Pointe shoes help

dancergirl24

Hi

Im 15 and recently have been asked to get pointe shoes.

Does any one have any tips in breaking them in? they are bloch sonata and soo hard!

Also some people have told me to buy the suede patches and some have said darn them my tecaher dosent mind either ut im not sure whats best? thanks

Edited by dancergirl24
  • Like 1

Hi dancergirl24, congratulations on getting pointe shoes! :-)

Before you start breaking your shoes in, have you shown them to your teacher to make sure that she is happy with the way they fit you? She will also give you suggestions for breaking them in.

My dd wears hers around the house with clean socks over them to keep them clean (if you do this, be VERY careful not to slip, especially going up and down stairs). Wearing them warms the shoes up and helps them mould to your feet.

Then she rises up and down to 3/4 pointe, to soften the shoes at the demi-pointe. She gently bends the shank but I would definitely check with your teacher how best to break your particular shoes in.

My dd grew out of several pairs of pointes in quick succession when she first started en pointe, so 2 years on we have only just started darning them. Suede patches are fine to start off with as your teacher doesn't mind either way.

• Like 1

Before you do anything - anything - to the shoes ask your teacher to check them on your feet to see if they have been fitted correctly. Then ask her how she would recommend you break them in.

Before she sees them - do not walk around in them because if they look at all used and the fit is incorrect the store won't take them back.

Eventually, every dancer developes her own way of breaking them in. I used to do it very gently with my hands.

I never liked the patches and so I darned the platforms of all my pointe shoes.

Also ask your teacher what she recommends in the way of protection for your toes. I always used lamb's wool and for a heavy day of rehearsals I added an ace bandage.

Lots of luck to you - this is a big step forward!

• Like 1

Hi thank you very much for your help.

I have takeen thm to my teacher and she has okay them already.

Im in the middle of changing schools as this school ist the greatest and teacher not to helpful.

So im really confused in the whloe darning, suede patch thing?

Iv been wearing them around the house and massaging the te box and tying to bend them although they are still extrmely really tip dont think i will get sontantas again.

• Like 1

Hi thank you very much for your help.

I have takeen thm to my teacher and she has okay them already.

Im in the middle of changing schools as this school ist the greatest and teacher not to helpful.

So im really confused in the whloe darning, suede patch thing?

Iv been wearing them around the house and massaging the te box and tying to bend them although they are still extrmely really tip dont think i will get sontantas again.

I think you should wait until you get your school and teacher issues settled. You need a helpful teacher most of all. I know its difficult to wait - I really really do know this - but you need to get that settled first. Until then I think you need to put the shoes in a drawer, and when you get a new teacher take the shoes into her to look at and give you advice.

This is true for the patches/darning issue, too. Suppose you were to do one or the other and your new teacher prefers one over the other?

You're just going to have to be a bit patient so you can do this the right way. That way you won't have any regrets.