memory this group is a similar size, but there maybe someone else out there who has more accurate info. Good luck to your dd!

Hello Stardancer

Not sure what you mean by level-but if it any help Seniors are predominately year 10 and 11 (I think there are some year 9s too) and my dd is working towards Intermediate ISTD - someone on another post recently said ISTD and RAD were similar levels?? She also did the summer school last year and really loved it-parents were invited to watch some of the work at the end of the week. Hope that is some help.

swe

thank you swe could you also tell me how many children were in the summer school last year.

and what was the times like eg 9-5 everyday as we have alot of traveling

i was also interested in york seminars and york scholars do you no what these are like

but my dd is looking forward to leeds it has always been her first choice

as they are very friendly

does youre dd find leeds the same

My daughter really enjoyed the northern ballet summer school in Leeds. She made new friends- one was French. class sizes were big cannot remember how many however she thought standard of teaching was very high and got corrections that she made a note of in her notepad.also there were cat students in her group so that gave her an incentive to work hard to be as good as them :) we stayed over in a lovely caravan in the country 15 min drive from Leeds so my son could kick his ball about and had lovely week.

Hi Stardancer

Yes, like Amethyst, daughter enjoyed herself at the summer school and it gave her the chance to meet some teachers who turned out to be teaching her this term. From memory the class did seem very big but that didn't seem to detract from the standard of teaching. We stayed at a travelodge in the centre and I spent the days at National Trust places with my other daughter. You are right when you say the staff at NB are friendly-they are all so approachable. I think she had to be there at 9.30 ?? but not sure on finish time-maybe 4.30pm. I am sure if you phone they would be happy to help you.

Best wishes

The Northern Ballet Summer School which both my daughters attended last yr having both also attended RBS summer school and RAD summer school was extremely challenging. Both my girls loved it, my eldest also did company class. Yoko Ichino is a very hard taskmaster who assessed all the children at the first class and placed them in groups according to ability. It was the hardest and most rewarding summer school my girls have ever attended and my eldest was a full time student at White Lodge. There were a variety of students there from RBS, Elmhurst, Hammond and international. My youngest is now part of the classical CAT programme at Leeds too!

The students took notes in each class, were given individual exercises, watched the Company in action and performed for parents at the end of the Summer School. All in all a fantastic experience!

Edited by dancedizzy

• 2 weeks later...

My DD also has a yes for the intermediate associate class, were very happy as she's currently a mid associate with the Royal Ballet at mancheter so now she needs to decide as were not doing both, I think she will choose northern as she really enjoyed the audition :) good luck to those waiting

• Like 1

Thankyou,I have followed everyones progress over the past few months with great interest and totally understand how hard upsetting and painful this ballet world is, and now i have found a topic which my daughters involved in, as she didn't audition for any vocational schools, just assosciate schemes :)

• Like 1

My delighted DD has a 'yes' for a place in the Intermediate Associates class. Her local ballet teacher asked me who the teacher(s) might be - can anyone help?

Lovely news congratulations, I am sure someone on the forum will be able to enlighten you on who the teachers may be.

My DD also has a yes for the intermediate associate class, were very happy as she's currently a mid associate with the Royal Ballet at mancheter so now she needs to decide as were not doing both, I think she will choose northern as she really enjoyed the audition :) good luck to those waiting

Lovely news and congratulations! How amazing to have a choice, I hope she makes the right decision for her.

• Like 1

It's a hard one as she enjoys Royal Ballet but it's such a long way and it's moving to Saturday morning we would have to be out the house for about 8am and wouldn't get back till gone 3 we have other children aswell who would have to give up their activities also, she also really enjoys contemporary and is loving the idea of northern, were letting her make the decision she needs to be happy :) people have said 'are you crazy the royal is so prestigious etc' but it's not always about that, is it??? Please help me, she would do both but it would be too much

Thank you, Amber21 and congratulations to your DD DancingDaisy and good luck with the decision making.

My DD is also facing a difficult choice. She currently attends the Tring Classical Ballet Academy, which she absolutely loves and which I feel she has benfited from greatly but, although the class times don't clash, it is just not possible for her to do both due to time and financial constraints.

She feels 'at home' at Tring, has blossomed under the teaching style there and has made good friends, but Northern Ballet has more emphasis on contemporary dance and is every week (as opposed to six times a term), which she perhaps needs at this stage. It is also slightly nearer!

Congratulations to your dd gazelle.

Difficult decision - my dd loves the CBA at Tring, Did you notice on the questionnaire they asked if parents wanted the academy to be every week? Interested to know what the outcome will be.

My dd has also really enjoyed everything she's done with the Northern Ballet - off to their Easter Course again next week. Their facilities are fantastic. Most probably not a deciding factor, but the shopping is much better in Leeds!

My two pennyworth (again)

DS attended the Easter course last year and really enjoyed it - had things been slightly different he may well have ended up on the CAT course there. I think the teaching style is so different at the Northern it will suit some students much better than others. For him, it gave him insight and technique that he hadn't picked up from, say, the RBS associate scheme.

Regarding picking the less prestigious course - it takes huge courage. It's so easy to think you can always "change down" - unfortunately it ain't necessarily so.

meadowblythe

• Like 1