ROH Tannhauser

CCL

Quickly, to follow up on the above, it's all good. Production as before, and as before good in parts - the Venusberg opening is very good (and avoids so many pitfalls). Some of the rest is baffling (at least to me): why for example are the pilgrims carrying guns? Given the rest of the production, their guns are maybe to protect themselves from creatures of hell, who...all work at the Royal Opera House? (Yes, that's where the show is - sort of - set.)

The singing was of a pretty high standard: Vinke made it through, and sometimes was really very good. He only had me anxious a few times, so well done him. The rest of the cast solid and good, somehow not sensational, even voice of the moment Davidsen, but that may be me. The chorus spectacular, and very well handled by conductor and whoever did the restaging. The orchestra the usual hit and miss (the first fluff by the brass came in the second bar). The audience sounded like they had a great time. 

• Like 2

I'm broadly in agreement with Sebastian. Vinke had me very worried at the start and I wondered if he'd make it through but he seemed to improve through the rest of the first act. I'm always astonished on hearing Davidsen live so am probably more enthusiastic about her than Sebastian. The other stand-out for me was Finley who sang gorgeously throughout.

• Like 2

I go to the opera quite a lot but am not really qualified to express authoritative opinions. Just thought I'd say I thoroughly enjoyed the dress rehearsal, terrific Wagner music and so well sung across the whole cast, Venus being very impressive (signing-wise of course). Five stars+.

• Like 1

Vinke was indisposed for yesterday’s performance and was replaced by Norbert Ernst who did very well. I absolutely loved Lise Davidsen. I’ve seen a description of her voice as ‘gleaming’ and it really was. The Venusberg dance at the beginning was superb. So much to enjoy in this, my first ever Wagner opera - the emotion in Act 3 was overwhelming. 

• Like 4