Vivienne Westwood RIP

Jan McNulty

More sad news today that fashion designer Vivienne Westwood has passed away at the age of 82.

Having thought that most of her catwalk styles looked ridiculous, some years ago I went to an exhibition of fashion that featured a number of her ball gowns.  They were utterly fabulous and I saw her in a new light.

The exhibition was Vivienne Westwood: The collection of Romilly McAlpine and was on at the Walker Art Gallery in 2001.  https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/whatson/world-museum/exhibition/vivienne-westwood-collection-of-romilly-mcalpine

Edited by Jan McNulty
To add in exhibition detail
  • Like 3

Yes it is sad to hear she has died. She was somehow symbolic of the best kind of British individualism which we are sadly lacking today. 
I would never have worn any of her creations but admired people who did especially long ago in the Kings Road in Chelsea where I used to go for a weekly ballet class ( Ruth French) not far from her shop and felt very demure and ‘square’ among many there!! 
I admired her on the personal level too as she was not afraid to speak out on the causes she believed in. 
She’s no doubt already radically redesigning Pele’s football gear up there! 

• Like 2

Iconic. I was never brave enough to wear anything Vivienne Westwood when I did have the opportunity but I wish I had been.

Pelé's third World Cup is the only one I even vaguely remember, I didn't see my first live football match until the following year. I remember seeing Escape to Victory and being happily absorbed in the skills of Pelé, Ossie Ardiles, Bobby Moore and others.

I'm now waiting for the third one.

She used to run a line of ready to wear/off the peg dresses that were a lot more - er - wearable.  I bought one in a sale from a little boutique that was closing down - which I have worn for every special occasion for the past 20 years and will no doubt see me out.  No tartan, rips, slashes, huge bows, slogans or anything like that! Just very wearable, comfortable, timeless and very forgiving for a woman of any age to wear. That seems to me a real achievement in designing, far more so than all the outrageous catwalk stuff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Iconic. I was never brave enough to wear anything Vivienne Westwood when I did have the opportunity but I wish I had been.

Pelé's third World Cup is the only one I even vaguely remember, I didn't see my first live football match until the following year. I remember seeing Escape to Victory and being happily absorbed in the skills of Pelé, Ossie Ardiles, Bobby Moore and others.

I'm now waiting for the third one.

Pope Benedict has died.

One of the things about Westwood’s  clothes was that the cut and tailoring were superb. Even her bondage trousers in the early days were very high quality and far from the multitude of cheap copies that appeared - made of the best materials and silk-lined. Which is why they weren’t cheap to buy, for the time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Pope Benedict has died.

Okay that's four after Barbara Walters. This time of year it's extra hard for their loved ones as we're all expected to be full of love and joy.

Edited by Sophoife
Removed paragraph.
  • Like 1