The Hammond upper school auditions

dancergirl101

Hi

Can anyone please tell me some information about the audition for the Hammond sixth form as I have mine coming up quite soon. What is the standard like? How many audition on one day? How many get through to the afternoon programme? An example of some of the moves? And what exercises are in the flexibility test? Would be much appreciated, thanks :)

• Like 1

My DD auditioned last year. The ballet part of the audition took the form of a class ie some barre, centre etc. At the time my DD had been doing Adv 1 for only 3 months and she was comfortable with the standard, although there were quite a few exercises she had not done before and some she found difficult. The contemporary part of the audition was basically learning and performing a short routine. From memory there were about 25 in the audition. Solo dances/songs etc you are in a separate room to the other auditionees, with just the panel in front of you. My DD was very nervous about the singing and I know they told her to relax, take a few deep breaths and start again after she went wrong. I don't know how many make it though to the afternoon but would expect it to vary in any case. On the day my DD auditioned everyone did but this was because the head was called away on an emergency and they did not feel it fair to send people away before she had viewed the recordings they made of the audition. Best advice I can give you is to try and relax, smile and perform.

Flexibility tests took place during ballet class and was basically splits on both legs, sitting in second and lying on back with 'froggy' legs. Jazz was also learning a short routine. My DD loved the audition overall. Good luck.

Edited to add more information

Edited by 2dancersmum

I cannot help you as to content as my DD has yet to audition for a 6th form place (and yes, she is already in the lower school)

We were warned that the audition process would be harder this year for ALL auditionees and I know from talking to DD last night the students were there from 9.15 a.m. until nearly 6.00 p.m.!

They were all conpletely exhausted by the end of it. A few in DD's year 11 class did not make it through to the afternoon sessions. Yesterday was mostly internal candidates but my DD and a couple of others will be auditionning in early Feb along with other outside candidates.

I think they are really looking for performance more than anything else and the ability to pick up things quickly.

Good luck to everyone!

T

Good luck to your DD too Dragonlady. It is indeed a long day. My DD started at 8.30 am and finished at 5, earlier than some people and earlier also because she did not need a tour of the school.

I should emphasize that my comments on content were on the basis of the dance section of last years auditions process and obviously this may be different this year. I agree that performance and an ability to pick things up quickly are important.

Hi dancergirl101

My DD auditioned on monday and as dragonlady has already said it was a very long from 8.30am and they were still interviewing when we left at 6pm...I think there were around 27 auditioning that day.She was extremely nervous beforehand but came out upbeat however the next day she was drained both physically and emotionally.

I cannot comment on the hardest aspects of the audition as she doesn't give very much away,but she did do some pointework .

The best advice I can think to give you is to prepare yourself well and leave nothing to chance ........my daughter insisted she only needed soft shoes so I made her take her softblocks and her pointe shoes .....need I say more lol : ;)

Also for the interview anticipate what they could ask you and your responses.....the panel is made up of several heads of dance and musical theatre also directors of the school.

Hope that helps a little.....smile,perform,be yourself and above all enjoy your day !!!Good Luck to everyone auditioning this year!!

Dancergirl101 - DD auditioned last month, don't worry the point work was basic - it's only a tiny part of the audition. As others have said enjoy yourself and just do your best.

Thankfully DD's audition had fewer students - so they were able to leave earlier - with the distances people travel it does make it a very long day.

Well done to all who have already been called back for the funding audition and good luck to all those still to audition.

Dragonlady - do you know if current students have always joined external students at the funding audition? I didn't realise they did that - makes sense though as the audtion panel can compare them all at the same time.

Millie3 - Dragonlady may correct me but I believe the recall or funding audition is one of the new changes Hammond have made to their audition process. Last year all the auditions were filmed and the funding was allocated from Hammond on the basis of the initial audition. There was no recall for upper school, although lower school had recalls for MDS funding.

All the successful internal candidates (as far as DD can tell) have been asked to attend a funding audition, as most of them will be relying on funding to continue with their studies this means that there is still very much a level playing field as they will audition along with the successful outside candidates.

T

My DD stayed in her ballet tights.  She had transition tights so she could just roll the feet up and go barefoot.  She did not have any 'jazz shoes' and so went barefoot.  She did say she would have had time to swap her tights if she'd laddered them or messed them up though.

Good luck for your audition. I hope you enjoy the day.

• Like 1