Dance and school clothing labels

Karen

Not strictly a dance topic, but I know there will be lots of members who will be able to help with this! Has anyone found a system of labelling dance and school clothing that can survive dd's roughness and stays on through vocational school washing machines? I thought that sewing woven labels would be the answer but several have just disintegrated after a few months! Also, any advice on getting labels to stay on socks would also be gratefully received.

Thanks

I too have found that you have to use the woven name tapes and sew them in with small stitches as the iron-on ones don't last long at all as they come off in the wash all to easily. Perhaps put the label in a different position.

The thread that you buy in the supermarkets isn't very strong and can break easily so I buy thread from a sewing shop which is more durable.

Regarding socks - sew the label on the inside at the back of the sock, a few centimetres down from the top of the sock, away from the elastic. Fold the name label in half with the edges tucked in and sew in with a few stitches. Hope that this makes sense! Have had to do this for non-D mother-in-law going into a home.

• Like 1

I have always used a sewing machine to sew in labels even on socks. I have a very clever machine which can embroider names as well so where possible I have actually embroidered his name in his clothes, sheets, underwear! The only item he has ever lost was his W/L tracksuit top with his name embroidered on the facing but it still never came back! I only ever brought one lot of labels in year 7 and recycled them through out the years. So glad I don't have to sew labels now!

• Like 4

Without having the benefit of KathyG's fabulous sewing machine I have always used a coloured thread to stitch DD's initials onto socks ('embroidered' would certainly be pushing the skill level involved!). I've used this method on the inside seams of leotards/tights as she always found the fabric name labels irritated her during class. However I do use the fabric name labels on character skirts, sweat tops and warm up clothes.

For my non dancing son all his school clothes have his 'secret code' stitched in a unobvious place. It's a little stitched square of bright green thread and invisible marker (the stuff you use to mark valuables with your postcode) - then even if someone removes the fabric name label, he can prove that the item is his as he knows what to get the teacher to look for.

I know the above sounds neurotic, but one year of having to purchase 4 school badged coats (at £40+ each time for a 5 year old!) led me to develop my own method for ensuring he always got his items back.

• Like 2

To be honest!

I have sewed in names , used iron on plastic labels and written my daughters name in permanent ink on clothing.

But in vocational boarding houses and in school, if someone wants to "pinch it" believe me they will, and they do !

We must have had over £800 worth of school and dance kit go missing in the last four and a half years. Pupils have admitted to cutting labels off socks because they have run out or can't find their own. Get a big black pen and deface thenm underneath the sole.

Some kind pupil took my daughters skirt whilst she was busy in dance class, whilst on another day took her expensive make up that she had taken in to use for her modern exam, when she came out of the exam her belongings had been gone through and items were missing.

I did complain about this because of the expense , and hey ho ... it was found one week later shoved behind a locker in another block.

So my advice is to write names everywhere, deface garments with your own pens and make sure it's hard for someone else not to take what is clearly not theirs.

Sorry to go on , but I hate people who can't keep their hands to themselves.

J x

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Good old-fashioned laundry pens work well.  Otherwise stick on labels for everything.  DD has experienced the same in the past.  However, as a teacher I am always finding forgotten unlabelled items.  No matter how often I ask nobody says it is theirs!  If there is a clear name I know who to return it to.

• Like 1

Sadly cashes have gone out of business now , but easy to name woven sew on ones are just as good and even when DS does his own sewing it has lasted in the school washing system .

We used laundry pen for shoes etc but even so his tap shoes and converse have dissapeared along with a watch ......

If people want to steal there's little one can do , though I now carve his name into the soles of expensive shoes !!!!

• Like 2

I have found the iron on ones from mine 4 sure excellent. They have withstood a year of vocational school washing with only one starting to come loose ( I simply ironed on another one!).

I have also used the transfers from easy2name for socks and tights and found them very good.

All that sewing of labels, eugh no thanks! The iron ones really have come on a long way in recent years and bond with the fabric and stretch too