Faculty at Hammond and NBS (Diploma)

Streetdancer

DD is lucky enough to have been offered Diploma places at both The Hammond and NBS (with 2 auditions still to come but I think these 2 are her favourite). She is finding it incredibly difficult to make a decision. One thing I'm looking at as a parent is the faculty. There is plenty of information on The Hammond's website but I can find out almost nothing about NBS. I got the impression at the audition that there is 1 main ballet teacher and 1 main jazz teacher. Can anybody provide any more information? Please feel free to PM if you'd prefer. Any other insights would be very welcome too! Thanks very much. I may be back with more questions later 😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Streetdancer said:

DD is lucky enough to have been offered Diploma places at both The Hammond and NBS (with 2 auditions still to come but I think these 2 are her favourite). She is finding it incredibly difficult to make a decision. One thing I'm looking at as a parent is the faculty. There is plenty of information on The Hammond's website but I can find out almost nothing about NBS. I got the impression at the audition that there is 1 main ballet teacher and 1 main jazz teacher. Can anybody provide any more information? Please feel free to PM if you'd prefer. Any other insights would be very welcome too! Thanks very much. I may be back with more questions later 😂

Hi. Congratulations to your DD. What a fabulous start to the audition process.

I’m mum to an NBS 2021 graduate. Feels like a lifetime away but as DD only revisited the school and teachers last Friday it feels like we’ve never left. 😊 Not sure if you are on FB or Instagram as their most recent posts on both forums offer some insight into what some of the staff were up to during the holidays.  
I’ve tagged @Dancers Dad in as they have a wealth of knowledge as to the day to day runnings of the school as a parent of a current pupil and of course the more practical aspect relating to accommodation etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Wenders said:

Hi there, my DD is looking at both of these schools for her diploma, any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks 

Hi. As mum to a graduate DD from NBS do you have any specific questions in mind? 

Accommodation? Living in Manchester?  Auditioning post graduation? Academic module of the Diploma?  As there have been changes with in the teaching faculty it would be wrong for me to try and answer questions related to that aspect.Happy to respond where I can either here or via a DM 😊

Edited by balletbean

19 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi. As mum to a graduate DD from NBS do you have any specific questions in mind? 

Accommodation? Living in Manchester?  Auditioning post graduation? Academic module of the Diploma?  As there have been changes with in the teaching faculty it would be wrong for me to try and answer questions related to that aspect.Happy to respond where I can either here or via a DM 😊

Ditto ⬆️

(Parent of a current student at NBS)

• Like 1

Morning all. 

Northern has been at the top of my DDs list since she was there in the Summer. We are auditioning soon and I just wanted to make sure that we were fully informed so we could ask all our questions when we are there. Did your children enjoy their Dance experience there? Did they find it easy to make their choice at the end of year 1? Do they still have a varied timetable thereafter? What are the hours, is it Mon-Fri or do they also dance Sat mornings? Does your dancer have a part time job? Where did they stay in the first year? Quality of teaching? For the Northern graduate how easy has it been to gain employment with a dance diploma from Northern. And most importantly did your dancer enjoy their time there. 

thanks 

3 hours ago, Wenders said:

Morning all. 

Northern has been at the top of my DDs list since she was there in the Summer. We are auditioning soon and I just wanted to make sure that we were fully informed so we could ask all our questions when we are there. Did your children enjoy their Dance experience there? Did they find it easy to make their choice at the end of year 1? Do they still have a varied timetable thereafter? What are the hours, is it Mon-Fri or do they also dance Sat mornings? Does your dancer have a part time job? Where did they stay in the first year? Quality of teaching? For the Northern graduate how easy has it been to gain employment with a dance diploma from Northern. And most importantly did your dancer enjoy their time there. 

thanks 

Hi - my daughter is in year two at NBS...

Did your children enjoy their Dance experience there?

She loves it.

Did they find it easy to make their choice at the end of year 1?

Kind of. It was an easy choice for her but it's not only up to the student. Far fewer get to choose the Classical route as the teachers are strict on who makes it. You have to enter the training knowing that and with an open mind.

Do they still have a varied timetable thereafter?

Yes. I think the only thing to go completely between year 1 and 2 for my daughter on Classical was the Commercial classes. She still does everything else, but a little less. The Jazz group still do ballet but a little less.

What are the hours, is it Mon-Fri or do they also dance Sat mornings?

Monday to Friday. Hours vary but can be long, maybe 8.30-6.30 the longest. Most days more like 9.00-5.30 and the occasional early finish.

Does your dancer have a part time job?

No. I think a couple of her friends have something at the weekend. You wouldn't be able to in the week, it's so full on.

Where did they stay in the first year?

New Medlock House - Unite Students accommodation

Quality of teaching? 

Hard to say from a distance and without the ability to compare but if the evidence of the shows is anything to go by, it must be pretty good.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Dancers Dad said:

Hi - my daughter is in year two at NBS...

Did your children enjoy their Dance experience there?

She loves it.

Did they find it easy to make their choice at the end of year 1?

Kind of. It was an easy choice for her but it's not only up to the student. Far fewer get to choose the Classical route as the teachers are strict on who makes it. You have to enter the training knowing that and with an open mind.

Do they still have a varied timetable thereafter?

Yes. I think the only thing to go completely between year 1 and 2 for my daughter on Classical was the Commercial classes. She still does everything else, but a little less. The Jazz group still do ballet but a little less.

What are the hours, is it Mon-Fri or do they also dance Sat mornings?

Monday to Friday. Hours vary but can be long, maybe 8.30-6.30 the longest. Most days more like 9.00-5.30 and the occasional early finish.

Does your dancer have a part time job?

No. I think a couple of her friends have something at the weekend. You wouldn't be able to in the week, it's so full on.

Where did they stay in the first year?

New Medlock House - Unite Students accommodation

Quality of teaching? 

Hard to say from a distance and without the ability to compare but if the evidence of the shows is anything to go by, it must be pretty good.

That’s amazing thanks so much for the info. 

• Like 1

My daughter is in year 1 at NBS and is absolutely loving it! I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so happy!! She’s already learnt so much and happily accepts critique as she knows it is to her benefit. 

Unfortunately she is currently nursing an injury. As a parent I was concerned that there would be pressure on her to continue to dance however I couldn’t be happier with the care she is receiving from the school - they are actively discouraging her from dancing until she knows exactly what the injury is and what treatment she will need. To me, this is as important as the practical side of the course. 
Good luck with the audition!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wenders said:

Morning all. 

thanks 

Hi. I’ve sent you a PM ☺️

• 3 months later...
On 20/01/2023 at 17:47, Streetdancer said:

We were in this exact situation last year with these being my DD’s preferred choices. We went with NBS and could not be more pleased with our decision.

My DD loves it! She feels challenged and I believe the teaching is excellent. It’s a very nurturing school and I think they know their students well. Safe training is prioritised. 
We found the communication from Hammond poor, in comparison to excellent communication from NBS so that did sway us a little. Ultimately it came down to my DD getting the ‘right’ feel at NBS and she certainly picked the right place for her. 
She does know of 1 student who has experienced both schools and prefers NBS. However I think they both appear to be good schools with good employability at the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm also available to answer questions as my DD is a year 2 student. 

My daughter is loving her time at NBS.

I agree that it's a combined decision for the year 2 path choice as it's not just about wants ...students have to be realistic about their choice.

Again agree yes a varied time table.

My daughter does have a part time job....wkends only. 

My daughter has been in Dwell MSV ( over the road from Medlock) for both her first & second year & is staying there for her final year.

I don't have any other schools to compare teachers too. Daughter is very happy with her teachers & again the results of the shows says it all. The school is very approachable. 

Something I will add is about health insurance.

My daughter has had a few problems late last school year & begining of this year. Without insurance I don't think she would be dancing if we have had to wait for available NHS appointments! 

The school were very supportive of her & didn't push her into dancing. Until we knew it was safe for her to do so she sat out but still attended every lesson. 

Mj 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2023 at 21:31, Mjdb said:

I'm also available to answer questions as my DD is a year 2 student. 

My daughter is loving her time at NBS.

I agree that it's a combined decision for the year 2 path choice as it's not just about wants ...students have to be realistic about their choice.

Again agree yes a varied time table.

My daughter does have a part time job....wkends only. 

My daughter has been in Dwell MSV ( over the road from Medlock) for both her first & second year & is staying there for her final year.

I don't have any other schools to compare teachers too. Daughter is very happy with her teachers & again the results of the shows says it all. The school is very approachable. 

Something I will add is about health insurance.

My daughter has had a few problems late last school year & begining of this year. Without insurance I don't think she would be dancing if we have had to wait for available NHS appointments! 

The school were very supportive of her & didn't push her into dancing. Until we knew it was safe for her to do so she sat out but still attended every lesson. 

Mj 

So pleased to hear that your DD is loving her time at NBS. My DD loved her time there despite being hit with quite a few challenges during her time there 😷. Amazing school & faculty that kept them going throughout. Which was just as hard on them as it was on the pupils. How time flies as your DD must have started just after my DD graduated. Hope all goes well for this yr end show and going forward into 3rd yr. ☺️

• Like 1