Glazunov - Les Ruses d’Amour / The Trial of Damis?

This one-act ballet, written by Glazunov for Petipa in 1900, has disappeared, says the impeccable Nadine Meisner. However the music is happily still available and there are several wonderful recordings. Recommended listening for fans of the score to Raymonda. 

Does anyone know if there have been any subsequent attempts to set a ballet to this tremendous music? 

8 hours ago, Sebastian said:

This one-act ballet, written by Glazunov for Petipa in 1900, has disappeared, says the impeccable Nadine Meisner. However the music is happily still available and there are several wonderful recordings. Recommended listening for fans of the score to Raymonda. 

Does anyone know if there have been any subsequent attempts to set a ballet to this tremendous music? 

Hello. I’m aware of two attempts.

Stanislavsky Beliavsky used the Harvard Notes and other primary sources to stage Russes d’Amour at the Hermitage Theatre in StP, just before COVID…Dec 2019, I believe. Info here:

https://afterpetipa.com/ballet/the-trail-of-damis-1900/

Too, I’m  aware of one earlier attempt by a French ballet master, 15-20 years ago? The film of the last 12 minutes did not seem as correct as the more recent reconstruction by Beliavsky. Sorry, the name is in my catalogue; far away from it now. Apologies.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 2

If you search on you tube, you will find a complete performance of the Belyaevsky reconstruction, with period costumes based on drawings by Ivan Vsevolozhsky, staged in the beautiful Hermitage Theatre in St. Petersburg, with the stately Alexandra Iosifidi, no less, as Lucinda.

• Like 2

"Les Ruses d'Amour" / "Trial of Damis”

The choreographer and author of the restoration Stanislav Belyaevsky said the return of the performance became possible thanks to a joint project of the State Hermitage Museum, Yuri Berestov and the Ayra Company.

The performance of 21 Dec 2020 at The Hermitage Theater can be watched here:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%D1%81%D0%BB%D1%83%D0%B6%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%B0+%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%B0+%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BF%D1%8B%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5+%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%B0&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:29550e46,vid:HAjbtglQwis

• Thanks 1