Washing Bloch canvas shoes.

Dance*is*life

I have a boy taking Intermediate this year. His Mum bought him new shoes and unfortunately he wore them before I noticed how big they are on him🙁 .  Does anyone have any experience in washing canvas shoes (Bloch split soles)  in order to shrink them a bit?  I don't want to ruin them for him!  Thanks in advance!

I regularly wash my DD's canvas shoes and they have never shrunk. But I do wash them at 30C on a delicate/silk cycle so if you wash them at a higher temperature then they might shrink?

I dry them overnight in the airing cupboard. 

Hi, I agree that drying on the radiator shrinks more than the wash. But the difficulty is in the inner "sole" material can detach.

Also, the pink ones fade a bit when washed so if you're washing black maybe wash with no detergent just a cup of salt in water to stop them fading.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone -they're white so can't really fade!  Perhaps I'll tell his Mum to dry them partially for about ten minutes in the tumble dryer and then let them dry naturally -that might do the trick!  I have no idea why the fitter thought they were okay!  They are a C width and his feet probably need a B - there's a lot of spare material at the sides, so hopefully a slight shrinkage will help!

My DD used Capezio Hanami as her prefered soft shoes and I washed them regularly on 40 and they never shrunk or had unwanted changes to the inner soles. She had always few pairs on the go so they just dried hanged naturally.

She even washed her Gaynors in the machine 🙂 and came out without issues. 

I’d dry on top a hot radiator to get needed shrinkage!

Of course it would’ve been better if correct size had been bought in first place! I wonder if fitter just sold what shoes they had in stock rather than ordering in correct size…. Often find only standard width shoes held in some stores & sone don’t want to place orders until they have enough for bulk order…. Tbh, once found the best shoe it can be cheaper for individuals to order online or find a good shop who will help regular customers! We regularly use The Dancers Room (based in Lichfield) even though not local as they offer great personal service to order over the phone/by email 

• Like 2

I think they're too wide rather than too long,  but he's now pulled the drawstrings tighter and seems to cope with them.  As he hates wearing shoes - prefers to dance in socks -  I am happy that he agrees to wear any shoes!   I gave him an ultimatum that he had to wear shoes with his exam coming up in March,  so whilst I really hate all that excess material, perhaps that's why he actually finds them comfy!

• Like 1