Elmhurst Lower School

straceydor

Hi I am new to this Forum and i wondered if any one can answer a few questions for me please.

My dd would like to go to Elmhurst and I am not sure when we have to apply. My dd was 10 November 2012.

What are the auditions like ? Do they take children who do IDTA syllabus, I have heard that they rather have RAD?

Hello,

I am assuming she is in year five currently, and you are wanting to apply for year 7 start? That being the case, start checking the website when she goes into year 6 in September for application forms, dates etc. I'm sure someone on here will have a better memory than me, but as I recall the first preliminary auditions are in late October or November and I believe the last preliminary audition for September start was on Friday. I hope that helps.

The audition is a classical ballet class, an hour and a half, no acedemic selection and parents get to look around while the children audition. This has the advantage of keeping the nerves at bay for the parents because you are occupied, but unfortunately means that the children don't get to see it. I beleive this does happen if they are lucky enough to get a final audition though. My dd does ISTD so can't comment on the RAD preference.

I hope this is helpful, but I'm guessing there are people with more experience on here. x

Edited by along for the ride mum

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sure you will receive alot of brilliant advice with regard to Elmhurst. I am aware that the auditioning process has begun for next September 2013's intake as I know some JA's who have just auditioned and are about to this week. It is worth looking on their website for further dates for the next intake.

Good luck

Ax

That will be because of the school age thing, I always have to stop and think it through! There must be some in yr6 who are still 10. It is a good idea to start getting your info together early. They do put all the application forms and audition dates on the website but as they are still in the process for September 13 applications at the moment, I don't suppose that will change before they finish this cycle. Good luck to your dd for when the time comes.

AFTRM

Welcome to the forum Straceydor.

Preliminary auditions for fulltime vocational training are between November and January of school year 6 .The applications generally can be submitted in the Autumn term of year 6 starting from around October half term.The earlier you apply the earlier your audition date is likely to be . The preliminary audition is a straightforward ballet class, parents get to watch the final 10 minutes.By my calculations your DD is in year 5 so you have plenty of time to think about this.She may wish to consider auditioning for Elmhurst associates for a year 6 place for weekend classes to supplement local training .These outreach classes take place locally in Birmingham but also Manchester Plymouth and Sunderland.Applications for next September are available now and the auditions are in summer term. Dancers are accepted from all ballet programmes and there are many dancers who have come from an IDTA background.The school does follow its own syllabus of training but does offer optional RAD classes on Saturdays which most pupils attend to do their RAD major grades starting in Year 7 with Intermediate Foundation.More information is available on the school website www.elmhurstdance.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Staceydor, I just thought I would comment.  Our dd has been at Elmhurst birmingham since year 4 and would highly recommend the associate programme to give your dd a feel for the school.  Check out the website as its full of good information to get you going on audition dates etc.  We feel it is a great school and luckily our dd has final auditions for lower school Elm and Royal Ballet WL.

Good luck!