New Les Misérables movie

tomuchtallent

Well my son and I are mad Les Mis fans - one of our favourite pastimes is watching the 10th anniversary stage celebration.  I also bought the 25th anniversary at the O2, but that was totally spoilt by the 17 year old boy band pop star who can't act and whose voice was drowned out every time he sang with anyone else.  They brought back the 10th anniversary cast to join them at the end and when Michael Ball's voice soared over everyone else's the whole audience clapped like mad. 

So what did I think of the film?  Generally depressing rather than moving :(  I agree that Hugh Jackman was pretty good, but didn't age enough. I really hated Russel Crowe as Javert  - watch the 10th anniversary Javert to see how his songs should be sung.  Perhaps because the stage show is not so realistic or in permanent close up, I have always found it moving, but bearable.  I hated the close ups of Anne Hathaway's downfall into depravity and the whole thing was just rather disappointing.  Perhaps I should watch it again, but I can't be bothered. I'll stick to the 10th anniversary concert version - nothing can beat Michael Ball singing Empty Chairs at Empty Tables!  And I had such high hopes for it....

DanceisLife, I so agree with you on most points! Loved Hugh Jackman full stop. I too found Anne Hathaway's descent into the underbelly of society rather too graphically depicted - certainly not unhappy that my 12 year old didn't want to accompany us to see the film....and while it was refreshing to see someone actually acting 'I Dreamed a Dream', unfortunately for me her constant bleating about having her hair cut off (which she chose to do) and losing weight for the part detracted in a big way. As a professional actress, paid an awful lot for what are often not particularly stellar performances (although she was very good as Fantine), doing what is necessary to play a part realistically is her JOB. Mind you, the constant whingeing paid off with her Oscar....;-)

And Russell Crowe was a travesty; a teeny tiny singing voice for a big man and a resolute lack of emotion, even for 'Stars'. I did wonder whether he was acting as much as a statue to convey his character's 'heart of stone', but I think I was being too charitable. Mind you, his Thunderbirds style costume for the opening scene can't have helped him get into character, ha ha! This is possibly a better acting part than Valjean, though and he wasted it.