The Crucible

Pups_mum

DD is studying The Crucible for her GCSE english lit and I'd really like to take her to see a performance as I don't think you can really get the true sense of a play til you've seen it performed. (They've watched a DVD at school but that's not the same is it?)

I was wondering if anyone knew of any theatre where this is currently being performed or is coming up later in the year. We're in the north of England but would be prepared to travel to see a good production. (Good excuse for a weekend away!) I've tried an internet search but not come up with anything current so thought I would ask here as I know a lot of people are interested in the performing arts in general, not only ballet. Thanks in advance for any info.

It may be a poor substitute, but you could rent or buy the film of The Crucible which was directed by Nicholas Hytner and starred Daniel Day-Lewis. Apparently the screenplay was done by Arthur Miller himself. I've no idea if it's a good film.

I have looked at the NODA website (re amateur performances) and there is a production at The Pump House Theatre and Arts Centre in Watford from 30 April to 4 May, with a matinee performance on 4 May as well as the evening performance. It is being performed by Rickmansworth Players ( www.rickmansworth-players.org.uk). I don't know anything about this group or the likely standard and I appreciate that it's a fair journey for you...maybe you could combine it with a London theatre trip?! ;-)