Guest oncnp

Mmm, it is a bit patchy, isn't it?  I'm glad to see Morera getting Anastasia again, as I thought her the best of the three, but I did wonder whether someone else might get a chance, given that Cuthbertson isn't available.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to RB Summer 2023 Casting
Just now, alison said:

Mmm, it is a bit patchy, isn't it?  I'm glad to see Morera getting Anastasia again, as I thought her the best of the three, but I did wonder whether someone else might get a chance, given that Cuthbertson isn't available.

Thanks for adding the 2023. I couldn't figure out how to go back and fix it. 

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

and looking at it again might "TBC" indicate they are not sure of this piece? 

New Wayne McGregor: TBC

And tangentially related....23 bands of seat prices? 

I read that as, as is often the case with new works, the casting is TBC not the piece itself.  That said, I think that there have been times when a piece isn’t ready in time for its slot. 

• 2 weeks later...

From website

CORYBANTIC GAMES

9 JUNE 2023    FRIDAY, 7.30PM – 
14 JUNE 2023 WEDNESDAY, 7.30PM
17 JUNE 2023 SATURDAY, 7.30PM
Fumi Kaneko, Ryoichi Hirano, Claire Calvert, Annette Buvoli, Matthew Ball, William Bracewell, Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Marcelino Sambé, Mayara Magri

10 JUNE 2023 SATURDAY, 7PM
12 JUNE 2023 MONDAY, 7.30PM
15 JUNE 2023 THURSDAY, 7.30PM
Melissa Hamilton, Reece Clarke, Isabella Gasparini, Gina Storm-Jensen, Nicol Edmonds, David Donnelly, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Luca Acri, Hannah Grennell

18 hours ago, oncnp said:

From website

CORYBANTIC GAMES

9 JUNE 2023    FRIDAY, 7.30PM – 
14 JUNE 2023 WEDNESDAY, 7.30PM
17 JUNE 2023 SATURDAY, 7.30PM
Fumi Kaneko, Ryoichi Hirano, Claire Calvert, Annette Buvoli, Matthew Ball, William Bracewell, Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Marcelino Sambé, Mayara Magri

10 JUNE 2023 SATURDAY, 7PM
12 JUNE 2023 MONDAY, 7.30PM
15 JUNE 2023 THURSDAY, 7.30PM
Melissa Hamilton, Reece Clarke, Isabella Gasparini, Gina Storm-Jensen, Nicol Edmonds, David Donnelly, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Luca Acri, Hannah Grennell

A bit more detail:

Casting for Royal Ballet performances Summer 2022-23 Season Booking Period 4 MAIN STAGE Conductor - Koen Kessels

New Wayne McGregor | Corybantic Games | Anastasia Act III Choreography Wayne McGregor | Christopher Wheeldon | Kenneth MacMillan

Friday 9 June, Wednesday 14 June, Saturday 17 June – 7:30pm

Corybantic Games: Fumi Kaneko*, Ryoichi Hirano, Claire Calvert*, Annette Buvoli*, Matthew Ball, William Bracewell, Anna Rose O’Sullivan*, Marcelino Sambe, Mayara Magri* Anastasia Act III: Laura Morera

Saturday 10 June – 7pm Monday 12 June, Thursday 15 June – 7:30pm

Corybantic Games: Melissa Hamilton*, Reece Clarke*, Isabella Gasparini*, Gina Storm-Jensen*, Nicol Edmonds*, David Donnelly*, Meaghan Grace Hinkis*, Luca Acri*, Hannah Grennell* Anastasia Act III: Natalia Osipova

*role debut

casting is subject to change

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Just to get this straight does the above casting mean that Laura Morera  will be in Anastasia on the : 9th 14th and 17th June? 

Yes - see first post in thread

Actually Mayara Magri was in the first cast of Corybantic Games, and the position of her name suggests that she’s reprising the same role (partnered by Marcelino Sambé in the pas de deux). Perhaps the asterisk was a typo error on the part of the company. Of the original cast, Lauren Cuthbertson is on maternity leave, Tierney Heap and Beatriz Stix-Brunell have left the company to pursue other careers, but Yasmine Naghdi is still with RB, so I wonder why she isn’t in the cast of Corybantic Games.....could she be taking a lead role in the new Wayne McGregor creation? She has always been an excellent interpreter of his works.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I see the Corybantic Games casting has been updated. Leticia Dias replaces Claire Calvert in the first cast. Luca Acri moves casts to replace Marcelino Sambe in the first cast with David Yudes replacing Acri in the second cast. Also some more Anastasia casting has been added with Ryoichi Hirano as Rasputin and Bennet Gartside as the Husband in the Morera cast and Matthew Ball as Rasputin in the Osipova cast.

Still no casting for the new McGregor though. Surely by now that must have been cast, as I can't believe McGregor hasn't been choreographing it for some time, so I wonder why nothing has been announced with under a month to go.

Corybantic-1.png

Corybantic-2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The original, late 1960s (?) version, which is what I had hoped we were getting when it was announced that we were getting the one-acter.  But from the starry casting for Rasputin I guess we're getting Act III - as altered early this century - ripped away from the 3-act version :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
13 minutes ago, alison said:

The original, late 1960s (?) version, which is what I had hoped we were getting when it was announced that we were getting the one-acter.  But from the starry casting for Rasputin I guess we're getting Act III - as altered early this century - ripped away from the 3-act version :( 

It's always been listed as  Anastasia Act III........

33 minutes ago, nycitybird said:

He's been recovering from an injury for some time. He posted yesterday saying he's at the final stage of his rehab - jumping!

I was actually surprised to see him at the Coronation concert because of his injury. I suppose he just ensured that he didn't exacerbate anything (and the choreography wasn't really so demanding).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I was actually surprised to see him at the Coronation concert because of his injury. I suppose he just ensured that he didn't exacerbate anything (and the choreography wasn't really so demanding).

Given the nature of the occasion, surely most dancers would want to participate even if they were nursing an injury?

In all probability, Marci’s next aim is to be fully fit for the RB’s tour to Japan. Best wishes to him (and Cesar who has already had to withdraw from that).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, capybara said:

Given the nature of the occasion, surely most dancers would want to participate even if they were nursing an injury?

Of course! But I'd been afraid that he might not be able to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne McGregor’s new ballet is Untitled, 2023. 

I don’t mean that he still hasn’t thought of a name this year.....the name, inspired by Carmen Herrera’s art, is actually “Untitled”. 😂

Sounds fun- I quite like minimalist art. Hope there’s a lot of dancing. The casting is remaining very mysterious- wonder if there’s going to be a surprise..... 😊

Edited by Emeralds

29 minutes ago, capybara said:

Does anyone know how long the new McGregor work is?

The overall timing for the programme is given as 3 hours but there are no splits online as yet.

if someone knows the running times for Anastasia and Corybantic Games (prior performances sadly now removed from ‘new’ ROH website) then you could work it out assuming the intervals are say 25 minutes

2 minutes ago, FionaE said:

if someone knows the running times for Anastasia and Corybantic Games (prior performances sadly now removed from ‘new’ ROH website) then you could work it out assuming the intervals are say 25 minutes

Good point 😊and I did try that but failed.