ROH Summer Season 2023

Guest oncnp

From IG         https://www.instagram.com/p/CnOidEvMwyl/

It will include performances by @ausballet as part of their 60th anniversary celebration, as well as their first visit to our theatre in 35 years.

@cacostaofficial will also celebrate his 50th birthday by returning to dance on the Royal Opera House stage. He will be joined by Friends and guest artists from The Royal Ballet, @bhamroyalballet and @acostadanza_ in a celebration not to be missed.

Further details to be announced in the spring, and public booking opens on 13 April.

Edited by oncnp

You just beat me to this, oncnp! Just logged on to post this. I must admit to being so excited when I saw Australian Ballet were coming as they're one of the few Companies that perform The Merry Widow; the only favourite ballet I've never seen live. Then I saw what they were doing; a modern triple bill, Kunstkamer, 2-6 Aug 🙁. Ballets by Sol Leon and Paul Lightfoot, also Crystal Pite and Marco Goecke.

The Carlos at 50 is on 26-30 July. No rep. details yet though it says 'he will be joined by friends and guest artists from the Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and Acosta Danza'. Both appear to be  in the main auditorium and booking opens whenever your summer booking period starts. Friends 14th March, Young ROH 12th April and public 13th April.

Just a reminder that the RB school performance also in this booking period and  is on Sunday 16th July at 3pm and lasts about 3 hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, Kunstkamer did get rave reviews.  But yes, not quite what I'd expected to be put on at the ROH.

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't any good. I'm sure it's wonderful for anyone who enjoys modern ballet and a chance to see an unusual programme. Just not my sort of thing.

However, I've just realised in my disappointment I didn't read on. Apparently, Australian Ballet are also doing a 60th Anniversary Celebration 'showcasing The Australian Ballet in some of it's signature repertoire'. So, perhaps I'll get a tantalising glimpse from The Merry Widow, leaving me wanting more.

• Like 2

Kunstkamer is not a triple bill, it is a whole evening full-length work with huge corps de ballet scenes, made by the four choreographers. And it's GREAT. I'm sure David Hallberg will be dancing in it as he was in Australia.

• Like 5

Kunstkamer was good. Certainly AusBallet's first performance of work by Crystal Pite. Music choices eclectic and interesting. Give it a chance.

And be more excited that Jorge Nozal might perform as he was the originator of his role, and it suited him far better than it suited David Hallberg. IMNSHO.*

2023 is not AusBallet's 60th anniversary season.

The company's first performance was in November 1962. 

I attended the 25th anniversary gala and naturally still possess the programme for "A Champagne Pommery Night at the Ballet" including Gary Norman, Leanne Benjamin and Roland Price. 1987.

The 40th anniversary gala was broadcast and I have the video as well as the programme. 2002.

The 50th anniversary gala was also broadcast and I of course have the programme. 2012.

Even the federal arts minister's comments in the Broadway World article referenced up-thread say the company began in 1962.

It really really annoys me that the company is fudging the date like this - most likely they didn't dare to make extravagant plans for 2022 and are now rushing things in to place (including presumably the London trip, replacing any planned Russian company).

There is as yet no word of any celebratory gala for the general audience here. And fine they can find time to whizz over to London in August yet in their supposed Melbourne season of five ballets 14-22 July is actually Tokyo Ballet.

Annoyed in Albury

*In My Not So Humble Opinion 🤣

• Like 3

And I'm getting bored with the same old classics over and over. So do some of nowaday's dancers, who love to move in more than one style. What a blessing it must be to work with a choreographer who is making his/her dances on your body, on your personality! Think Sylvie Guillem, think Edward Watson, think Alina Cojocaru who works with John Neumeier all the time. Sometimes you see a whole different intensity in these dancers.

I also think you should call it contemporary ballet, not contemporary dance - everything is developed from the classical language, not from free dance.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Angela said:

And I'm getting bored with the same old classics over and over. So do some of nowaday's dancers, who love to move in more than one style. What a blessing it must be to work with a choreographer who is making his/her dances on your body, on your personality! Think Sylvie Guillem, think Edward Watson, think Alina Cojocaru who works with John Neumeier all the time. Sometimes you see a whole different intensity in these dancers.

I also think you should call it contemporary ballet, not contemporary dance - everything is developed from the classical language, not from free dance.

The alternative to contemporary dance (which is what Kunstkamer is described as in all the descriptions/reviews I've seen so far) is not 'the same old classics over and over'. And (of course) classical choreographers also create dances on the bodies and personalities of their dancers.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Kunstkamer … I paid to watch the livestream, so I can only imagine the full effect of a live show.  There is a wide range of emotions on display ... not only angst as is often the case with contemporary dance,    Because of the multiple choreographers … I suppose you could argue it’s a four part full length.  The set and other commonalities running through it do hold the pieces together.  

I found it inventive and entertaining and uplifting.  

• Like 4

Even my friend who lives in Sydney knew nothing about the Aus Ballet Company coming over to UK this August until I told her this morning!! 

I don’t know whether she’s seen the Kunstkamer Ballet if that’s what they are doing. 

7 hours ago, jmhopton said:

However, I've just realised in my disappointment I didn't read on. Apparently, Australian Ballet are also doing a 60th Anniversary Celebration 'showcasing The Australian Ballet in some of it's signature repertoire'. So, perhaps I'll get a tantalising glimpse from The Merry Widow, leaving me wanting more.

This I would be interested in seeing, unlike Kunstkamer, but I fear that with only a single performance tockets will be extremely difficult to get. I wonder why they can't do more than one performance? I would have thought a mixed gala-type programme would be more popular than a modern work.

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Even my friend who lives in Sydney knew nothing about the Aus Ballet Company coming over to UK this August until I told her this morning!! 

I don’t know whether she’s seen the Kunstkamer Ballet if that’s what they are doing. 

No surprise there. The announcement was made at approx 7pm Tuesday evening Australian time, on Instagram and Facebook. 

Kunstkamer was performed in Sydney in April-May 2022 and in Melbourne in June 2022.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

The advert in the ROH Friends Magazine (page 4) states that prices will be £4-£115 for Kunstkamer and £7-£135 for the 60th Celebration.

54 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

...and the Carlos at 50 tickets will be £8-£155.

Yikes!!!!

• Like 1

Australian Ballet prices sound like bargains compared to Mayerling, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella 😉😂. The mixed bill should be suitable for anyone who would prefer classical ballet to a contemporary piece. Am surprised they’re not doing the mixed bill for two shows rather than one, though. 

If the cast and programme turn out to be the ones I was hoping for, £115 or £135 are both worth it since they’re taking long flights across several time zones!(£135 is still cheaper than me flying to Australia). 

I’ve been waiting 5 years for them to return (and also scolded myself for not booking any of Kevin Jackson’s performances on their last tour and instead limiting myself to just one show.....and he’s now retired.) Won’t make that mistake twice! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At least I think it's Summer.....

We are thrilled to announce details of the Next Generation Festival 2023, coming to the ROH in June. The festival will comprise of performances from six different companies: Finnish National Ballet Youth Company, McNicol Ballet Collective, BRB2, ZooNation Youth Company, Rambert School and The Royal Ballet Upper School.

• Finnish National Ballet Youth Company - 7, 8 June (7:45pm). 
  • McNicol Ballet Collective - 10 June (2:30pm and 7:45pm).
  • BRB2 - 13, 14 June (7:45pm).
  • ZooNation Company - 17 (2:30pm and 7:00pm), 18 June (12:30pm and 4:00pm). 
  • The Royal Ballet Upper School - 20, 21 June (7:00pm).  
  • Rambert School - 23, 24 June (7:00pm).

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

This info is not on website to book yet…even though I know booking hasn’t opened yet….It still says no events to show when you go into “more information” 

a regular perk of being a Friend seems to be advance news via the newsletter of programming ahead of it going onto the website

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 22:55, oncnp said:

At least I think it's Summer.....

We are thrilled to announce details of the Next Generation Festival 2023, coming to the ROH in June. The festival will comprise of performances from six different companies: Finnish National Ballet Youth Company, McNicol Ballet Collective, BRB2, ZooNation Youth Company, Rambert School and The Royal Ballet Upper School.

• Finnish National Ballet Youth Company - 7, 8 June (7:45pm). 
  • McNicol Ballet Collective - 10 June (2:30pm and 7:45pm).
  • BRB2 - 13, 14 June (7:45pm).
  • ZooNation Company - 17 (2:30pm and 7:00pm), 18 June (12:30pm and 4:00pm). 
  • The Royal Ballet Upper School - 20, 21 June (7:00pm).  
  • Rambert School - 23, 24 June (7:00pm).

Thanks for this.  Looks interesting.  I might even forgive the poor grammar!

11 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thanks for this.  Looks interesting.  I might even forgive the poor grammar!

Proof reading not being one of the ROH's strong suits......nor mine, honestly, as I didn't even notice it. 

Edited by oncnp

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder...... 

General: 13 April 2023, 9am
Young ROH: 12 April 2023, 9am
Friends: 14 March 2023, 10am
Young Friends: 14 March 2023, 10am
Friends+: 7 March 2023, 9am
Supporting Friends: 2 March 2023, 9am
Premium 1 Friends: 23 February 2023, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 21 February 2023, 9am