British dancers’ prospects, an article I found by chance

Kerfuffle

I was searching for more evidence of the employment difficulties faced by British dancers both here and abroad. This was written in 2018 but  I think outlines some of the problems. Unfortunately this only shows the first page but can be found in total if you search for « evidence on Brexit movement of people in sports and culture « 
pdf

Edited by Kerfuffle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is really interesting thank you for posting. With DD auditioning 2 years back to back (due to covid) our experience was very much that there was a strong shift in the second year towards applications requiring a EU passport. (Which ironically she was entitled to but did not come through in time due to covid backlogs!) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

I was searching for more evidence of the employment difficulties faced by British dancers both here and abroad. This was written in 2018 but  I think outlines some of the problems. 
pdf

I was just wondering covid had masked the problems with Brexit, also if this cohort managed to survive and find work? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/03/2023 at 19:08, mumtotwoballerinas said:

My son is having huge issues getting visa, but even with an EU passport dancers have to apply for visas in certain countries 

Which countries? Does the EU passport get their foot through the door? 

1 hour ago, Kerfuffle said:

Which countries? Does the EU passport get their foot through the door? 

Many non-EU countries require work permits/visas to work there whether you are an EU citizen or a UK citizen - you would have to check on a case by case basis.  It may be that there are special arrangements between certain countries but you need check these out.

If you have an idea of where you would want to work it may be an idea to contact the UK-based embassy of that country (if you are in the UK).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My DD has EU passport (inherited from me) and never had issue when working in EU countries? As a EU national you are entitled to work in any EU country without needing a work permit. Some EU countries require for you to register yourself with local authority (town hall very likely) and they issue you residency card. But nothing like visas.

• Like 1